What's new

Help me pick outmy first tin in over 8 yrs

After sifting through my garage I found the pipes that I used to use in college along with what is probably some drug store vanilla tobacco. I was wanting to get something decent to smoke this time around though. Both pipes I have have smoked nothing but aromatics, so I don't know if I need to clean them out to remove any ghosting, or if it would be worth the trouble.

I'm probably looking to get another aromatic, but not anything too over powering. I want the main flavor to be tobacco. I was thinking about Peterson's University Flake or Mac Barens Vanilla flake. If anybody has any experience with either of these, I would appreciate your input, and I also welcome any recommendations anyone might have for me to try.

Thanks

As a recent noob, I wouldn't start out with a flake. They can be tricky to pack... I'm still having some difficulties myself :001_smile

If you want an aromatic, Cornell and Diehl's Autumn Evening seems to be well respected here.

Peterson University Flake is an excellent tobacco. Just rub it out and pack your pipe if you are not familiar with folding flakes.

As a recent noob, I wouldn't start out with a flake. They can be tricky to pack... I'm still having some difficulties myself :001_smile

If you want an aromatic, Cornell and Diehl's Autumn Evening seems to be well respected here.

Hey I noticed you are a Houstonian and I was wondering where you go to get tobacco. I was going to try to stop by the Briar Shoppe but heard they may be pricey.

Brian, tins are a lil pricey, while bulk is a lil cheaper, local or internet stores.

Check out tobaccoreviews.com for different opinions on pipe tobaccos.

You may want to check out a few pipe tobacco websites and pick up a sampler, as your tastes may have changed.

pipesandcigars.com, 4noggins.com, marscigars.com,smokingpipes.com

Good luck and have some fun. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I buy some stuff from The Briar Shoppe and some from the place that used to be called Croft's and now seems to be called Serious Cigars (Richmond Ave just inside the West Loop). Both are pricey on tins but I try to buy from them fairly regularly. Larger orders go to 4noggins.com and sometimes pipesandcigars.com.

I try to make sure my local business feel at least a little love. I'd hate for them to end up closing or not carrying pipe stuff.

Edit: I was just in the Briar Shoppe early last week and they were chock full of Peterson's and Mac Baren's tins. I haven't been to the other place in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I try to make sure my local business feel at least a little love. I'd hate for them to end up closing or not carrying pipe stuff.
+1

If your just in the market for a tin or two the higher price in a B&M is offset by shipping charges online so the difference isn't that much. But online shops can carry more variety and when buying in bulk represent real savings. I try give some of my business to the local guys when I can.

Flakes can be trickier to learn on but IMHO Mac Baren flakes are the exception, the ones I have tried rub out easily and burn well. The C&D Autumn Evening is a very good aromatic, most I've recommended it to enjoy it. As far as cleaning check through the GE sticky on Pipe repair and maintenance for some common procedures including removing ghosting from briar. These will give you a good idea on what some of us do, and as always feel free to ask questions regarding any of those methods as they occur to you.

I would recommended a good sanitizing of the pipes, although some things can't be gotten rid of (Mixture 79, ugh). Put the pipe in a stand, fill bowl with a torn chunk of paper towel. Saturate paper towel with everclear or vodka using an eye dropper (don't get it on the finish). Let it stand overnight. Discard paper towel and do again until the paper towels are only coming out dingy (They'll never come out clean). Then use vodka/everclear soaked pipe cleaners to clean the shank and bit.

For a decent tobacco, there are tons. Personally, in your shoes, I'd go with GL Pease Haddo's delight. It is easy to pack (they are cubes, just fill the bowl, don't tamp at first), and interesting without being overly strong. I think it has a little booze or something in it, but it isn't an aromatic.

Top Bottom