What's new

Help? Merkcur 34C <> Upgrade <> Tatara

Was thinking about upgrading a Merkcur 34C with a Tatara. The Merkcur is 0.7 gap and one of the Tatara is at 0.63. Anyone shed any input on such a transition or their experience with the Tatara - Masamune verison. Is the 0.07 gap difference any thing worth trying to be considered about?

Was thinking about upgrading a Merkcur 34C with a Tatara. The Merkcur is 0.7 gap and one of the Tatara is at 0.63. Anyone shed any input on such a transition or their experience with the Tatara - Masamune verison. Is the 0.07 gap difference any thing worth trying to be considered about?
Have not used a Tatara yet but there are some threads on here - most say it's mild but still efficient. One thing to note is that, unlike the Merkur, the Tatara has negative blade exposure so you're likely to have less blade feel than the Merkur. If I may suggest, the Haircut & Shave No. 75 is in the same price range as a Tatara. It has neutral blade exposure & for me it shaves much better than the Merkur as far as comfort goes.

I am bit of newbie to wet shaving. Do you mind enlightening me about what Negative and Neutral mean?
Tatara has a diagram on their website that shows it nicely in comparing the Masamune & Nodachi. See the diagram here: Specifications - Efficient and Comfortable Shaving Razor | Tatara - https://tatararazors.com/specifications
The Masamune has a negative blade exposure of -.13mm, i.e. the blade is behind the plane of the top cap & the base. Neutral - the blade would be flush with the plane; positive - the blade would stick out just beyond the plane.

This chart explains the combinations of top cap & base plate that get you the blade exposure you want:Shaving with Masamune’s safety razor online | Tatararazors - https://tatararazors.com/masamune-specifications. The more the blade exposure, the more you'll feel the blade on your skin, i.e. the aggressiveness of the shave. Blade gap plays a role too. A .75 blade gap may be more efficient than a .55 gap - but a .75 gap with positive blade exposure will feel more aggressive than .75 gap with netral exposure. Hope that helps you understand.

I have shaved with both the Merkur 34C and the Tatara Masumune. I also have the Haircut & Shave NO75 that's mentioned above. Both are much smoother than the 34C yet efficient. I think the Tatara is my favorite. And, it is a bit less in price than the NO75. Just be aware that it is so smooth with so little blade feel that you may be inclined to forget your technique. All this, of course, is IMHO.

Thats awesome to hear. Thanks so much for your feedback. I ordered it with both closed combs - masamune and nodachi to see what the blade difference is like. Overall went with Masamune cap and handle too.

I have shaved with both the Merkur 34C and the Tatara Masumune. I also have the Haircut & Shave NO75 that's mentioned above. Both are much smoother than the 34C yet efficient. I think the Tatara is my favorite. And, it is a bit less in price than the NO75. Just be aware that it is so smooth with so little blade feel that you may be inclined to forget your technique. All this, of course, is IMHO.

How do you rate the N075 against the Tatara on smoothness?

Tatara is more efficient than it feels and rewards good technique.

I did think about getting the Silversmith but it seems to be heavier and has positive blade exposure (no idea how much). Not sure about the handle design though.

Top Bottom