What's new

Help me pick a new frag - Part 2

Hello friends! Well, I've just about used up the fragrances that you all helped me pick in this thread a year and half ago so I guess it's time to pick up some more 😂. And for that, I could certainly use your help and guidance as, like I said last time, while I may be quite knowledgeable when it comes to shaving I am very, very lacking in experience as it relates to fragrances. For those who want to help me out without having to dig through an old thread, here's the quick summary:

My favorites that I tried (and ultimately bought bottles of each) were: Floris Santal, Floris Elite, and Eau Sauvage EDT
One that I enjoyed but found a bit flatter and duller, generally less complex and less interesting than the others, was: Guerlain Vetiver
Others that I tried that I didn't enjoy were: Parfums de Nicolai Cologne Sologne, Floris JF, and Houbigant Fougere Royale
For explanations on why I disliked these, you can read the old thread :thumbup:

So. As I think about what to buy next, I truthfully would be very glad to buy any or all of the two Floris scents that I enjoyed and/or the Eau Sauvage again. In fact, I might do just this.... I have thoroughly enjoyed each of these. That said.... I can't ever leave well enough alone (you know how it is right?!?!?), and what sort of B&Ber would I be if I passed up the chance to test out a few more fragrances here, am I right????

So... I could use your help. What else should I try? Ideally I'd like something in a similar price range (or less) than the bottles mentioned that I've enjoyed. I tend to like natural scents that are not overly floral. I will say this... I find Santal to be incredibly classy to the nose, I find Elite to be a scent that reminds me of a good old fashioned bar with some class and lots of dark wood, and I find Eau Sauvage to be a lovely scent with just the right amount of floral notes for me to still tolerate (anything more and it would be a no go for me). When I think about expanding my range of scents, I think I'd enjoy something that's fun. Something for a fun summer evening. Not too young and shopping mall smelling.... but something that a fun classy guy (I hope that describes me? :thumbup:) can put on for fun in the evenings or on the weekend. I'm thinking maybe something with some rum, some pineapple, who knows what else... and NO I can't afford aventus LOL (maybe in the next life). Doesn't even need to be rum or pineapple.... that's just an idea.... but you get what I'm saying I hope. Something I can wear by the water with the family or friends and relax and have a good time. Santal and Eau Sauvage and Elite all have their purposes.... it's not what I just described (at least not in my mind).

So, given the above, and given my preferences based on what I've tried and liked/disliked, if any of you kind gents have made it this far and are still reading, first, thank you!!! and second I really would welcome any suggestions for me that you might have. Thank you!

Cerruti 1881 Pour Homme might be one that you enjoy if you like Eau Sauvage EDT and is typically about a third of the price. Also worth trying is the Duc de Vervins EDT from Houbigant, which is far more wearable and a tad less formal-feeling than FR. A little cheaper, too!

Fun? Well, creating more of a sense of relaxation and well-being for me, but what about Acqua di Parma's Colonia and Fico di Amalfi (no pineapple or rum, but you may enjoy the fig note). I also adore Chanel's Pour Monsieur EDT, a classic 50s chypre that really shines and radiates in the Summer but can be worn all year round as a lighter, Eau de Cologne-style scent!

Don't think this is much like the ones you like (haven't tried any Floris yet!) but what about Safari For Men by Ralph Lauren? More herbal than anything else I've mentioned but a great all-year-rounder with a very classic feel, and can be had for around £35 here in the UK.

How about some juniper? No idea if you've tried Dunhill Icon yet, which is affordable and was suggested in your previous thread, but I'd call that a "fun" fragrance, and if you want to splash out a little more, Penhaligon's Juniper Sling, tho I prefer the Dunhill myself. :)

I like the Juniper Sling recommendation by, SocratestheGadfly. Great scent and one of my faves.
I used Parfumo for the note breakdown. It's one of many resourceful fragrance sites. Parfumo.net
Here are a few recommendations for your consideration - good luck with your search!

Guerlain Homme Eau de Parfum
Top notes: Lime, peppermint, rum
Heart: Floral notes
Base: Patchouli, cedar, vetiver

Histoires de Parfum 1828
Top notes: Grapefruit, lemon, mandarin orange, eucalyptus
Heart notes: Nutmeg, black pepper
Base: Atlas cedar, Patchouli, pine tree cone, Vetiver, frankincense

Taylor of Old Bond Street Eton College Cologne

Lemon, orange, mandarin orange, floral notes, Patchouli

For me, the ones I use frequently are..

Dior Homme Intense (they have re-formulated it, not as long lasting and a weaker smell, but still fab)
Dior Homme Parfum.
guerlain santal royal. Smells Fabulous
Givenchy Gentleman Original
Aramis.

Histoires de Parfum 1828
Top notes: Grapefruit, lemon, mandarin orange, eucalyptus
Heart notes: Nutmeg, black pepper
Base: Atlas cedar, Patchouli, pine tree cone, Vetiver, frankincense

Haven't tried this one yet, but wanted to give 1725 from the same house a mention because despite being another one that is a little high for the budget that @Badger Bill was aiming for, this can still be had at almost half the price at times here in the UK! It's a complex scent that takes time to appreciate and reveals different aspects of itself in different weather conditions, which keeps it interesting and enjoyable for me! I typically wear it from late Summer to early Spring. What I love about it is that it has one foot in the fougere genre and another in the gourmand category, which sort of makes it feel both classic-smelling and modern at the same time. :) I love threads like this one where you get shavers exploring 'proper fragrances' because my journey is going in the opposite direction, I've been a fragrance enthusiast/collector for about 7 years but am a complete newbie to proper wet shaving, at least with a soap and brush anyway!

Alright friends.... well you sure are a bad influence on me apparently, because I now have a bunch of samples coming my way (and some of them are WAY above my budget 😂. ) But no shame in having a little fun, right? At least that's what I'm telling myself LOL.

I ordered samples of the fragrances you've all suggested that I was able to easily find.... so that means I have little vials of the following on the way to my house:
Juniper Sling
AdP Fico di Amalfi
Aramis
Guerlain Santal Royal
RL Safari

Sounds like fun, right!??!?! I'll let you know my nose's verdict once they all arrive and once I've had the opportunity to take them all for a spin. I'm looking forward to this. Should be a good time!!

Oh no - I see I actually ordered guerlain les absolus santal royal instead of the regular santal royal. Oops!!! We’ll see how I like it. 👍😂

Oh no - I see I actually ordered guerlain les absolus santal royal instead of the regular santal royal. Oops!!! We’ll see how I like it. 👍😂
Let us know how it is.

BTW, did you try 1825 or 1828?

Not sure if you are aware that Histoires De Parfums sells 15ml bottles as well. They can usually be found at the discounters for $20-30. I own a bunch of them. Great format when you want to try more than 1-2ml Before committing to a $100 full bottle.

Let us know how it is.

BTW, did you try 1825 or 1828?

Not sure if you are aware that Histoires De Parfums sells 15ml bottles as well. They can usually be found at the discounters for $20-30. I own a bunch of them. Great format when you want to try more than 1-2ml Before committing to a $100 full bottle.

I will let you know for sure!! I haven't gotten to the Histoires de Parfums samples yet (I got 1725 and 1828) but those are next up for me to try and I'm really excited to give them a go hopefully over the next couple of days. I will write back with updates as soon as I have them (I'm taking detailed notes :thumbup:).

I was not aware of the 15ml bottles - that's great to know - appreciate the suggestion!!! I may take a look depending on how much I enjoy the mini sample vials I bought. Stay tuned.

I will let you know for sure!! I haven't gotten to the Histoires de Parfums samples yet (I got 1725 and 1828) but those are next up for me to try and I'm really excited to give them a go hopefully over the next couple of days. I will write back with updates as soon as I have them (I'm taking detailed notes :thumbup:).

I was not aware of the 15ml bottles - that's great to know - appreciate the suggestion!!! I may take a look depending on how much I enjoy the mini sample vials I bought. Stay tuned.
You still have to let us know 🙊

If you like Eau Sauvarge EDT, also one of my all time go to scents, then worth trying the EDP version, subtlety different and a bit more lasting.

If this clean and fresh gentlemanly type of frag works for you, then worth sampling Channel Pour Monsieur and Creed Bois Du Portugal, both I feel are in this genre and are exceptional. Guerlain Heritage is also similar in many ways.

Something a little different and probably a bit more modern in an old school way, that are also worth a try, are Tom Ford Beau De Jour and Guerlain Habit Rouge.

Top Bottom