What's new

Help me with my next razor: a hundred bucks in hand

As the thread title states I have a hundred bucks to play with. Considering an ATT Calypso, Rockwell.....I am pretty well set on vintage Gillettes at this point.

Any others I should be considering ? I could bump up to stainless as a vendor has ATT on sale....as does WCS (their house brand razors).

Thanks!

Wunderbar is right around that price point, and is well reviewed. ATT's are works of art as well. Those would be my top 2 thoughts if you're looking to splurge on yourself.

Hate to recommend a zamak razor, but you could get a Futur and have money left over for software.
If you're gonna buy a Futur, might as well buy a $12 mingshi instead imo. Basically the same razor, but way more dough leftover for other goodies. :001_302:

I would love to try a Rockwell 6S. However, I would have to recommend a vintage Gillette, such as a super speed. It will leave you with as much as $80 or more in your hands.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would bump up to the stainless steel ATT so you can get an open comb. I like the weight as well. I have the M2 with the Atlas handle and it's hard to beat.

Have you thought about SE razors? There are some cool things happening with the Artist Club blades. The Brass General is going for $89 bucks right now. Take a look at the section and see for yourself.

If you want a quantum leap in efficiency (in my experience), consider a PAA DOC Evolution in aluminum. $99 for a really close, long-lasting shave. If you're oriented toward mild razors (which, based on your positive experience with vintage Gillettes, I suspect), the Rockwell 6S is a great solution for the same price, although you might find it cheaper on the BST, as I did.

If I was going to spend that kind of money on a razor, it would be the Rockwell 6S. That's 6 razors which so many people go on and on about. In fact, there was a recent 'you can only have one razor' thread and the vast majority of responses were 'Rockwell 6S.'

Have you thought about SE razors? There are some cool things happening with the Artist Club blades. The Brass General is going for $89 bucks right now. Take a look at the section and see for yourself.
+1 On the Brass General. Elegant, simple and a modern classic. Plus, the AC style blades are about as good a blade there is right now. The 6s is a good razor. Plenty of plates to customize it to your liking.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
If you want a quantum leap in efficiency (in my experience), consider a PAA DOC Evolution in aluminum. $99 for a really close, long-lasting shave. If you're oriented toward mild razors (which, based on your positive experience with vintage Gillettes, I suspect), the Rockwell 6S is a great solution for the same price, although you might find it cheaper on the BST, as I did.

Excellent ideas.

For a stainless I'd go for a ATT. There are high praises for the Parker Variant, well made and adjustable. I've been using mine for over a month and love it. But the ATT would be my first choice, from mild to aggressive.

Great thoughts all around...thank you...and several that I hadn't began to think about. I will post pics once I decide and the goods arrive.

I keep seeing this Valencia open comb slant w/case and blade holders on the bay for around $115 from France. If I had a whole buck to blow right now that thing would be on it's way to me as we speak. Since really getting to know my PAA OC slant I have been searching for a similar razor but metal instead of Bakelite, seems these valencias are my only option.

So yea, that

I guess the easiest way to about it is: What are you trying to accomplish with a razor addition?

With $100 you've got a pretty good availability of items. Are you trying to add a fancy shelf piece? Well consider mint vintage in a case

A functional item along the lines of your daily driver but maybe an upgrade to say stainless steel for example? ATT or Rockwell would probably be your best bet

To try different types of razors you haven't before? There are plenty of modern slants, open combs, different materials, etc that can be had very affordably so you could get several for under $100

Regardless of what you do just keep in mind that cost doesn't always mean quality. Meaning that you shouldn't drop $100 on a single razor simply because it costs $100 "so it has to be better" because $20 vintage gillettes can still look and function like new and a $40 zamak 37c will last a lifetime if taken care of properly

Top Bottom