What's new

Help me pick a new frag

Hi Friends,

While I may know a fair bit about shaving, I know quite little about fragrances and have next to no experience with them. I’ve only dipped my toe in the water a little bit with them and so far have stuck on the extremely inexpensive end of the spectrum. I’m looking to expand a bit and would be very keen on any recommendations that you might be able to share. Less expensive is better for me... let’s say that $50 is the max cap, but if even lower, all the better.

I tend to prefer natural scents. I like musky, citrusy, Amber, earthy, plant-based and/or fruity but still manly scents. I’m not a huge fan of overly powdery scents or scents that smell like what someone might wear at a night club (I tried Fine platinum and it definitely wasn’t for me). Anything with strong tobacco won’t be a good fit for me.

I have really been enjoying a couple of the Zscents from Razorock, though I’m very sad to see that apparently they are no longer available. Specifically I enjoyed the acqua scent, as well as Irish countryside. Not sure if that helps but at least those are a couple frags that I enjoy.

Not sure if this gives anyone enough to go on, but if so, I’d love to hear any recommendations. Thank you!

Agreed that samples are ideally where you start. I have tested over 100 I believe and bought only about 20. You'll have 8-9 out of 10 you won't like. I buy my samples at Surrender to Chance and Luckyscent. Both have a great reputation for the quality of their samples.

Now...you have a dilemma IMO. Most inexpensive scents are inexpensive because they use synthetic ingredients (=cheap ingredients). That pretty much captures all the designer fragrances out there. The frags that tend to smell natural, are usually niche productions with high-quality natural ingredients and are usually more expensive than what you are looking to spend.

That said...there are a few fragrances and perfumers that buck that trend that I can recommend.

In your price range:

- Guerlain in general: they make good scents and most can be had for well below $50. I own Vetiver and it is just as relevant today as it was in the 1960s when it was launched.

- DR Harris is another good option: I own Arlington and love it. The 50ml spray is under $50. Classic men's scent.

- Parfums de Nicolai Cologne Sologne: This is an EdC but it performs more like an EdT. 100ml is right about $50 and it is one of the finest citrus colognes I have ever smelled.

- Givenchy Les Parfums Mythiques: I don't like the newer Givenchy creations, but the (relatively) recently re-released versions of their old school classics are fantastic. I love LPM Monsieur de Givenchy and Xeryus (not to be confused with Givenchy Gentleman which I despise). These run between $30-$40.

Having shown you those, there are lots of perfumes that are slightly above your price range but that I think are worth considering to splurge on:

- Floris: This London perfumer has been around forever and makes fantastic niche products. I personally own several. Many will be under $90 from the discounters. Given what I have heard from you, I would recommend you try Special 127, Santal, JF, and Elite. Do not try No89 because that one has heavy powder. These are fantastic natural smelling scents way below normal niche prices.

- Houbigant Fougere Royale: This one is green and appropriate everywhere and at all times of the year. Probably my favorite true Fougere. Around $60 from reputable discounters.

- Dior Eau Sauvage: An absolute classic that works everywhere all the time and costs under $80.

Last words of advice...don't be tempted to buy perfumes from Amazon and eBay. SO many fakes. I have bought only from one discounter, namely Fragrancenet.com but I understand Fragrancex is also in the same ballpark.

ANNND...I am not a big fan of it, but I know many people love Creed Aventus and Green Irish Tweed. Creed, in general, has been heavily cloned and there are tons of them available that smell 95% similar under your budget. Cool Water is even cheaper than Floris JF and WAY cheaper than Creed GIT, but all three are very similar. Armaf Club de Nuit Intense is virtually identical to Aventus for well under your budget. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Great post @steffenapelz. I agree with everything you said. Sample, sample, sample. If you find one that you love that is out of your price range, you can usually fine a decant of that fragrance from the Bay. Just make sure you are buying from a reputable seller. A 10ml decant would last you a long time.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I usually buy vintage bottles and if I encounter one that is not known to me then I look it up on the Fragrantica web site. Along with the description of the scent notes etc. it will say - 'If you like this then you probably also like XXX' and then lists a dozen or so alternatives; this has always been a good guide for me. Why not look up a scent that you know you like and then consider those that the site advises you may also like? Good luck.

I've always enjoyed Chrome by Azzaro. It is quite good for its price point. I'm not good at notes and things, but I like it and she likes it.

That is a good one in this context. Price is right and it is a good scent. I would not call it "natural" though...as the name implies, it has a slightly metallic feel to it. I think Azzaro Pour Homme is slightly better in that regard.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
That is a good one in this context. Price is right and it is a good scent. I would not call it "natural" though...as the name implies, it has a slightly metallic feel to it. I think Azzaro Pour Homme is slightly better in that regard.
Thank you for the clarification. Metallic would make sense.

Thank you, kind gents, for the really great suggestions that you've shared so far. I love the idea of a handful of samples... thank you for pointing me in that direction. That's definitely what I'll do. Based on all of your ideas I feel like I have a great list of samples to work my way through. This should be fun! :001_smile

And @steffenapelz - a particular shout out to you for your extremely detailed and helpful reply.

Thank you, kind gents, for the really great suggestions that you've shared so far. I love the idea of a handful of samples... thank you for pointing me in that direction. That's definitely what I'll do. Based on all of your ideas I feel like I have a great list of samples to work my way through. This should be fun! :001_smile

And @steffenapelz - a particular shout out to you for your extremely detailed and helpful reply.
My pleasure. I have been the beneficiary of the advice, time, and patience of many members on this board and I consider it my responsibility to pass along the occasional tidbit where I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable. Glad you found it helpful.

Silly question, but I'm looking at the sample sites and I see you can buy 1ml, 2ml, 3ml, 5ml, etc. all the way on up. What size is best for a sample? Obviously the smaller the better (that's the whole point of sampling, right!?) but I have a feeling it might take several wears in some cases to form an opinion? I'd hate to buy a sample and have it be one/two and done. If it helps, I am not someone who tends to like overly heavy fragrance application...

5 ml to 10 ml is best, IMO because you can try them several times, that will give you an idea if you like it or not. Do not buy blind, try first, you will save lots of money.

As to suggestions, tastes are very personal. Still I assume that you will be inclined to traditional scents after your preferences: lather used for wet shaving tends to be "soft smelling" - with this I mean chances are you will feel put off by modern blends, which are quite strong.

That being said I would suggest you to try classics blended before the 1970s - you can have a look in Basenotes and Fragrantica. Some coming to mind are Vetiver Guerlain, Caron's Pour un Homme, Chanel pour Monsieur, Dior's Eau Sauvage and Rochas Moustache (there are two versions, choose the 1946 one).

Judging from reviews I've read (I did not have the chance to try them) I assume Truefit & Hill, Taylor, Dr. Harris and Geo F. Trumper's scents are in the same league.

Alright - I've now tried Guerlain Vetiver as well as Eau Sauvage EDT. (I think the EDT was the one I was supposed to get, right? Lots of options but that seemed like the most popular from what I could see...)

Both of these frags were great suggestions. I'd say that Eau Sauvage is my preference between the two... it's really lovely. At first I thought it would be a bit too straight ahead floral for my nose, but after it dried down a little bit it developed a really lovely sweetness to balance out the floral notes in a way that I found very pleasing. The strength of this scent didn't seem that strong to me... bad in that it probably will take an extra spray or so (and it's not cheap!), but there's nothing worse than a fragrance that's too strong and overpowering IMO. If people are smelling me from across the room I'm doing something very wrong... at least that's how I enjoy scents.

The Guerlain is very nice but compared to the Dior it just seems a little bit flat to me. Just not nearly the same amount of complexity, at least to my (uneducated) nose. I guess that's what I get for comparing scents where one costs double the other :). Nothing wrong at all with the Guerlain especially given the price... in fact, I'd be shocked to hear if anyone had an objection to the scent. It's very nice - it just doesn't particularly draw me in and make me want more. I guess that's how I'd describe it. So would I gladly accept it and wear it as a gift? Absolutely. But probably won't be the first frag I run out and buy.

So right now Eau Sauvage is in the lead... although I can't wait to try the others that will be arriving soon.

- Houbigant Fougere Royale: This one is green and appropriate everywhere and at all times of the year. Probably my favorite true Fougere. Around $60 from reputable discounters.

Which discounters have this for $60? The ones I’ve visited charge much more.

Top Bottom