What's new

Help me pick out a coti, please

Hey all,

When I first discovered this honing forum I got carried away away and bought alllllll sorts of hones, razors, and strops- before even really mastering the straight shave. Using these hones I was always chasing an edge done by one of our resident pros, which I couldnt even get near.. I mean like miles away!

In the spirit of not trying to rebuy hones I sold during times of failure or frustration, I allowed myself to repurchase only a hand full of items, one of them being the coticule. I never came close to mastering it- but at that time I knew nothing, and was trying to get from bevel to shave ready using only a C1k and coti. These days I am looking to go from a guaranteed 8k to coti finish, so I think I might be able to pull it off.

The cotis I've owned in the past were le gris, and 2 small almost crystally looking ones when wet.. quartz like.. beautiful.

So,

1. any idea what vein the sparkly ones would have been?
2. what would you guys recommend?
3. i'd like them to be rectangular and 6x2" or smaller.
4. the feel is very important, the last one I had felt like I was honing on gravel- I know it was prob a good hone, but when ever I think about the coti, I always remember how pleasing the feel was- on my earlier ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too late for me to edit, but coots was supposed to be cotis, and thanks in advanced should be advance, had to look that one up-as i've always been unsure. Turns out, its considered rude and entitled, which is not how I meant it- so if I was editing, i'd just take the entire part out! :)

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Too late for me to edit, but coots was supposed to be cotis, and thanks in advanced should be advance, had to look that one up-as i've always been unsure. Turns out, its considered rude and entitled, which is not how I meant it- so if I was editing, i'd just take the entire part out! :)
Fixed it for you. :thumbup1:

What's your budget? I've tried 3 of the newly mined stones, and although they finished well they all had that grainy feel under the blade. You can keep an eye out on the auction site for a vintage, or try a WTB in the classifieds. I wonder if the quartz like stones you had were Les Lat hybrids?

Thanks, David!

I think they might have been natural combos.. i'll see if I can find them in my photobucket account from when I sold them..
As for budget, prob 80$ max.

Here is is:
proxy.php
proxy.php

The one on the left :(
Thought they were both sparkly in light.

Last edited:

David

Those are both La Grise I believe. You can still get them today from Ardennes. Also they should be doing some mining soon so you might wait a little while longer and see what they have available. It's always exciting come spring time to see what that have available.

Maybe La Nouvelle vein as well? They look beautiful, but I wouldn´t use them for razors.
I think this kind of stones can be slow and scratchy at the same time.
I´am not shure it´s just my feeling, have similar ones, they are on the hard side.

ruben

The sparkles were below the surface, and if I recall it didnt feel scratchy.. but its been a while.. could be wrong.

Those are both La Grise I believe. You can still get them today from Ardennes. Also they should be doing some mining soon so you might wait a little while longer and see what they have available. It's always exciting come spring time to see what that have available.

How do you get to know when they are due to mine? Is because there any coming up?

David

Oh no. I promised myself no more coticules but if they release a bunch of select plus after Easter I'm going to find it difficult not to.
Everyone should have at least 10 Cotis in their possession at all times. :punk:

Possibly best to contact somone who deals in coticules, maybe Jarrod or Ardennes, to see some stones that might suit.

Any reason you are looking to a coticule in particular to bridge the gap from 8K to shaving?

this guy is selling some 150mmx40mm coticules for 55$ currently and I have gotten stuff from that vendor before and was happy. Could try sending him a pm of what type of feel you want from your coticule and he might be able to help you out. Coticule Selected for Razors (Rectangular) + Slurry Stone

I don't really think there are many good coticule options on ebay/other sites though atm when it comes to choosing a specific coticule. I would try making a WTB post here any maybe other forums to see what you get offered

My La Grise is a lovely finisher - it is a natural combination with a BBW on the back with a gradual transition. You might look out for one of these.

In Grinding and Honing Henk Bos says that La Grosse Jaune is a finer finisher still. I just bought one from Gary Haywood. I believe he had more - you might want to try him. Or alternatively it looks like a number of the coticules from Ardennes at the moment might be this layer. You could contact Ardennes directly - explain the type of stone you are looking for and then order one in that way.

In terms of honing on gravel, I find that finishing on lather creates this sensation - I *think* because it breaks the water surface tension right down so you are getting a closer feedback. Interestingly using oil in the finishing stages, whilst smoother also provides more feedback. I have achieved my best coti finishes using oil.

I guess you have seen the Dr Matt videos about 8k to coticule?

Top Bottom