What's new

Help me to find the right Shaving Bowl

If you have a large shaving expenditure then I'd recommend a scuttle. I take mine and fill the inner and outer chamber with water, microwave for 3 minutes. Instead of dumping the hot water out of the bowl to make room for soap/cream, I put a towel in and let it soak up the hot water and use that towel to prep my beard. Good Luck Chris.

Well I bought a bowl from Rite Aid for $ 4.00 ..

proxy.php

I use a simple ceramic bowl I found at the Dollar Tree for a buck seven after tax.:smile:

I too have a wonderful latte mug I got at the dollar tree, or whatever my local dollar store is (they all blur together). When I realized I like a larger lathering area, I went there again and bought a nice wide bowl, I'm still down only pocket change.

walmart

They have a large selection of bowls that are great for lather. I personally prefer something like a very large mug that has enough roundness to build a good lather and then the side go strait, helps keep the lather in the bowl IMO.

Or find two bowls of different sizes that work with one sitting inside the other. Instant scuttle! I have a large mug that I set a lathering bowl into. Neat thing is the lathering bowl has a bit of a base to it, which works perfectly as it insreases the surface area absorbing more heat from the water.

I keep looking for one of those wide latte/soup mugs locally and am not finding one... Local Wally-World is a no go. No at the Starshmucks. No at the mega stores at the mall (Sears, JC-Penny, ect). Next stop will be the Bed Bath & Beyond.

The elusive mug will be mine...

I've been eyeballing this bowl too. It looks like it comes in at the top and would keep the lather from escaping. Is this true? My other concern is that it wouldn't be big enough. What size brush do you use in it?

I have one of these. Got it in the mail just yesterday and have only used it once. I like it.

Inside measurements are:
width at rim 3 5/8 in
depth 1 3/4 in -- 1 7/8 in

Overall outside measurements:
width 4 1/4 in
depth 2 in

And yes, the sides are curved so that the rim is a little narrower than the max width half way up. Completely smooth inside -- glazed, no ridges, etc..

I am not yet sure if it is just a little small. It is the right size for producing just the right amount of lather, but it is hard not to bang the brush handle against the rim while working up the lather. This may just be my clumsiness. Much bigger and it wouldn't be as easy to hold in your hand.

My brush is a Vulfix 2234. 50mm handle and 50mm loft. A brush with a taller loft might help prevent banging the handle, but I don't know. Perhaps not.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got mine in a sale from a kitchenware store. It's a very small bowl large and not too deep. I would say around 3 in diameter and 1 1/2 in high. It's not very pretty but since they were 0.99 I bough 4. I had a mug before and broke it. The handle is fun to hold when you are mixing but the bowl is more convinient in my case (take less room). I should post a picture one day... Oh, and as already mentionned, do not get something too deep. I used to knock the sides of the cup on every turn when I pick my first mug out of the kitchen... Cheers, Luc

I bought a great ceramic bowl for $2 at K-Mart. It's slightly textured on the inside which causes most anything to lather up a LOT faster than the smooth latte mug I was using.

You can always ditch the bowl thing and just lather on your face :wink:

Thats exactly what I end up doing. I usually face lather myself and my bowl just sits there.

I get the warmest lather by using this method

1. run the brush under hot tap water
2. placng a almond size amout of cream in the brush about 1/4 down in the center
3 I hold the tips closed with my hand so it doesnt get soaked with water and run it under hot tap allowing the tips to get wet and warm up the bristles.

4 face lather and enjoy the warmest lather ever.

Ive tried all kinds of things and this always gets me the warmest lather

anyone else every try it ?

I have done many similar things in the past. Now I just leave my brush soaking in hot water while I shower. Then I just cake some soap (I am not a cream guy) onto the brush and lather on my face for a few minutes. The only downside I have found with face lathering is that in between passes your lather and brush cool down. Anyway to beat that problem?

Lathering in a mug or bowl is fine for some, but I get better shaves with the face lather approach.

I have done many similar things in the past. Now I just leave my brush soaking in hot water while I shower. Then I just cake some soap (I am not a cream guy) onto the brush and lather on my face for a few minutes. The only downside I have found with face lathering is that in between passes your lather and brush cool down. Anyway to beat that problem?

A scuttle would keep your lather and brush warm between passes. I have a coffee cup I put in a bowl of hot water and put my brush in that.

My wife bought me this rice bowl at the "World Market" it was on sale, cost about $2.00:

It works very well, and keeps my lather nice and warm.

My wife bought me this rice bowl at the "World Market" it was on sale, cost about $2.00:

It works very well, and keeps my lather nice and warm.

I looked at that exact bowl on the 11th in a world market. I was looking for a black bowl, and it didn't come in a black version or I would have bought it. Looked very nice and like it would hold heat and whip up some mean lather.

Top Bottom