What's new

Help needed for stubby knot n handle.

I don’t see why not. It probably won’t win any beauty pageants but who cares, right? Worst case scenario you have a functional but odd looking brush that YOU made. Best case, it actually comes out looking pretty cool and inspires you to invest in some toys to make brushes and so many other things.

I don’t see why not. It probably won’t win any beauty pageants but who cares, right? Worst case scenario you have a functional but odd looking brush that YOU made. Best case, it actually comes out looking pretty cool and inspires you to invest in some toys to make brushes and so many other things.

Cool, ugly is ok in my books so long as it has character.

The brush that gave me the idea:
Omega-21713-Flared-Wood-Handle-Dyed-Boar-Shaving-Brush.jpg

The shot glases under consideration.
20738144651097956371.jpg -1645001141-3687964.jpg 1870808117-738729147.jpg -19824443061850854305.jpg

Btw, do u know how I can source for metal or plastic cup holders for the brushes?

Warmest regards,

Mawashi

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So @mawashi when you make the loft lower by setting it deeper
it will greatly affect the splay of the knot .
I made this simple Maple Handle with a 20mm deep socket so
you can see what affect it has the deeper you go.
If you pm me your shipping info I will send it to you so you can experiment on your own
man8.jpg

Attachments

• man2.jpg
    man2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 6
  • man3.jpg
    man3.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 5
  • man5.jpg
    man5.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 5
  • man7.jpg
    man7.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 5
If you pm me your shipping info I will send it to you so you can experiment on your ownView attachment 987071

Hi Graydog,

Many sincere thanks for your kind generosity.

I'm ok with a splay that's around 60mm as I find large splays harder to accurately lather.

I'll pm you my address,.

Many thanks again,

Mawashi

Hey guys,

I found some old junk that I think might work for a 23 or 24 mm knot.

IMG_20190604_172608.jpg IMG_20190604_172628.jpg

And old shot glass and a pill container.
I'll cut the pill container to around 15 mm or 20mm deep, fill in the shot glass with colored resin.

Cheers,

Mawashi

If you pm me your shipping info I will send it to you so you can experiment on your ownView attachment 987071

Even your simple maple handle for testing purposes looks amazing. That has some great flame in the grain.

@mawashi I'm sure someone probably mentioned this but, be sure to just use a small amount of silicone if you are testing and going to be removing the knot and resetting it. I even used a thin piece of rubber from an strethcy exercise band cut just bigger than the bottom of the knot, it made a tight enough fit to hold the knot to lather but I could easily pull the knot up a bit or press it deeper till I found the loft I liked.

Here is the thread about the method mentioned above.
By the way I like your shot glass idea, it would be cool to make the cylinder you're using to hold the knot look like some ice.

This is the first brush I made about 12 to 14 years ago. I figured it was time to make a new handle. In my inexperience I set the knot to shallow.
View attachment 954809

I broke tho old handle off and made a new one. But the glue I used originally soaked into the base of the outer hairs.
I cleaned that up but lost some of the diameter doing so. Here is the new handle with the knot very temporarily set.

View attachment 954810 View attachment 954811
I came up with what I think is a clever way to hold the knot in temporarily. I used a piece of thin stretchy exercise band and cut it just bigger than the plug and pushed it into the handle. Kind of like a jam chuck. It's pretty tight and I can use this till I get a new knot for the handle. This is also my first successful CA finish.
View attachment 954815

Even your simple maple handle for testing purposes looks amazing. That has some great flame in the grain.

@mawashi I'm sure someone probably mentioned this but, be sure to just use a small amount of silicone if you are testing and going to be removing the knot and resetting it. I even used a thin piece of rubber from an strethcy exercise band cut just bigger than the bottom of the knot, it made a tight enough fit to hold the knot to lather but I could easily pull the knot up a bit or press it deeper till I found the loft I liked.

Here is the thread about the method mentioned above.
By the way I like your shot glass idea, it would be cool to make the cylinder you're using to hold the knot look like some ice.

Hi GAW9576,

Graydog is very generous and I've been eyeing his brushes for a long while. He makes handles that are center piece quality.

They're so amazing I'm afraid to shave w em.

Your handle and reknotting of a brush is fantastic. Btw, did you seam or boil the knot as I'm thinking of that for a cheap omega knot.

The ice look its a wonderful idea but the plastic brush holder is just a cheap medicine pill container so if the resin is clear it might show some of the ugly areas of the container or the silicon glue so, I'm thinking of adding some paint to the resin to make it opague.

Once I get better quality plastic containers I'll try the ice or wine in cup look :)

Many thanks GAW9576!

I actually broke the handle with a chisel. I had set the knot with high quality two part epoxy, so I figured a chisel would be more effective than boiling. Have you seen some of my other handles.
@Graydog is a truly gifted wood turner and an extremely generous individual.

I actually broke the handle with a chisel. I had set the knot with high quality two part epoxy, so I figured a chisel would be more effective than boiling. Have you seen some of my other handles.
@Graydog is a truly gifted wood turner and an extremely generous individual.

GAW9576, Your profile pic of the blue granite handle looks spectacular.

I don't have the space to do wood working or else I'll happily be making tons of other stuff for myself.

This is stuff I used to enjoy making :)
Fishing rods
Blue Mahi Mahi Guides 001.jpg Blue Mahi Mahi Butt Wrap n Specs 001.jpg 2wbrw4x.jpeg CIMG0144.JPG

Cheers,

Mawashi

I don't have the space to do wood working or else I'll happily be making tons of other stuff for myself.

Fishing rods
View attachment 987677 View attachment 987678 View attachment 987679 View attachment 987680

Cheers,

Mawashi

Very nice thread wraps there. You could make brush handles with thread wrap. I've often thought of doing a thread wrapped pen but have never done the thread wrapping only made pens.

Cork can be used to make a very nice handle

You beat me to it. And you are absolutely right.
@mawashi If you make the handles for those rods you have everything you need to make a really cool brush handle that resembles a fishing rod handle.

Fishing rods
View attachment 987677 View attachment 987678 View attachment 987679 View attachment 987680

Cheers,

Mawashi

Very nice thread wraps there. You could make brush handles with thread wrap. I've often thought of doing a thread wrapped pen but have never done the thread wrapping only made pens.

@mawashi If you make the handles for those rods you have everything you need to make a really cool brush handle that resembles a fishing rod handle.

Fishing rods

Cheers,

Mawashi

Graydog

Biblical Innards

3 times Greg, you must be very happy :)

3 times Greg, you must be very happy :)

3 times you beat me to it?

@mawashi I forgot to mention the handle in my profile pic isn't granite, although I'm very happy that it looks like it is. It is actually from a blank I made out of black linen from the fabric store soaked in fiberglass resin, sprinkled with brass shavings then crammed I to a plastic jar.
I had well over 20 hours of work into that handle. It now belongs to my friend.
And thank you for the compliment.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Your post shows up 3 times :)

Your post shows up 3 times :)

Ha. I don't know how that happened but it's kinda funny. I obviously didn't see it till you showed me. Should I try deleting the duplicates or just leave them be?
And good morning. Hope everything is going well in your neck of the woods.
I'm getting ready to go outside and work on my chicken coop some more.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Ha. I don't know how that happened but it's kinda funny. I obviously didn't see it till you showed me. Should I try deleting the duplicates or just leave them be?
And good morning. Hope everything is going well in your neck of the woods.
I'm getting ready to go outside and work on my chicken coop some more.

The stew will change it

Top Bottom