What's new

Help Me Pick Out My DE Razor

Well

After being gifted my fathers 1958 Executive Fatboy, I've been working on several aspects of my shave.

This is all new to me and I've made a few inroads.

I've been PIF'd a few brushes and been helped a great deal with my initial failure to launch a good lather.
Tried two blades in my sample pack. Dorco-no. Aster-yes.

See all ready I have opinions.

My issue is that I feel the razor is not a good fit for me. No way will I ever get rid of it but I'm looking for something lighter and longer.
I like vintage Gillete adjustable and I was considering a Slim. I think they are slightly longer and maybe lighter.
I have rather large hands with long skinny fingers and the Fatboy just seem to heavy and short to be able to maneuver it well.

Are there any good quality Gillette adjustable that I should consider?

Thanks
Dirty

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
While I feel that the slim is superior to the fat boy (YMMV) I don't believe the razors are very different in performance. Without delving into all of your posts, it does look like you are relatively new to DE shaving. Perhaps you can tell us more about your shaving process and beard? IMO I don't think a slim is going to serve you any better. Perhaps a tech if your looking to stay with vintage razors?

I think I'd have to agree with Big_T. the Black Beauty 109 has a longer handle but I don't know if it would be lighter. The handle is thinner so it's possible. Also, it is adjustable.

I am relatively new to this style of shaving and for that reason don't feel I know enough to be able to answer your question.

This may offend some here but I, like most men and a few women for the last 1000 years or so, I drag a sharp object across the face hoping for good hair removal with minimal blood loss. I can hear the beard guys laughing right now.

I'd just like to try lighter and longer adjustable. Something about the Fatboy doesn't seem right to me for the reasons I suggested.

Dirty

1651706555236.gif

I know you specified the classic Gillette's but if you considered a modern razor I would recommend the Yates 921 or the Henson AL13. Both have long handles and are fairly light with the Henson being very light.

The previously mentioned Gillette Super Adjustable will have a longer handle and a slightly smaller head. I can't comment on the weight though.

If you want light weight and long it'll be hard to beat the Henson, but it's not adjustable. It's an excellent shaver though.

I started out with The Gillette Slim and later the 109 Black Beauty but in the last few years I've been using my dads Fatboy and really like the way it shaves, With the 50 plus razors that I have, the Gillette adjustables are still my favorites.

What cheese is best with salami? Which color goes best with orange? Shaving is so much more personally nuanced which unfortunately/fortunately can become a rabbit hole of dollars spent and varying degrees of success achieved. I adore my 109, enjoyed zero success with my slim and just experienced my first weepers in months with my gorgeous fatboy lol. This after a dozen successful shaves with a beat up Milord and little success with a super speed. Every rose has its thorn.
That said, my Karve Overlander is flawless to the point I will be purchasing a second so I am not without while one gets replated.
End of story might be, find a 109 in great shape and then be fulfilled or keep having fun until you get a rigidly milder yet efficient razor that wows you. That Fatboy is pretty darn spectacular though and I’m sure I’ll keep at it till I tame it. What point was I trying to make?
Happy weekend everyone!

I think a good (and inexpensive) razor for a beginner is the Feather Popular a TTO razor made in Japan. It has a long handle, it's light, it's mild yet efficient and it's easy to use. It comes with a couple of Feather blades which are very sharp and a good match for the razor.

What cheese is best with salami? Which color goes best with orange? Shaving is so much more personally nuanced which unfortunately/fortunately can become a rabbit hole of dollars spent and varying degrees of success achieved. I adore my 109, enjoyed zero success with my slim and just experienced my first weepers in months with my gorgeous fatboy lol. This after a dozen successful shaves with a beat up Milord and little success with a super speed. Every rose has its thorn.
That said, my Karve Overlander is flawless to the point I will be purchasing a second so I am not without while one gets replated.
End of story might be, find a 109 in great shape and then be fulfilled or keep having fun until you get a rigidly milder yet efficient razor that wows you. That Fatboy is pretty darn spectacular though and I’m sure I’ll keep at it till I tame it. What point was I trying to make?
Happy weekend everyone!
1) Cheddar
2) Teal

OP Inquiry:
3) Gillette Super Adjustable (aka Black Beauty)

Any other questions?

PS "Man with no name" Sergio Leone films were the best! 🤠

Last edited:
The SAs (either 84 or 109) is made of a mix of materials (Slims and Fat Boys are all brass)--so if you are looking for one, you need to be picky and fine one in near new or in good condition. In my experience (I have 4) they did not age well in that nearly any old dirty, crusty Slim or Fat Boy that has been used, abused and put up wet and caked with soap will clean up well and work without issues, while the SAs often stick, jam and lose their last 1/4 turn etc., necessitating yet another soak in Dawn... If you want a long handle that is light, look for a SA 109 in good shape with the nylon adjustment plate as they seem to have held up better--my nylon based model is the only one in 4 that works well every time.

You are right to stay within the Gillette family. If you want a longer, lighter Gillette adjustable, there are only two choices: the Slim or the Black Beauty. Either is an excellent choice. They are all brass and are better made than any adjustable made today. The shave is similar to your Fatboy, although the slimmer heads make them more maneuverable, particularly under the nose.
The best performing DE I have is a ‘66 Slim. On setting “9” with a Lord Plat it always leaves an effortless BBS shave with no nicks or cuts. The Slim will easily exceed your expectations

I just pruchased a Supers Speed Flare tip and a '63 slim. I have used both a total of one times. Both seem to provide a nice shave. My experience is somewhat limited and all I have to compare them to is my '58 Fatboy.

I'm surprised that at this time with all of the great high end razors, the Gillette "hold there own" against them.
I'm definitely putting the SS and the slim in my limited rotation.

Dirty

Don’t be surprised that the Gillettes hold their own vs modern production. Gillette invented the DE and had 50 or 60 years experience when your razors were made. And with their vast, mass production techniques they could deliver a finely made razor at a very economical price. Experience and scale matters, and Gillette had both. I am surprised when any new razor can shave as well as a vintage Gillette (or 1930’s to 50’s Schick injector).

Top Bottom