What's new

Help Me Pick My next Soap/Croap/Cream

I've been immersed in DE Shaving for around 1 year. I've been alternating between Proraso Green and Declaration Grooming Unscented.

I don't appreciate a strong scent in a soap.

I've been looking around and at this point I'm looking at Tabac or a Stirling product (Barber shop/Executive Man) or Mitchells Wool Fat.

Are there any other mid-pack (Price/quailty) that I should consider?

I've not attempted to use a hard soap (puck) but I'd be willing to give it a try.

Any suggestions?

Dirty

I don't appreciate a strong scent in a soap.

I've been looking around and at this point I'm looking at Tabac or a Stirling product (Barber shop/Executive Man) or Mitchells Wool Fat.
If you don't like a strong scent, Tabac might not be for you.
Stirling Barbershop has a rather pronounced vanilla scent.
MWF is an outstanding soap, but some people have trouble lathering it.

This is the kind of question where if you ask ten different people on B&B, you get twenty different answers!

Tabac is pretty strongly scented. Those two Stirling soaps are fairly strongly scented, too.

For a great performing soap that is not too expensive, I'd suggest Haslinger. They are small soaps at 60g each, so you could get two different scents. Some of the milder scents would be Haslinger Honey, Coconut or Aloe Vera.

Maybe you'd like to try a shave stick? Speick or La Toja are a couple of good ones.

...I don't appreciate a strong scent in a soap.
...Are there any other mid-pack (Price/quailty) that I should consider?
...I've not attempted to use a hard soap (puck) but I'd be willing to give it a try...
My suggestion would be Edwin Jagger soaps. Checks all the boxes for you and they are excellent soaps. Vegan.
MWF is an outstanding soap.

Tabac is very polarizing in it's scent. My wife hates it and I'm not a fan either. Great soap.

I highly recommend Master Soap Creations Apricot Pie available only from Pasteur's. 6oz for $9.99 with free shipping is the best bang for you buck out there in my opinion. Light to mid scent and very good performance. Only 1 left, so act quickly! It does contain almond though, which some people have a reaction to. I also really like their Frosted Spearmint for a menthol kick that is stronger than your Proraso but not overwhelming either.

Mike's Naturals is another good candidate for what you're looking for.

Yes, I understand that this is like asking what blade/razor combination you like. YMMV etc. Folks will only recommend something they have tried and liked which limits the list already although it seems like a few of you are attempting to try all soaps.

I debated if I even wanted to ask for a recommendation.

The most helpful was "Stirling is a good place to start"

To that end I ordered samples of Executive Man and Barbershop and Sheep.

Jus so that this wasn't an exercise in having you OK my decision, I'm taking a flyer and I ordered the Master Soap Creation that was suggested. I've never heard of the line and I'm gonna take a crack at it.

I really don't think there is a wrong decision here. I either learn what I like or don't like. Either way I increase my experience.

Thanks all,

Dirty

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes, I understand that this is like asking what blade/razor combination you like. YMMV etc. Folks will only recommend something they have tried and liked which limits the list already although it seems like a few of you are attempting to try all soaps.

Jus so that this wasn't an exercise in having you OK my decision, I'm taking a flyer and I ordered the Master Soap Creation that was suggested. I've never heard of the line and I'm gonna take a crack at it.

I really don't think there is a wrong decision here. I either learn what I like or don't like. Either way I increase my experience.

Thanks all,

Dirty
A great attitude towards it all my friend. Some folks find Stirling soaps too strong, but I think they are just about perfect in their balance. EVEN if I don't like one of their scents it's not because it is too strong, and I have found other folks love the one's that I don't.

And pass along any you hate, or leave them to air out. They might be very nice in a week or two.

Best to try some samples.

I think Stirling offers a 5-pack. I sorted by "most popular" and looked at the scent descriptions, picking the first five that sounded appealing, and ended up liking a few.

Stirling is well regarded here for it's performance/price and is a pretty nice value.

I like Barbershop and Pharoah's Dreamsicle.

The Proraso blue cream is really good and lightly scented. RazoRock soaps (mostly sold on italianbarber.com) all tend to be more lightly scented than most artisan products and are lower on cost. Cell Bio is another good suggestion. Stirling is a great value and has a mix of lightly scented and heavily scented options.

MSC is available from multiple venders and sometimes do an exclusive for a vender. I recall one for The Razor Company as well. They are a small operation out of South Africa that focuses on value like Stirling does. I received a sample with another order. I used it and my really liked the scent, so much so that she suggested I buy a tub. It followed by Virgin Island Bay Rum is a great combination. I think you'll like it.

Thanks all,

Dirty
Next time you'd like me to suggest something you wouldn't like, just ask! 🤣

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My suggestion is Saponificio Varesino. Is it pricey? Yes, unfortunately it is. But IMHO it's among the very best shaving soaps available anywhere. And the finest I've ever used in almost 30 years of wet shaving.

lasta

Blade Biter
What's your skin type?

I have combination/oily skin so I tend to stay away from most artisanal butter filled soaps. For good ol lubrication with minimal fuss, try some TFS soaps, they make them under their own brand as well as Mondial and some RazoRocks. Scent tends be be on the lighter side.

If you have dry skin, or prefer your soap to do the work of a moisturizer, nothing beat super-fatted Americana. Stirling is great, although most of their scent tends to be strong.

English creams are a great middle ground. TOBS, Cyril R Salter etc.

+1 for Haslinger
Some other soaps I would recommend in the same price range:

Heritage Hill
Mike's Natural Soaps
Lea Classic (puck or cream)
Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations
+3 for Haslinger! These are outstanding soaps, offering great performance with very mild, fleeting scents!!

Top Bottom