What's new

Help me select my first 'adult' fragrance

Long post ahead, sorry.

Hi all, stumbled across B&B five years ago or so now after wanting to learn more about wet shaving, but I have avoided the fragrance bug until now (got the fountain pen virus first, ha!).

I bought my first fragrance ever about a month ago ago now (I don't count using Speick aftershave as a fragrance; though I really like it, it's more functional). After reading here and other places, I went to Bath & Body with the intent of getting a C.O. Bigelow scent but they also had some new own scents and after a close battle between Bourbon and Suede, I chose Suede. I really like it, and plan to continue using it as my daily wear, but I'm looking for something else for special occasions.

Now for some info to help narrow down the selection. Here are scents that I've encountered which I do not particularly enjoy for me:
-Bettega Veneta, pour homme/extreme
-Hugo EdT
-Acqua di Parma Colonia (but I did like the pura)
-Valentino Uomo--too old man
-Tom Ford Tabacco Vanille--far too strong for me
-Chanel, Pour Monsieur
-Joop!
-Aramis
-Vetivier by Guerlain--too spicy, nice smell though
-YSL la nuit de l'homme

Here are scents that I've encountered which I do like for me:
-C.O. Bigelow, white and black both good (though I ultimately chose Suede)
-4711 new, though it's almost too floral
-Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
-Christian Dior, Eau Savage--okay
-Mont Blanc legend intense
-Mont Blanc emblem--this is probably my favourite currently, and wouldn't mind buying it.

I took an *very scientific* online quiz saying that 'fresh green' fragrances suited me best, whatever that is worth.

I have some other scents on the list that I'd like to sample (Grey flannel, Perry Ellis aqua, Midnight in Paris, Creed Green Irish), but I haven't came across them yet.

Based on this information, what would you recommend I add to the list to sample? Mont Blanc emblem was really handy in that the bottle described the notes, so if you have any scents in mind that follow this profile, please let me know, thank you!
-Top notes: sage, grapefruit
-Heart notes: violet leaves, cinnamon leaves
-Base notes: precious woods, patchouli

Hi @sarimento1, thank you!

My partner was really helpful in the selection process at Bath & Body. She is a fan of the suede. While I don't believe she is as keen on the Mont Blanc as I am, she does like it as well. We were incredibly unanimous on the smells listed that I/we don't like, however.

Suede is my first scent ever, which as indicated above, the partner is a fan, but I tend to gravitate towards 'clean' fragrances in deodorants and the like.

I appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

So lucky to have her along with you on shopping trip!
Next visit to mall, stop by L’Occitane and test A few, including Baux!

www.basenotes.com

Here you will find lots of reviews for just about every fragrance out there ... while its helpful to read other people's opinions before you buy, you still have to test it to be sure its right for you. Your nose knows.

Remember that no single fragrance is going to be the be-all and end-all for anyone. You should have an assortment on hand to cope with different seasons, daytime/nighttime wear, active vs. casual use, office vs. playtime, etc.

You can get samples of many frags, but usually not the ones you're actually looking for. Various department stores have tester bottles out on the counter. And some stores like Sephora have very helpful salesladies that will help steer you through the myriad of brands.

When you finally find a frag that you really like and want to wear all day long, you'll want to get a small pocket atomizer to carry some along with you, so that you can freshen up and top off the scent every few hours.

www.basenotes.com

Here you will find lots of reviews for just about every fragrance out there ... while its helpful to read other people's opinions before you buy, you still have to test it to be sure its right for you. Your nose knows.

Thanks. I was aware of basenotes but have been too intimidated/overwhelmed to check it out! I was hoping to obtain a few suggestions to pursue first, as the scent world is much larger than I had ever imagined.

I'll have to check L'Occitane next. I'm currently in Berlin, so most everything is available, for better or for worse...

I appreciate any/all suggestions, especially those that you think match well to the Mont Blanc profile.

State - I was also bitten by the fountain pen bug prior to discovering the fragrance world. :). I agree with all of the advice above. If you have a higher-end retail place around you that sells Creed, I would check that out. You mentioned Green Irish Tweed already, and that is a great one. My favorite from the house is Bois du Portugal, but there are so many great ones you are bound to find one you love.

Hello and congratulations on being bitten by the fragrance bug.
I want to propose the following possible fragrances for you. Three are designer and one not so much.
1) Terre D'Hermes
2) Blue de Chanel
3) Armani Eau pour Homme
4) Avon Black Suede

You can sample 1, 2, and 3 at a local Sephora. If you are within Canada, I can send you some of 4 to try out.

Fresh Green makes me think along the lines of Creed Original Vetiver. Mugler Cologne is very similar on a budget.

You already hit and didn't care for a couple others I was thinking of: Guerlain Vetiver and Eau Sauvage.

Terre D'Hermes mentioned above definitely worth a try. A house with some nice natural smelling greens is Sisley. Maybe Eau d'Ikar or Eau de Campagne. The latter shows up as unisex or occasionally feminine, but it's a mossy green with tomato leaf and citrus. Very realistic smelling green.

Wow, thanks everyone!

This is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for, a few suggestions to add to my list as I go on my next trip to the mall.

@mio_cuggino thanks for the offer! I´m sadly not in Canada, but the Avon intrigues me. I don´t know if it was urban legend or reality, but as a child, I recall always being slathered in skin-so-soft to avoid mosquitos in the summer. While black suede probably smells nothing like skin-so-soft, it's still a nice connection.

I'm hoping to make a dedicated scent excursion in the next week or so. I'll be sure to report back.

Hi all,

Only had time to dash into one store yesterday, so I didn't get to test very much and resisted any impulse buys. Still, it was informative, and may help you all to add to list of scents for me to check out.
-I didn't like the Armani Eau pour homme, too spicy
-I also didn't like the Terre d'Hermes (only wrote 'no' on my cheat sheet, so I really must not have liked it)

-I really liked the Bleu de Chanel
-While I didn't like the Armani pour homme, there was an Armani eau de cedre right next to it, so I sampled that and really liked it, though it might be too ceder-y in the end. I'll definitely revisit it.

That's all for now, probably won't be until the end of next week when I can make a proper trip. Thanks for being part of the process all!

For adult fragrances, you can’t go wrong with Zegna’s line of fragrances. My younger brother recently started dating again and asked for some office-friendly fragrances that would also work well on dates. I told him most of Zegna’s fragrances fit the description.

Hi all, Happy Friday!

I was able to sample more fragrances today, but I resisted the urge to purchase anything as my partner wasn't with me.

@travtex , you were spot on with the Sisley Campagne recommendation as a green scent, but I'm afraid it was far too green for me. Very grassy, but I'm glad to have experienced it.

L'Occitane Baux wasn't for me, too ambery.

I was able to try most of the Creeds. Now I can understand their popularity. So good.
I really liked the Vetiver. The Aventus was also good, just not for me. As for the Green Irish Tweed, I first thought it was too subtle but now I can't stop smelling my wrist, super clean, bright, and fresh. I'm really hoping my girlfriend doesn't like it, just to make things easier on my wallet...

Still, I have Mont Blanc emblem on my other wrist and it just seems way too overpowering and generic compared to the Creed. I forgot to revisit the Bleu de Chanel, so maybe that will be a nice compromise.

Thanks all for the suggestions and being part of the journey.

Cheaper GIT: Armaf Tres Nuit

Cheaper Original Vetiver: Mugler Cologne
Good choices here. If you like Creed Original Vetiver try Mugler Cologne.
There are SO many choices.
Where do you live? What stores are by you? There are also several online places you can get samples at a reasonable price but better to sample for free from the stores.

Good choices here. If you like Creed Original Vetiver try Mugler Cologne.
There are SO many choices.
Where do you live? What stores are by you? There are also several online places you can get samples at a reasonable price but better to sample for free from the stores.

My wife has been keeping her bottle of Mugler Cologne in the car for air freshening purposes, haha. It's very much a 'bright' vetiver, not dark and earthy like Encre Noir or similar.

The Mugler gets called a Creed 'clone', but ... Mugler Cologne (2001) and Creed Original Vetiver (2004), so Creed Not-so-Original Vetiver.

Top Bottom