What's new

Help me to find the right Shaving Bowl

Hey Guys,

I haven't posted for a while and I still check out and read the latest post on this fourm.

I was thinking to get my own shaving bowl but I don't know where could I buy it. I'm looking the right price to get it. I like the round size bowl either not too small or maybe large size. Do you know where can I find it.

Does Ikea has it? what about Bed/bath and beyond? Walmart? or anything on the web?

My shaving brush is fine brush with curvy handle which I brought it back in April. I try with my brush in small cereal bowl and work out pretty good but it kind of messy when I lathering my shaving cream. I want it like maybe medium or large which is ok.

so please help me out.

I wish all of you a Happy New Year.

Chris:confused:

I would go to your nearest retail store and look in the section where they sell plates and bowls. You should find a nice plain bowl to meet your needs. I like to look for a mug / bowl that I would love to make hot chocolate in or my favorite soup... that insures it will be big enough.

If the weater was nice, you could look at garage / yard sales and find something great but I don't think many people are up for it in Jersey right now, its a little cool. :biggrin: Have a Happy and SAFE New Year.

Chris --

For a lather bowl, get something 4.5in to 5.5in diameter, 1.25 to 2.5in tall, non-white so you can see the lather develop, with a glazed interior. Make sure that it is crockery or stoneware so it will retain heat. Get something cheap, $2-$5 at Wal-mart, Target, K-mart, etc.

In general, avoid 'purpose made' shaving bowls/mugs from shave vendors --they're a poor value and most are unsuitable for building a lather. The 'purpose made' soap bowls offered by shaving vendors (C&E, EJ, and the like) are too small and overpriced, IMO. Most of them are quite attractive and are quite high quality, but they are 'soap holders' not 'lather bowls'.

-- John Gehman

i picked up a nice oversized mug at bed bath and beyond that has been perfect. holds lots of heat and lather does not come out. cost was $3.99.

i picked up a nice oversized mug at bed bath and beyond that has been perfect. holds lots of heat and lather does not come out. cost was $3.99.

I think I got the same thing. I was a large soup mug with a handle. I got the brown one.

I picked up a ceramic ladle holder from Target. It's shaped like a big spoon with a curved handle. It works much better than the shaving mug I have and the handle makes it easier to hold on to while making lather.

...In general, avoid 'purpose made' shaving bowls/mugs from shave vendors --they're a poor value and most are unsuitable for building a lather. The 'purpose made' soap bowls offered by shaving vendors (C&E, EJ, and the like) are too small and overpriced, IMO. Most of them are quite attractive and are quite high quality, but they are 'soap holders' not 'lather bowls'.

-- John Gehman

This may be overpriced, but I think it's great. It also came with some Col. Conk soap. It's a purpose made bowl from a shave vendor, but I paid the premium because it's hand made in the USA. What a concept! Make and sell things here. That's another reason I love wet shaving. So many of the associated products are made in the USA. Plus, I think the bowl looks nice. Hasn't been too small for my needs either.

-Andy

I use a small Pyrex serving bowl that fits nicely in the palm of my hand. I use the bowl for creams and I have an Old Spice Shaving Mug for cake soap.

I have a lather bowl from Dirty Bird and I must say that it is what a lathering bowl should be. It is small enough so you can hold it but the really neat feature is that the rim is curved over slightly so that when you lather the lather stays in the bowl, for the most part.

http://www.dirtybirdpottery.com/potteryandhoney.html

The bowl by itself is $12 and shipping brings it up, but you get a box that makes sure that your goods are in one piece. She does a really good job at turning out a quality product and I have the Moss bowl and it does not have the rim that I described but it is a good product also.

Take Care,
Richard

@Chris: if you think about shipping from Germany is still fine for you I have a great adress: Schwarzweißkeramik (transl.: "black & white ceramics"). Ansgar, the owner, is a fine guy and I think he could/would help you..

So far
Oliver

I was debating on trying one of these out so I could see how well it holds heat, but they are really fragile.
proxy.php

I just picked this up this week and it works way better than the soup mug I was using. It allows me to use less SC too.

Crate and Barrel after Christmas sell $1.95.

Inside diameter is 4.5" and the inside depth is a little over 2.5". In my picture the inside looks white but it is actually tan. It's easy to see the lather develop. The ridges make it easy to hold onto too. I like it. :001_smile

Here's a link and photo:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=3034&f=29533

proxy.php

Top Bottom