What's new

Help Me Wash Pomade from my hair

So I have been experimenting with pomade. Started with the water based stuff that washed out pretty easy. But being a bit curoius, I started with some of the heavier grease (Dax, Murray). I actually like the look and performace of the true hair grease, but I'm having a heck of a time getting it all out of my hair. I have been using the Axe Clean Shampoo and Prell. Neither one of these gets my hair squeaky clean after 2-3 good scrubbings. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Are you using a lot of product? It's best applied by only the finger tips, and keep the concentration to a minimum everywhere except the most needed areas. If too much pomade is not the problem, perhaps a different shampoo (or pomade) is in order.

I like the American Crew pomade, and it washes out just fine with an almond size dollop of normal herbal essence shampoo.

Are you using a lot of product? It's best applied by only the finger tips, and keep the concentration to a minimum everywhere except the most needed areas. If too much pomade is not the problem, perhaps a different shampoo (or pomade) is in order.

I like the American Crew pomade, and it washes out just fine with an almond size dollop of normal herbal essence shampoo.

I don't think I am over-applying the pomade. But the Dax and Murray is the full grease pomade, not the water based, so it is hard to clean completely. I will try the groom and clean method mentioned above. I checked that out online and it seems to be effective.

I sometimes use Murray with some Jeris Hair Tonic. The tonic seems to make the pomade come out easier when washing. Also, it allows my comb to move easier through my hair when styling or restyling.

Dawn dish soap will get anything greasy out of your hair - think the little birds after oil spills. But it will dry it out. You will need some intense restorative conditioner afterwards.

Put in vegetable oil or something like that (I used baby cause it's what I had) and then dawn.
Gets it out real nice. therebelrouser (google it) has a lot of nice info on pomades btw.

So I have been experimenting with pomade. Started with the water based stuff that washed out pretty easy. But being a bit curoius, I started with some of the heavier grease (Dax, Murray). I actually like the look and performace of the true hair grease, but I'm having a heck of a time getting it all out of my hair. I have been using the Axe Clean Shampoo and Prell. Neither one of these gets my hair squeaky clean after 2-3 good scrubbings. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Seabreeze will help rid that built up pomade from your hair.

I like the American Crew pomade, and it washes out just fine

+1 to this. I just picked up a new container of it that was packaged with the American Crew 3-in-1 wash. (body, shampoo, conditioner) The pomade is great. I've only used the 3-in-1 once but it seems good so far. Hopefully after a week of showers it hasn't dried my hair out.

Supposedly putting the shampoo to your dry hair THEN washing helps...I wouldn't know myself, just heard this before.

+1 to this. I just picked up a new container of it that was packaged with the American Crew 3-in-1 wash. (body, shampoo, conditioner) The pomade is great. I've only used the 3-in-1 once but it seems good so far. Hopefully after a week of showers it hasn't dried my hair out.
IIRC American Crew is mostly water-based stuff.
I tried the medium hold the other day and had no luck.

I had been using Brylcreem and for some reason, my hair started getting a waxy residue on it. I have fairly short hair and I actually just washed the hair with my bar of soap and it all came out. Obviously I stopped using Brylcreem as washing my hair with soap is not the way to go over a period of time. But it was good for a quick fix.

I had been using Brylcreem and for some reason, my hair started getting a waxy residue on it. I have fairly short hair and I actually just washed the hair with my bar of soap and it all came out. Obviously I stopped using Brylcreem as washing my hair with soap is not the way to go over a period of time. But it was good for a quick fix.
In all honesty, Brylcreem and Pomade are miles apart in cleaning. No idea how that built up on your hair though.

put some olive oil in your hair let it sit while you are in the shower then wash it out with shampoo, I have had 2 weeks of pomade (black and white) in my hair and it came out in the first try.

put some olive oil in your hair let it sit while you are in the shower then wash it out with shampoo, I have had 2 weeks of pomade (black and white) in my hair and it came out in the first try.
This! Works great for removing Rumble 59 Schmiere from my hair.

Most of the pomade removing shampoos don't work very well, and can be harsh on your hair. Same with dish soaps like Dawn, which works great, but is very drying to the hair and damaging.

Petroleum based pomades are great, and they don't flake like the newer water based ones tend to do, but it can be a real hassle to get it out of your hair. Oil is actually great at cutting grease, and doesn't damage your hair. Using some warm olive in your hair and letting it soak for 15-20 minutes should cut the pomade out of your hair, and leave your locks shiny and manageable.

Hi Cigator and the gang. I'm new so just let me know if I break any forum courtesy rules.

+1 on the Olive oil soak (or canola or soybean...) to break down grease.

Please remember to keep conditioning. Grease in, grease out, clarifying shampoo, dishwashing detergent can be very taxing on your hair.

I think it's fairly common to leave your grease in for a few days. When I decide to use Schmiere I usually do it for the weekend (Friday night, Sat morning) and by Monday, with regular shower, shampoo routing I'm fairly clean by Monday, assuming I'm not adding more everyday. I'd rather use harsh detergents on my pillow case and towels than on my head.

+1 on the Groom and Clean, it works for me...I also just leave the grease in over the weekend, then wear the water based stuff during the week.

Just use extra conditioner and let it sit for a few minutes. That's what I do when I use Murrays and that stuff is thick.

Thanks for the input. I have had decent results with Groom and Clean. I rub it into my hair before I shower and use Neutrogena clarifying shampoo and most of my hair is squeaky clean.

Top Bottom