What's new

Help me with my tobacco problem - Cavendish Black Extrait?

Hi gents, I'm truly rocking (and loving) C & S Cuba this summer, but I find the longevity and projection to be poor (I guess this is why it's labeled as a cologne...). In any case, I'm keen to get hold of another worthy tobacco scent (I've tried Aramis Havana, but I found the tobacco element to be too much in the background, and overshadowed by other elements - I want the tobacco to lead the parade). I've got my eye on TGQ Cavendish Black Extrait, but I can't seem to find much useful information on it (the entries in the reviews section don't provide any info on the nature of the scent, its development, sillage, etc).

Aside from the Cavendish Black, is there anything else out there that you could recommend?

Edit: I must also mention in advance that I've tried Quorum, and was not particularly taken with it. If there is any real tobacco in there, I couldn't smell it (tobacco flower, maybe).

Last edited:
I haven't tried it myself but I've heard good things about Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125943.html

In the reviews, you'll probably get a lead on some other fragrances with prominent tobacco notes.

While it is far from a pure tobacco, I can't say enough about Vintage Tabarome. It turns up ever now and then on the B/S/T, and you can probably pick up a decant on basenotes too. On the other hand, I didn't care much for the new Tabarome when I tried it. However, StylinLA gives it good marks and he clearly knows what he's talking about.

I've never smelled it, but I hear that the Cavendish Black has a true pipe tobacco smell.

I wonder if you could get Colleen to sell you a decant so you could smell it yourself before you bought a whole bottle? Might be worth a call.

To me Cavendish Black has a true pipe tobacco smell, reminds me of Peretti's in Park Square (a tobacconist in Boston). You can and probably should buy a decant. It's strong, you don't need much. It also was the gateway to me looking for other tobacco based colognes. The Tom Ford sounds interesting (between Vertigo, StylinLa and Nid I'm going broke)

Last edited:
Thanks, gents, this is some good info! Tobacco Vanille just got pushed closer to the front of the queue on my "to try" list, and the Basenotes review also mentions something called Bogart Pour Homme, which I'll need to be trying sometime soon... I see that TGQ does offer samples on their site (playing the international shipping lottery is a long and painful process though, especially if I order the sample and end up wanting a full bottle).

@Nid Hog: did you eventually buy some No. 88 shaving soap, or did reason and sanity prevail?

@Nid Hog: did you eventually buy some No. 88 shaving soap, or did reason and sanity prevail?

I haven't been home yet, so I'm holding off pulling the trigger on some until I get back. I did wind up overspending on a straight, so that might crimp my buying for a little while.

Try Santa Maria Novella's Aqua di Cuba. Citrus mint on top, giving an impression of a mojito. A smoked or lit tobacco note, but a very good smoked or lit tobacco as befits its name, not a cheap cigar.

Of the Cuba themed scents I have tried, this is the only one that hints at anything I'd associate with the island where I was born. The warmth of the smoking cigar brings memories of the (to me then) old folks sitting around the table playing dominoes at night talking politics and baseball.

Longevity is impressive, 8+ hours in humid hot Miami.

In the good old days, long long ago and far far away, I smoked a pipe. One of the great side benefits was a pure gazelle pouch filled with an aromatic tobacco carried in the inside pocket of my jacket. It would warm with body heat and give off the most incredible aroma of leather and tobacco. People standing very near would often comment on it. As many feel a cologne should be worn in a similarly discreet manor this could be viewed as an alternative way of experiencing the real thing!!

I've been on a tobacco scent hunt for the fall/winter season as well with no luck.

I received my sample of cavendish black in the mail a few days ago and was quite disappointed honestly.

It smelled like cloves and an overkill of a bad mixture of my grandmother's pumpkin spice potpourri with lots and lots of cloves. Did I mention clove?...

I got a faint tobacco note, but it was not at all what I was expecting or hoping for.

I do smoke a pipe occassionally and know what a good pipe tobacco scent should smell like. That was not at all it for me, but YMMV.

I have some Santa Maria Novella samples coming in the mail (Toscano, Cuba, Peau D'Espagne, and a few others) and hope one of them will fit the bill.

I requested a sample of TF tobacco vanille directly from Tom Ford, but their customer service chunked me the proverbial deuce and decided to hold off on replying to my email. Guess I'll have to buy a sample...

Closest thing to tobacco so far for me is Versace Dreamer (only after it has sit for a few hours) and even that is not really that close.

The hunt continues....

I haven't tried it myself but I've heard good things about Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125943.html

In the reviews, you'll probably get a lead on some other fragrances with prominent tobacco notes.

While it is far from a pure tobacco, I can't say enough about Vintage Tabarome. It turns up ever now and then on the B/S/T, and you can probably pick up a decant on basenotes too. On the other hand, I didn't care much for the new Tabarome when I tried it. However, StylinLA gives it good marks and he clearly knows what he's talking about.

For tobacco, Vintage Tabarome is king to me. But it's more of an expensive cigar tobacco note. It will be hard to find and $$$. There seems to be another small batch going into the Creed Boutique in NY if you're inlcined to run it down. $405 for 50ml.

Tabarome Millesime is an underrated frag due to its inability to live up to the vintage version. They never should have named it "Tabarome." Causes too much comparison to the vintage. It is worth sampling. Citrus, ginger, tobacco with pretty good longevity. I guess it leans more pure tobacco than pipe tobacco.

For pipe tobacco, which I sense Black Cavendish is, I'd recommend Odori Tabacco. Some deals can be found on it. It doesn't get big play at Basenotes because it's quite pricey, and a brand that isn't widely distributed. All of the Odori's are very solid scents for sure. But to many frag heads, they don't "stand apart" and while inordinately well designed, they are too low key for some. However, Odori Tobacco is one of my faves. Very manly. A gentleman's scent for sure that would be a fine daily scent. A great balance of pipe tobacco and vanilla. Turin loved it. Good for work or play I'd say. You can get a sample from Lucky Scent.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille is going to be a bit more of a challenge for many wet shavers. I have it. I like it a lot. But you have to understand it's vanilla almost to the point of being a gourmand (as it is, many DO consider it a gourmand).

It is a nice scent, but be clear the vanilla dominates the tobacco. It is a killer vanilla for sure, with just enough tobacco to remind you it's there. It can be LOUD. I will wear it to work, but I have a casual SoCal office environment and they all think I'm nuts anyway ("15 minutes to shave! Are you crazy?!"). I have to be in the right frame of mind to wear TV. Not so with Odori Tabacco.

For most guys here, Tobacco Vanille is going to be more of a casual or dating scent I would assert. Women like it on men because it smells frakking delicious. It's been likened to a tray of French pastries. It will freak out many new to men's scents. It is a very contemporary, modernized take on a classic men's "pipe tobacco" scent. As with all the Tom Ford Private Collection, it is a "unisex" scent which causes some men to bang themselves on the head like Rainman. I doubt many women would wear it. That I can tell from threads and posts- Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather are the top two sellers to men among the Tom Ford Private Collection. Both are excellent, POTENT and quite linear.

Last edited:
I apologise for abandoning this thread for a few days (rough week), but thanks again for all the input. The SMN gets generally very good reviews on Basenotes, so it's something that I see myself trying in the near future. It's fairly easy to get hold of samples of vintage Tabarome, but more sizable quantities are a lot more difficult (and pricey) to come by - I would like to sample it in any case though, just so I can relate to all the love it gets on this forum.

I've also got an update on my search.

I received a sample of the Toscano from SMN. Not impressed. I don't get the tobacco scent it claims to have. They threw in a shave cream sample for me for free which is a great bonus. I haven't used it yet tho. I haven't received the others I requested from them.

I sampled the Tabarome Millesime by Creed at Saks and I do like it. It is not an exact tobacco scent, but there is a hint of a tobacco smell. This one reminds me of D&G, but the Tabarome is better. It's a great fragrance, but still not quite what I was looking for.

Then, while at Saks I tested THE one. The Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford. Ladies and Gentlemen, THIS one finally smells like tobacco... and it is nothing short of amazing. The vanilla is definitely prevalent, so if you aren't fond of vanilla, skip this one, but for me it was the absolute perfect portrayal of vanilla pipe tobacco.

The Tom Ford will be hard to beat and I will most likely be doing a split and buying the huge $465 bottle in the coming weeks. PM me if any of you guys are interested in participating in the split.

Then, while at Saks I tested THE one. The Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford. Ladies and Gentlemen, THIS one finally smells like tobacco... and it is nothing short of amazing. The vanilla is definitely prevalent, so if you aren't fond of vanilla, skip this one, but for me it was the absolute perfect portrayal of vanilla pipe tobacco.

The Tom Ford will be hard to beat and I will most likely be doing a split and buying the huge $465 bottle in the coming weeks. PM me if any of you guys are interested in participating in the split.

Glad you like it. I'm dusting it off today for a wear. It is quite nice.
It IS vanilla-y.

I've tried a sample of Sonoma Scent Studio's Tabac Aurea. It definitely had a pipe tobacco/woodsy smell to it that I really enjoyed.

The notes according to the website: Cedar, sandalwood, tobacco, leather, vetiver, patchouli, clove, labdanum absolute, tonka bean, amber, vanilla, musk.

On a side note: It's not tobacco, but their Winter Woods smells nice also.

Try Santa Maria Novella's Aqua di Cuba. Citrus mint on top, giving an impression of a mojito. A smoked or lit tobacco note, but a very good smoked or lit tobacco as befits its name, not a cheap cigar.

Of the Cuba themed scents I have tried, this is the only one that hints at anything I'd associate with the island where I was born. The warmth of the smoking cigar brings memories of the (to me then) old folks sitting around the table playing dominoes at night talking politics and baseball.

Longevity is impressive, 8+ hours in humid hot Miami.

This sounds cool!

So I took SylinLA's advice and ordered a small decant of the Odori Tabacco. I tested a bit on the wrist and was very pleased with the fragrance. There is still a hint of vanilla especially on the dry down, but other than that, it's simply a very rich pipe tobacco. Amazing stuff.

So today, I shaved with Castle Forbes Cedar and Sandalwood shave cream and applied a generous portion of the ASB of the same scent to the face and neck. I don't really get much sandalwood from this, but to me it smells like a bag of fresh cedar carvings.

Next, I plunged for a few squirts of the Odori and came out of the bathroom smelling like I had been locked up in a humidor for a week. The smell was a beautiful mix and quite amazing.

My only gripe is with the longevity of the Odori. As it is an EDT, it performs well below the Tom Ford TV offering. Since the Odori is also quite pricey (not quite as much as the TF, but still not cheap) I am on the fence as to which to buy. Maybe I should buy both....:w00t: If the Mrs. wouldn't shoot me....

Last edited:
^^^^ Longevity is one of the monster issues with frags, especially when they cost $$$.

I get pretty good longevity out of Odori, but it is probably not as tenacious as TV. You will likely end up with both as I did. I held out a long time before I purchased TV though.

Personally, I find the heavy vanilla in TV more casual; dating. Odori Tabacco a bit more restrained; traditional pipe scent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom