What's new

Help! My badger fears the water!

Hi vputz,

How long were you using the vulfix brush before you had to wash it?

Would it be better to periodically was my brush?
Thanks,

Tom

I'm not sure what is in the brush cleaner packets sold by classicshaving.com but I picked up a few during a recent order and gave it a go this past Sunday. My brush sat and swirled around for an hour then came out holding half the glass of water in the mug! :)

Is this a cream sort of ritual, or maybe Rooneys are immune to soap scum? I had to shampoo my Dovo brush a few times when I first started wetshaving, but since I've switched to the Rooney brush and Harris soap I've never had to shampoo it, it's been good for 5 or 6 months now.

DoubleE said:
Emily from Em's Place recommends the following for cleaning brushes and it does the best job of any method I've tried. I believe she said on of her brush makers recommended it.

Mix a light solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid and water and soak brush in it for awhile to remove scum.

Mix a solution of 9 parts water, 1 part vinegar, and add a dash of glycerine. Soak your brush in this solution for awhile as well. (The glycerine can be purchased at any drug store)

I usually soak my brush for around 5 minutes in the Dawn solution swirling it ever so often and around 10 minutes in the water/vinegar solution.

Brush comes out wonderfully soft and holds gallons of water. This has worked much better than shampoo or Borax in my opinion.

I soaked all my brushes in a water/vinegar mixture the other day. Wow, what a difference...it has breathed new life into my brushes. They are holding more water than ever before.

TraderJoe said:
I soaked all my brushes in a water/vinegar mixture the other day. Wow, what a difference...it has breathed new life into my brushes. They are holding more water than ever before.
Joe,
Here I thought you were going to say that you liked the vinegar so much that you added olive oil and some spices! :drool: It's amazing how even the very dilute vinegar cleans off hardwater residue, renewing the hair bundle.

After some time of use, my badger accumulates oils which are contained in most shaving soaps and creams.
I have found that a brisk and thorough cleaning with dishwashing liquid cuts through all of the accumulation and brings it back to the original state.

Any truth to the rumor that owners of top end, expensive badger brushes have to use balsalmic vigegar lest their brush's epicurian pallet protest? :lol: :blink:

Tinzien said:
Any truth to the rumor that owners of top end, expensive badger brushes have to use balsalmic vigegar lest their brush's epicurian pallet protest? :lol: :blink:
Only with Extra Virgin first pressing olive oil.:thumbup1:

I know we've already moved on to the humor section of our show, but if I may, I'd like to pipe in to say that I washed my Vulfix with classic brand cleaner last night and it performed much better today than it ever has. I admit to having followed the directions that came with the brush that no additional cleaning was necessary. WRONG! It holds more water now than it did when it was new...

Top Bottom