What's new

Help me pick a Silvertip!

I think an M&F should be considered. My horn handled BB is probably the only one I face latherer with from the higher end of my shelf.
Personally for face lathering I ordinarily grab the SOC Super, or the Nook LE combo or the Caravella. Hmm, seems to be a trend there when I face lather. I do use the Manchurian on the road though.
I always use the Shavemac, Omega, and other silvertips in the bowl it seems.

p.s. EXTERMINATE!

I have a Kent BK4; IMHO it is too soft based on your criteria. It is a really nice, but soft brush. It works fine for me bowl lathering but I suspect many would find it too soft for face lathering. Scrubby it is not.

I had a Kent BK8 and it wasn't the slightest bit scrubby. Shavemac D01 is scrubby, but the hair tips are quite soft. I think they are great brushes. Rooney Super is something else to consider.

+1
I have a Shavemac 944 D01 2-Band and it has the most scrub of any brush in my arsenal, yet no scritch and soft tips. Mine is a 24/50 Fan (I'm not a "bulb" guy) and there is absolutely no floppiness. Rooney heritage would also qualify but is softer with slightly less scrub. Thater 2-band is like a cloud like others have mentioned, but doesn't seem to fit the OP's criteria.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Not sure if I want to go with 2 band or not. I want scrub but I don't know if I want the backbone too strong.

I had a 20 or 22 short loft(can't remember) D-01 2 band in a fan shape. Lather hog. Don't think the fan worked well in a smaller knot, might in a larger taller knot. Just some input.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I like the looks of the M&F brushes but I can't find any in ebony. Just my preference. Anybody know where I might find them in black?

I like the looks of the M&F brushes but I can't find any in ebony. Just my preference. Anybody know where I might find them in black?

They are for the most part, a one man custom operation. They could make
Whatever you want.

That said, at the risk of starting bad
Blood, the ordering process seems like a giant pain in the neck. You have to get someone who knows him to pm you the email address, then you may or may not get an email back after a month or two. I'd like to get one or two someday, but as it stands there are a couple years' worth of acquisitions that I'll get to first because they are just easier to buy.

They are for the most part, a one man custom operation. They could make
Whatever you want.

That said, at the risk of starting bad
Blood, the ordering process seems like a giant pain in the neck. You have to get someone who knows him to pm you the email address, then you may or may not get an email back after a month or two. I'd like to get one or two someday, but as it stands there are a couple years' worth of acquisitions that I'll get to first because they are just easier to buy.

I feel the same way. I don't like the idea of dealing with someone that will go silent for a month in the middle of the ordering process. Beautiful results though. I'm sure eventually I'll cave and have to get one...

And as for the Shavemac...the D01 2 band at 24/50 will not have too much backbone, at least IMO. I was nervous pre-bloom as the knot was very compact and stiff. But after only 2-3 lathers it opened up beautifully and is now stealing other's spots in the rotation.

I feel the same way. I don't like the idea of dealing with someone that will go silent for a month in the middle of the ordering process. Beautiful results though. I'm sure eventually I'll cave and have to get one...

And as for the Shavemac...the D01 2 band at 24/50 will not have too much backbone, at least IMO. I was nervous pre-bloom as the knot was very compact and stiff. But after only 2-3 lathers it opened up beautifully and is now stealing other's spots in the rotation.
THat's good to hear. I am planning on getting a custom shavemac of approximately those specs (or a tad bigger) in the near future.

Top Bottom