What's new

Help me pick my second brush ever!

Long thread ahead, sorry! As an incentive to read all the way through and comment, I will send a few small German goodies (e.g. Speick/Palmolive stick, Palmolive cream) to one randomly selected commenter who is based in the US (Europeans can easily get too many great shave goodies already, and I have no idea how much shipping is for Canada/rest of the world is, sorry) and posts by Saturday! I'm sill youngish and have appreciated the wisdom of the B&B elders when I was starting out, so I'd like to have my first PIF. Okay, following the suggested template of @Doc4 , here we go!

1. Your existing harem of badgery beauties! Tell us what brushes you already have and what qualities you like or dislike.

Easy, just the Crabtree & Evelyn Pure Badger, which is apparently an Edwin Jagger re-brand, purchased in 2010. It’s been fine, nothing stellar, but a solid performer. It seems to be shedding a couple of hairs every few shaves even now, and I do get a lot of ‘scritch’, especially on the second pass.

2. Your lathery leanings.

I’m purely a face latherer with soaps or sticks. I generally shave 2x/week.

3. What you want from your next brush.

I’m looking for another badger, though something softer than the C&E. That part should be easy to accomplish with a better hair type. But I’m pretty clueless as to what hair type exactly I’m wanting. Based on the B&B wiki, I think I want a 19-22 mm knot as I want badger, and more of a fan shape as it feels larger on the face (I face lather).

4. Brush aesthetics.

I’m really partial to classic/vintage, nothing crazy futuristic. I’m pretty boring in this sense. I like the handle of the C&E, no complaints there.

5. Budget.

Nothing too insane, but I am prepared to spend +/- €125 (which is still a little insane to me).

6. Size matters.

I’d like a brush on the smaller side, I think, although I do exclusively face lather.

7. Brushes that have already piqued your interest.

In ogling over all of your brushes through dozens of old brush threads, I already have two frontrunners: some Simpson chubby (please enlighten me, seems like there are many), or a custom Shavemac. I really like the little chubby, but I have a very German kit (Mühle R41, Palmolive stick, Speick AS, my standard setup for a few years now) so there is a lot of appeal there. If I went Shavemac right now, I’d probably choose the Silvertip 2-band; it seems to have the best balance of softness and density for me, solely according to their guide on the site. According to some discussion, Thäters may have too high of a loft? But I could be totally misguided/missing out (e.g. I haven’t even looked at Kent or Rooney and several others), so don’t feel limited in suggesting others.

8. Please don't forget to tell us that this will be your last or only brush, and that "SBAD hasn't really gotten ahold of me." We need a good laugh.

I’ve been a single brush kid for long enough, let the flood gates open!

Your budget is a lot larger than mine, I've not spent more than a $40 US on most of my brushes (the exception being the new Rudy Vey custom coming my way and the West Coast shaving silvertip and those are both large brushes). I have a few small brushes, but not many any more as I've given most of the small ones away. My small brushes I still use are a Maggard Razors tuxedo knot at 22mm, a custom Badger & Blade boar (appears to be either 18 or 20mm) and then some vintage badger brushes. Of my larger brushes, I really enjoy my West Coast Shaving Silvertip and my Razorock 2 band finest.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Most of my brushes are what I consider normal size knots, generally between 17mm & 24mm. This seems to have held true for well over a half century of buying shaving brushes and also true of the older shaving brushes that belonged to family members and I now have and use.

1. Your existing harem of badgery beauties! Tell us what brushes you already have and what qualities you like or dislike.

About half of my brushes are new while the other half are all over a half century old. I have more Simpson brushes than any other single make and all of the Simpsons are badger. I like brushes that work well and look pretty.

I have shaved daily with only the very few exceptions since Ike was President in the US. I use soaps and creams and face and bowl lather.

Now we are changing directions slightly and towards what I would describe as the Characteristics of different brush makers. For now I will stick to modern makers.

First, I've never much found any consistency across makers when considering what the hair is called. I have Pure and Manchurian and Silvertip and High Mountain White and Finest and Best knots that all pretty much look the same, feel the same and perform the same. For that reason I tend to think more in terms of what a makers brushes generally feel like rather than what label is on what hair.

Best;Super;Best;Pure;Pure:
proxy.php

High Mountain White, Super, Manchurian, Best Badger, Finest Badger, Silvertip & Pure Badger:
proxy.php

In my brushes. Simpson is generally soft face feel with good body and relatively firm knots. Vulfix are very soft face feel with slightly less body than Simpson. Kent shaving brushes are really soft face feel with even the Pure Badger brushes feeling soft, but overall, generally more floppy than Simpson or Vulfix. There are a couple exception in my Kent brushes but I think those brushes might have been made by Simpson or Vulfix. Thater brushes are the closest in look, feel and performance to Simpson brushes. Modern Rooney brushes are nice but honestly only a shadow of their former nature. If they are deeply discounted on sale I consider them.

I have quite a few other makes, but none of those where I've owned enough samples over enough years to really comment.

4. Brush aesthetics.

The looks really come last when I'm considering a brush. Ain't likely anyone but me will ever actually see it. But the handle must be comfortable and not too slippery when wet.

5. Budget.

I'm not sure there are many Thater brushes under your price point but there are lots of Vulfix, Simpson, Kent and Rooney that should be available.

6. Size matters.

Okay, again, Simpson, Thater, Kent and Vulfix all make smaller brushes.

I have found most "guides" to be pretty much useless and out of date. Natural hair varies and so what was yesterday a great brush may well be just okay today. BUT some makers really try to maintain consistency over time and I have found that Simpson, Kent, Thater and Vulfix do shoot towards a consistent feel.

8. Please don't forget to tell us that this will be your last or only brush, and that "SBAD hasn't really gotten ahold of me." We need a good laugh.

If it makes you feel any better I can testify that it is possible to find that "SBAD killing brush". In fact I have found dozens of them and will likely find dozens more in the future. Just stick resolutely to a commitment that the last brush you bought will be the next-to-last brush you will ever buy and all will be fine.

Great way to do things! Thanks for your generosity!

I currently have a Body Shop Synthetic brush for travel, AOS Genuine Badger, Omega Pro 10049 boar, and RR Big Bruce synth. Each one works very well for me and covers a decent spectrum (except perhaps the BS synth, it’s just cheap and I wouldn’t mind accidentally leaving it in a trip). The AOS is soft, low backbone, with a little scritch; the Omega has a moderate backbone and is turning nearly almost as soft bristled as the AOS; the Big Bruce surpasses them all in every way for me. It has the right amount of backbone, a gentle scritch, and is very pleasant to face lather. I’ve used it every shave since I acquired it.

I’m also a face latherer and I’ve begun shaving daily in the last week, every other day previous to that. The Big Bruce is always dry the next day and is not to big for my face lather. I never have problems during a shave due to my brush.

I’m going to heavily encourage you to look beyond badger...it’s a big world out there for brushes. Synthetics are the way to go!

4. Brush aesthetics.

Simple is good!

5. Budget.

Some of the best brushes can be had for less than $20.

6. Size matters.

This is an easy one, as the RR Big Bruce was originally the Bruce, a smaller loft and handle; probably just the size you are looking for.

The only brush I’ve seen recently that I’d buy is an Atomic Rocket synth. It’s the RR Big Bruce but with a classy vintage twist.

I’ve only ever owned up to 5 brushes at once; currently I have 4. The RR Big Bruce is all I’d ever want out of a brush truthfully.

4D5D1B19-21B0-4389-B8A8-36CB56C0D2EB.jpeg
14F35917-5840-43FE-B4B5-84C4CDF2D582.jpeg
692DD65C-7DEC-4BA0-ADFC-408787BA6DD7.jpeg
699D5621-EA4D-4142-86DA-B40D2DEDEC0D.jpeg
2E104F66-4D38-4D0E-9274-9612CABFABAD.jpeg
699D5621-EA4D-4142-86DA-B40D2DEDEC0D.jpeg
14F35917-5840-43FE-B4B5-84C4CDF2D582.jpeg

Been doing the wetshaving thing for decades. Many brushes; many soaps; many creams. Have currently on hand about 25 or so brushes. Most (18?) are badger. Paladin, Simpson, Semogue, Rudy Vey, Shavemac, few others.
Best of the lot...Shavemac D01 in a Rudy Vey custom handle-“The Aloysius Brush” (brown handle) Does everything perfectly. I have many Vey brushes in both badger and synthetic. Highly recommended.
Paladin brushes are rather spendy, but worth it. I have five.
Simpson. Everyone must have one. I do...a Colonel X2L. Truly a Swiss Army knife of a brush.
Have a few other badgers, a horsehair, many boars and many synthetics.
Best synthetics would be the Barber Pole Omega Hi Brush and Rudy Vey Custom L7 with a Muhle STF V.2 knot.
Flawless.
Of the whole bunch, Mr. Vey is the most righteous path. He will make you EXACTLY what you want and do it corrrctly the first time. Pricing is also reasonable.
What I avoid?
Pure badger. Feels like using an Oral B60 on my face.
Best size? 22-24mm 50-52mm loft.
Unless it’s a big Omega boar.
German shave gear....stuff is great. You are fortunate.

Last edited:

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Zenith brushes are wonderful and are the best value for the buck. Silvertip Badger or Manchurian. The knot is very dense and soft. It costs around 70$, but feels like a 300$ brush. They are a little on the large side, but it is worth it.

Last edited:
@jar_ + @Acmemfg

Your feedback is similar of a buying guide lesson! Very informative!

I wished you had more experience also on the new Chinese producers like Yaqi, Maseto or Vigshaving. Than your advices would cover the whole range of brushes, from affordable to high end offerings.

EE618E1A-44B0-4346-A465-3D8DBA593B5A.jpeg
Oh...you should have asked.
Yaqui, Frank Shaving, some other Chinese manufacturer whose name I cannot remember (Liu maybe?). The Chinese brushes I have owned were/are serviceable but no great shake. Only one I still have is a Yaqui. It’s on a par with the RazoRock synthetics. A Muhle STF it ain’t. Muhle makes the best synthetic out there, or so I believe. I also think highly of the Omega Hi Brushes. Others will disagree. Go figure. No, not Chinese, but really fine brushes.

Frank Shaving (yep..Chinese) made a decent brush once upon a time, but last I checked Ian Tang had gotten rather spendy with his pricing and crossed over the value line.
The Omega 11126 boar (pictured-nope not Chinese) to this day, after many years, remains one of the best brushes I have EVER used. $17-$20. Can’t beat it with a stick

Last edited:
Just a bump requesting more suggestions (hope that's in order)--you could win some German goodies just for commenting!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've read through this thread. You should award jar_ the German prize!

Manchurian.Copper.E-2.MdC.Kit.640.5-18.JPG

My brushes are mostly all too large for your tastes. I mostly like brushes at 24mm and up. Besides I'm not convinced you get what you pay for in brushes. My most expensive brush is the Zenith Manchurian pictured above. Any Zenith will likely be a very good brush. They are great values.

Jade.3Zeniths.4Boars.4Brushes.640.4-18.JPG

If you're interested in a very, very nice boar, the Omega Jade above is available only from Connaught. It is a superior boar. This Jade is liked a lot by everyone who comments on it. It is a premium brush by Omega, and in a league of its own compared to other Omega boars (and I like plenty of the other Omega boars).

The Zeniths in the photo are all nice boars, too.

5-9-18,Kit.Mondial.E-2.640.MdC.JPG

My favorite boar is this Mondial. A truly great boar brush. A truly great brush, period.

Nothing wrong with the very expensive brushes, but there are loads of plenty good and relative inexpensive Chinese made brushes. I like the Yaqi two band brushes I have and my Maseto Shaving (MS) silvertip brushes. None of mine meet your size requirements.

As a face latherer, I want soft tips and good scrub. Everything else is gravy. My next brush? Who knows. I'm thinking about the Yaqi High Mountain White or a Zenith Silvertip or a Zenith Manchurian. A faux ivory handled Mondial would be nice but they're currently unobtanium.

The last brush I bought was the last brush I will ever buy until I buy another one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I face lather but definitely prefer brushes on the medium to large side. I recently sold a couple of very nice 20 mm brushes, because I just found them too small. My current line-up of brushes I actually use consists of a 24 mm West Coast Shaving silvertip badger, an SOC boar (also 24 mm), an SOC mixed badger/boar (22 mm), a Zenith 24 mm boar, and a Stirling Kong (26 mm) synthetic. I used to have what I would guess is the same Crabtree & Evelyn brush that you have. The most expensive brush that I owned was a Simpson's Duke 3 in best badger, but I found that the quality from brush to brush was very uneven. I had one that had a great face feel, but it was a shedder. Simpson's replaced it, but the replacement brush did not feel nearly as good on my face as the original Simpson's Duke 3, nor as good as my $40 WCS silvertip.
I am intrigued by the Thater brushes, and if I were to buy another brush I would probably buy a 24 mm silvertip 2 band from them. I doubt it's worth the difference in price over my WCS brush, but there's only one way to know for sure.

OK. I will bite!

I definitely prefer badger and am currently ‘down’ to these beauties for my ‘daily rotation’

Simpsons Duke 2 best: great all around brush with lovely density and face feel
Simpsons Chubby 1 best: another terrific workhorse
Simpsons 57 best: more statuesque model with great handle
Simpsons Tulip 2 super: great density and face feel with a classic handle
Simpsons Classic 2 best: great density and backbone in a real workhorse of a brush
Simpsons Wee Scot best: actually a bit closer to ‘pure’ in the Simpsons spectrum, now mostly a travel brush

Muhle HJM black badger: good for a change, less dense and a bit too much loft for daily use for me

I also have one old blond boar that gets used from time to time for variety!

Rudy Vey custom Shavemac 2-band from the group buy is currently in production as I wanted to try this knot!

I face lather soaps, but use a stick when traveling.

I’m looking for another badger, that will be a bit different so went in on the group buy for the Shavemac 2-band.

4. Brush aesthetics.

I tend to more ‘classic’ asthetics, generally with smaller, shorter brushes.

5. Budget.

Nothing too insane (although LOTH would argue with this assessment)!

6. Size matters.

I generally prefer 22-24 mm knots with approximate loft in a 2:1 ratio. However, I went to 25 mm for the B&B group buy as I really wanted to try a Shavemac 2-band.

The B&B custom Shavemac from Rudy Vey is definitely coming, just not soon enough!!

I highly recommend any of the Simpsons in my daily rotation (and there have been many other brushes that have moved in and out of my den)!

LAST BRUSH!! Please say this isn’t so! :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:

OK. I will bite!

I definitely prefer badger and am currently ‘down’ to these beauties for my ‘daily rotation’

Simpsons Duke 2 best: great all around brush with lovely density and face feel
Simpsons Chubby 1 best: another terrific workhorse
Simpsons 57 best: more statuesque model with great handle
Simpsons Tulip 2 super: great density and face feel with a classic handle
Simpsons Classic 2 best: great density and backbone in a real workhorse of a brush
Simpsons Wee Scot best: actually a bit closer to ‘pure’ in the Simpsons spectrum, now mostly a travel brush

Muhle HJM black badger: good for a change, less dense and a bit too much loft for daily use for me

I also have one old blond boar that gets used from time to time for variety!

Rudy Vey custom Shavemac 2-band from the group buy is currently in production as I wanted to try this knot!

I face lather soaps, but use a stick when traveling.

I’m looking for another badger, that will be a bit different so went in on the group buy for the Shavemac 2-band.

4. Brush aesthetics.

I tend to more ‘classic’ asthetics, generally with smaller, shorter brushes.

5. Budget.

Nothing too insane (although LOTH would argue with this assessment)!

6. Size matters.

I generally prefer 22-24 mm knots with approximate loft in a 2:1 ratio. However, I went to 25 mm for the B&B group buy as I really wanted to try a Shavemac 2-band.

The B&B custom Shavemac from Rudy Vey is definitely coming, just not soon enough!!

I highly recommend any of the Simpsons in my daily rotation (and there have been many other brushes that have moved in and out of my den)!

LAST BRUSH!! Please say this isn’t so! :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:
So it's a "sabbatical", with the exception of brushes? hahahaha:a29:

So it's a "sabbatical", with the exception of brushes? hahahaha:a29:

Great point! I was told that there is definitely an exception for B&B group buys!!! I made sure to clarify before my purchase! (But this does make the 2018 Shaving Purchase Sabbatical more palatable!!)

As the legal department says, “Be sure to read the fine print.” In this case it was most helpful!! :badger::badger::badger:

At least your brush purchases reflect a well defined preference and some type of order. Mine on the other hand reflect chaos, madness, and a complete lack of self control. Hope you love the new Rudy Vey!!

State do you have a handle shape that appeals to you?

I like the handle on the C&E, but I haven't any others to really say. I'm really drawn to the Thäter style handle, with like eight sides? Not sure what it's commonly called, gotta 'brush' up on my terminology hehe.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far!

Top Bottom