What's new

Help needed from the Tech Experts

I'm having trouble placing precisely what type of Tech I have in the photos below. It weighs 48 grams.
PXL_20220624_192515457.MP.jpg

PXL_20220624_192615802.jpg

The cap and baseplate appear to be consistent with the 1946-1950 timeframe with the straight slots in the baseplate and the short bars on the bottom of the cap. But there are some unusual characteristics of each of the three components that throw me off. I've read that during the period immediately after WW II, Gillette made lots of variations of the Tech from a bunch of different materials. This razor looks to be the epitome of that approach.

The cap looks like it's cast Zamak rather than stamped brass based on the the overall finish and what appear to be mold lines on each side of the stem. The top surface of the cap has some corrosion, but the exposed material in these corroded portions is not brass colored.

The baseplate is stamped and marked with an "S," which I believe indicates that it is stamped steel rather than brass or aluminum. It is also thinner than I've seen with the brass baseplates. The top surface of the baseplate is marked "PAT NOS. ON" and "PACKAGE," which I think is consistent with 1946-48, correct? The underside is stamped "MADE IN U.S.A.," which I think dates it closer to 1950, correct? I've never seen such a baseplate before.

When I got the razor, the handle was darkly discolored and felt like it may have been previously covered with something that had worn badly. I've read that Gillette coated the handles on some of the contract era Techs with a black coating that apparently was not very durable. This handle might have been coated that way.

The gold-colored collar at the threaded end of the handle looks pretty much the same as when I obtained the razor.

The middle portion of the handle seemed to have less coating (maybe none). I cleaned and polished this middle section with a brass wire wheel, which I believe reveals the base metal--perhaps "red brass" rather than the more typical yellow brass. Is it also possible that the handle is yellow brass that was plated with copper before it was coated? It doesn't show very well in the photos, but a portion of band between the middle portion and the lower knurled portion appears yellow rather than copper colored.

I mostly left the knurled bottom portion of the handle alone except for one of the longitudinal flat sections (like a thin channel) between some of the knurling. I put my brass wheel to one of those "channels" in the knurling, and it polished to the same "red brass" color as the middle portion of the handle.

I'd love to hear from any of you who know more about Techs from this era to help me decode just what the heck this one is. I know they are "base" razors, but they have their fans (like me).

Last edited:
I'm having trouble placing precisely what type of Tech I have in the photos below. It weighs 48 grams.
View attachment 1477559
View attachment 1477561
The cap and baseplate appear to be consistent with the 1946-1950 timeframe with the straight slots in the baseplate and the short bars on the bottom of the cap. But there are some unusual characteristics of each of the three components that throw me off. I've read that during the period immediately after WW II, Gillette made lots of variations of the Tech from a bunch of different materials. This razor looks to be the epitome of that approach.

The cap looks like it's cast Zamak rather than stamped brass based on the the overall finish and what appear to be mold lines on each side of the stem. The top surface of the cap has some corrosion, but the exposed material in these corroded portions is not brass colored.

The baseplate is stamped and marked with an "S," which I believe indicates that it is stamped steel rather than brass or aluminum. It is also thinner than I've seen with the brass baseplates. The top surface of the baseplate is marked "PAT NOS. ON" and "PACKAGE," which I think is consistent with 1946-48, correct? The underside is stamped "MADE IN U.S.A.," which I think dates it closer to 1950, correct? I've never seen such a baseplate before.

When I got the razor, the handle was darkly discolored and felt like it may have been previously covered with something that had worn badly. I've read that Gillette coated the handles on some of the contract era Techs with a black coating that apparently was not very durable. This handle might have been coated that way.

The gold-colored collar at the threaded end of the handle looks pretty much the same as when I obtained the razor.

The middle portion of the handle seemed to have less coating (maybe none). I cleaned and polished this middle section with a brass wire wheel, which I believe reveals the base metal--perhaps "red brass" rather than the more typical yellow brass. Is it also possible that the handle is yellow brass that was plated with copper before it was coated? It doesn't show very well in the photos, but a portion of band between the middle portion and the lower knurled portion appears yellow rather than copper colored.

I mostly left the knurled bottom portion of the handle alone except for one of the longitudinal flat sections (like a thin channel) between some of the knurling. I put my brass wheel to one of those "channels" in the knurling, and it polished to the same "red brass" color as the middle portion of the handle.

I'd love to hear from any of you who know more about Techs from this era to help me decode just what the heck this one is. I know they are "base" razors, but they have their fans (like me).
I think it is this. The head markings appear identical. I can only assume the handle was either swapped out, or it was the typical 1945-6 Gillette spare parts razor.

It could be that it was the original handle was anodized black, but I am guessing the top cap certainly was.

Interesting.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I think it is this. The head markings appear identical. I can only assume the handle was either swapped out, or it was the typical 1945-6 Gillette spare parts razor.
proxy.php
Ah ha! I'm not surprised to learn that mr-razor's website has a photo of my baseplate. He also has a photo of a black-handled Tech with a fat metal handle.
1938-1941 black handle Gold Tech.jpg

Maybe someone just mated this handle with the baseplate from the 1944 razor that you found? I suppose it's also possible that the parts I have are from three different razors.

Top Bottom