What's new

Help me with my next razor: a hundred bucks in hand

I have a lot of razors. Not nearly as much as some here, but more than I can use. I have a lot of vintage Gillettes, an ikon El Jefe (Artist Club Blades), an ATT H2, and a Rockwell 6S. I have used my ATT H2 the most the past 6 months, but I always come back to the Rockwell now and then. Lately I have been using the Rockwell more often.

I have said to my wife many times over the past year and a half (since I first got my Rockwell) that if someone put a gun to my head and told me I had to choose one of my razors to use for the rest of my life, I wouldn't even have to think about it. Rockwell 6S.

IMO, the best $100 you could spend on a razor. And you did say you wanted to spend $100 on a razor, not try to figure out how to have money left over, right? If so, Rockwell all the way.

I am hard core vintage except for Wolfman but the Rockwell line has me intrigued. Like the look of that Model T.

They say 100 of their Rockwell blades are good for 2 years of shaves. I haven't seen a DE blade that is comfortable to me after about 3 or 4 days tops. Anything special about their blades?

I am hard core vintage except for Wolfman but the Rockwell line has me intrigued. Like the look of that Model T.

They say 100 of their Rockwell blades are good for 2 years of shaves. I haven't seen a DE blade that is comfortable to me after about 3 or 4 days tops. Anything special about their blades?

No. Average to below average.

The worst blades I have ever used. Their blades are as bad as their razors are good, IMO.

The worst blades I have ever used. Their blades are as bad as their razors are good, IMO.
I am not a fan either, though I don't know that I'd go that far. For me, they are similar to Derby/Dorco, which means, ironically, that they don't pair well with the 6s (Astras rock in that razor, for me) but may do well in more aggressive razors such as a Futur.

I assume he means the 6c
proxy.php

I would say from my experience of these blades (I tried a tuck of five blades a while back), they are not bad, but definitely only last a few days for me. The fourth day I was getting too much tugging and pulling. There is definitely nothing special about their blades.

As the thread title states I have a hundred bucks to play with. Considering an ATT Calypso, Rockwell.....I am pretty well set on vintage Gillettes at this point.

Any others I should be considering ? I could bump up to stainless as a vendor has ATT on sale....as does WCS (their house brand razors).

Thanks!
Try the Parker Variant. Just picked one up, and it kicked my 1961 Slim to the drawer.

The Calypso is nice. I would prefer stainless, but they are still ATT's. Ikon's labeled as Ikon Shavecraft are aluminum heads and nice stainless handles.

Another vote for the Rockwell 6s, and if I had to pick one, I'd go for the 6s. For me, the Progress (and therefore likely by extension the Variant), while an awesome razor, just can't match the smoothness of the 6s. But you may not have to be limited to picking just one of these two . . . sort of.

Others on B&B have mentioned that the just released Rockwell 6c (which is the chrome plated version of the 6s) has the same head geometry as the 6s, and provides an equally great shave. If true, and with six plate settings included, at $50, the 6c is a no brainer in terms of value. Go with the 6c, and with your savings over the 6s, you can still pick up the Variant.

Top Bottom