What's new

Help Me Understand Auction for Double Ring Tin Box

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
This is the completed auction:
12 individual bidders; is this the value to a collector of a tin box?
Does having the box increase the value of an orphan double ring by that much?
Help.
Tom
Check out this thread, perhaps it will help: Gilllette DR Tin on.... but to answer your questions from my POV,
  1. It certainly isn't THAT valuable to me, but apparently it was to some collector.

2. I suspect if you have an orphan DR with a serial number that takes you into late 1904 and/or 1905, you may have a difficult time convincing folks that the razor and box were "paired together" back in the day. And again, the increase in value to me wouldn't approach that; but I guessing some collector(s) would/do feel differently.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If you have one of the early DR's with no box it would be worth it to the right collector. Who is to say your DR was not in that box originally, there is no way to know.

My DR is a 1905 with a box so it has no value to me.

R

romsitsa

Yes, it can be that valuable for a dedicated collector. But I don't think it would add value to an orphan double ring, as no litho tin set (complete with razor) surfaced and no one knows wether these tins were actually used (sold/sent out for trials). So one would have to source some very new evidence that the "set" is matching.

These came most likely after the plain cardboard boxes and before the leather lined wood cases, so are the first cases which can be identified as made by/for Gillette.
And litho tins are beautiful, imho.

Wow, that is only the third one I have ever seen and the first time I’ve seen the sides. If I was single, I probably would have been bidding till the end.

I have been working on having a friend do a wooden version for me. He does small detailed signs etc with laser software. I’ll post when I get it done. A tad cheaper but admittedly much less cool than an original tin of course.

Here's the explanation from the person that bought it. It's Matt from Razor Emporium. It's ultra rare, and he wanted to add one to his collection.

IMG_7036.jpg

IMG_7037.jpg

IMG_7035.jpg

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I found the case in a listing a few months ago on another site. I was trying to buy with no luck. The sellers went out of business. I was following it thru liquidation until I found it a week before it went to eBay. I almost had it, but the manager of the pawn shop that had it decided to auction it off. Try again

897B95F5-1BD9-4032-B070-AD128A4D1B22.jpeg
A4D9CC6C-A8E2-41A3-ADD7-D2D851EAF0BE.jpeg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
My 1903 DR would look great in that tin. Fortunately, I dont have that kind of disposable income.

This is an awesome peice I know of 3 with felt maybe 4 if I go through my records. This was the first case design that they probably never sold and decided to go with the leather cases. No proof but I think they did not even finish felting the original tins they first ordered.

Top Bottom