What's new

Help me pick my next brush, Thater, Shavemac, Rooney?

Here is one more little nugget for you... The Heritage brushes are harder to find and I don't know if they are still being made or not, or just in very limited quantities? The rumor is that Rooney brushes are created in some secret government facility or some strange planet. Nobody seems to know for sure... The Thaters are more plentiful so that might nudge you in one direction or the other for your next purchase? Without hijacking your thread, maybe someone can fill us in on the future availability of the Heritage line?

And to really screw with your head, I would like to add that I have seen the Heritage in 3-band also... I don't have one of those (yet)...

My Thater I picked up off BST. I had that same question for the seller and he told me that it is spec'd as a bulb but he called it a "bit of a hybrid bulb" I have to agree with him on that description.

As for density,
View attachment 380695
The Thater is on the left, Rooney Heritage on the right. Visually the Thater looks like it is denser but they feel very similar to my untrained face. The main difference between the knots to me is that the Rooney has "bloomed" out more than the Thater and I imagine that has a bit to do with the bulb type shape verses the fan of the Rooney. Both knots are 26mm at the handle. I re-measured the loft of both and I could squeeze another mm out of the Thater and call it a 52mm loft according to my good calipers. It is definately not 55mm but I don't know if the previous owner had it lowered or not. (sorry about that)

Here is a photo comparison of the knot shapes. I put the M&F in there because it is an pretty obvious bulb shape and you can see where the Thater comes somewhere in between the 2 shapes...
View attachment 380705

By no means am I an expert on density and backbone and scritch and scratch and etc. Other members here have a much better feel for all of that than I do. What I can tell you is that the Thater and Rooney are tied for first place in my den with "The Chief"" and I don't think you can go wrong either way. I understand your questions and hesitance to pull the trigger on one or the other because neither one of them are cheap. I was in the same boat as you a while back so now I own them both. They were on my "bucket list" of brushes to try. Now that I have them, I don't imagine that in my lifetime you will ever see either one of mine on BST if that helps give you an idea of how much I love both of them!

To add to yours and my confused state, Ambrose has tossed the 3-band Thater into the mix!! I hope he didn't just cost me some more money... If his impressions match yours, maybe he has a good idea with the 3-band? I know he has me thinking about it now... (Thanks a lot Ambrose...) As for the Rooney scritch that he mentions, I have found zero scritch in my Heritage. Shavemac yes, Heritage no. I do not know if its different with the non-Heritage line though.

The fun thing is that the more of us that reply to your post, the more conflicting info, helpful suggestions, and opinions that you will receive which equates to the more confused that you will become! Have fun with that...

As for me, I am going to go pour myself something now that I have overexerted my brain here! In the morning, I might get a chance to play around with my Thater and Rooney to see if I can tell any more differences for you as far as density and backbone, scritch and scratch, etc. and etc. I usually don't pay much attention (just ask my wife) to all that stuff because I just like to enjoy the shave. Both these brushes are a pleasure! Cheers!!

Hey...Thanks for all the info!!! This is really helpful actually. The unfortunate thing is that I can't find that Thater anywhere that doesn't show a 55mm loft! I feel like this would be WAY to high. The 52 may work well, but 55mm?

Thanks again.

The 52 may work well, but 55mm?

55 sounds a little high. I have a Plisson that my wife gave me that is 57. Its a pillow of a knot but definately not going to overdose on backbone with it. Maybe call a couple vendors and ask if they will measure some of their Thaters?

If you like backbone, forget Thater. I was very disappointed.

I would recommend the Rooney Heritage line, or a Shavemac D0-1 3-band set at a low loft - for example, 25 knot width and 46 loft. Shavemac D0-1 2-band can be extremely rough until it breaks in, which can take weeks or months.

moondoggie, the 3 band thater that sport an extreme bulb lends to further support giving it more backbone than a fan or fan/bulb with 3 band. I see scratch and scritch as the same thing only depends on how your face interprets it. There is also the vie long I mentioned from bullgoose 3 band bulb nice backbone, its denser than the thater and the tips are super soft and very fine. Mine came in at 26, 48 perfection! I dislike the thater 2band too thick of hair not that dense and too high of loft, didnt like the fan/bulb shape however it does have soft tips. Best brush for soft and backbone that behaves well is the old M&F blonde but good luck getting one. Overall I like the way a good bulb 3 band behaves, holds warmth, holds water, and creates lather. Might want to try a finest TGN also an excellent hair with great tips. YMMV

Those of you that have the Rooney and Thater, which handle do you prefer?

I prefer the looks of the Rooney but love the feel of the Thater in my hand. And by no means do I mean that the Rooney is not a comfortable handle, just trying to split hairs here and give you an opinion.

Top Bottom