What's new

Help! My 12 year old boy smells like an onion patch!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
He hasn't sprouted much in the way of armpit hair. I just purchased some well regarded deodorant soap, haven't been able to find an alum block yet.

Try Whole Foods if you have one in your area. They have two brands: Crystal, and Thai Crystal. They are sold as deoderant but you can use them on your face as well. They are pretty much the same. Both brands are packaged as sticks in holders similar to conventional stick deoderant. Very convenient. A large block, good for a couple of years, for about $5. Most organic or health food stores will have one of these or another brand. I have never ran across alum block at walgreens or wallmart. Of course you can buy it online, too. I think you will find an alum block will make a tremendous difference. Other deoderants mostly mask odor behind their own often (to me) hideous odor. Alum block actually prevents odor from occurring in the first place by making a very inhospitable environment for the bacteria that cause it. Plus it leaves no scent of its own behind. I most highly recommend it for him and for yourself.

Another possible source is your local Indian or Middle Eastern grocery. It may be sold as shaving alum or as deoderant alum. Either one can be used for both purposes. It should be less than a buck at an Indian grocery. I just bought some for 54 cents for a 100g block.

There are actually two different chemicals sold as alum. Either will work so don't worry about which one you are getting.

To apply, just wet it and rub it on. Easy peasy.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. The Arrid XX stick seems to be doing the trick for him, only applying once in the morning and still no "onion boy" smell by evening. I did find the Thai crystal in a stone/stick and a spray on. The stick works great for me, the spray doesn't do much though. I found the crystals shortly after his trying the Arrid, since that was working for him he hasn't tried the crystals. I really appreciate the suggestions, and I know my son is much less self conscience about it now. Thanks again!

Try getting him to double wash the pits and even apply rubbing alcohol to disenfect any bacteria. Also agree with the posters who suggest not wearing synthetic clothing for anything but athletics. It hard to get the stink out of a shirt whose sole purpose is to wick sweat away.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. The Arrid XX stick seems to be doing the trick for him, only applying once in the morning and still no "onion boy" smell by evening. I did find the Thai crystal in a stone/stick and a spray on. The stick works great for me, the spray doesn't do much though. I found the crystals shortly after his trying the Arrid, since that was working for him he hasn't tried the crystals. I really appreciate the suggestions, and I know my son is much less self conscience about it now. Thanks again!

The alum spray-ons do indeed suck. The stick or block is much more effective and it lasts a long time. You can get probably a couple of years out of one of the Thai Crystal sticks. And of course it works good for after shave face treatment, as well. Proctor & Gamble probably has collective nightmares about that stuff! Imagine how many millions of dollars they would lose if the general public came to realize they were getting thoroughly screwed with all that expensive over-scented stuff that doesn't work half as well as plain old alum which gives probably 20x more applications per dollar than all the stuff P&G spends millions of dollars promoting and marketing!

One of my boys has come down with a case of serious B.O., the regular deodorants at the store can't get him through a school day. Any reccomendations to help keep my boy from being "that smelly kid"? As a side note, this didn't happen overnight, it's been going on for about a year now. We chalked it up to him not using deodorant, poor choice of deodorant on our part, getting too sweaty at recess, but he has two brothers basically the same age and grooming habits, that do not have this problem. I've tried some of the offerings from the "natural/organic" stores to no avail, short of taking him to a doctor (which would mortify him), I thought I would check with you folks for advice.

He's probably taking "rinse off's" in the shower. You should peak in the shower to see if he's actually washing up!! Get him some AXE bodywash and Seabreeze astringent. After he gets out of the shower from using Axe bodywash, put some seabreeze astringent under his arms. He doesn't want to be the smelly kid like his dad was!! If this doesn't work he may need to go to the doctor

Attachments

• $P1040136.JPG
    $P1040136.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 188
My 12 year cannot seem to remember to put deo on--works when he does but need some input on the getting it on part of the equation. Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

When I was about 16 or so I was very active. Basketball,baseball, swim team. And I sweat non stop even when not at practice or games. And the smell.... I was so embarrassed by being the onion boy lol Well I ended up dating a girl that introduced me to a product called certain dri. It really worked wonders for me. Strong stuff. I only used it once every 2 or 3 days. If switching deodorants doesn't help to much you may try finding some. They carry it at most of the brick and mortar stores in my area. Best of luck for you both! Challenging time in a young mans life indeed.

I started shaving my armpits when I started hunting as I found the hair could be a breeding ground for the bacteria that feed on sweat and cause the smell. Now that I have a job where I routinely get sweaty and then have to deal with the general public as well, I have gone to year-round shaving, not just deer season. It works suprisingly well, when an anti-perspirant by itself simply wouldn't work. That might be too "girly" for a young man, or maybe he doesn't have underarm hair. If he does, it's another route to travel that has served me well.

When I was about 16 or so I was very active. Basketball,baseball, swim team. And I sweat non stop even when not at practice or games. And the smell.... I was so embarrassed by being the onion boy lol Well I ended up dating a girl that introduced me to a product called certain dri. It really worked wonders for me. Strong stuff. I only used it once every 2 or 3 days. If switching deodorants doesn't help to much you may try finding some. They carry it at most of the brick and mortar stores in my area. Best of luck for you both! Challenging time in a young mans life indeed.
+1 for certain dri

When I was in middle school, I had a terrible sweat problem. A friend of my older brothers' introduced me to the Crystal. Used it everyday into High School. I think I lost it before it used up. I should probably start using it again. But then, I wasn't super stinky (I was a weird preteen who appreciated showering and smelling nice), just super sweaty. The Crystal helped LOADS!

You were onion boy now your onion MAN!!

Top Bottom