What's new

Help me pic a boot

Men - 1000 Mile Cap-Toe Boot - 1000 Mile | Wolverine

Men's Black Captain Lace-Up Boot - Thursday Boot Company (thursdayboots.com)

I know we cannot post ebay links. I hope this is not a no no as I have a heck of a time figuring out how to get a pic copied saved and pasted wehre it will show up.

Anyway, going to be dress boot for first part of its life and moving to work boot when the succession moves along. I live on a farm. I work hard. Walk on thorns in the brush. Get in the mud and cow excrement. But I like to dress well. I feel like the cap toe will serve the dress well puspose and I feel like these are weell made boots that should work hard as well.

Pick one of these or recommend me your fav.

Replacing CHIPPEWA BOOTS #1901M25 ALDRICH CORDOVAN which are currently in the work duty. These are some tuff boots. Had em IDK at least 5 years. Soles replaced with a bit more lug not TOO long ago. I would like something similar but with a bit more in the "dress well" side. The cap toe will serve that purpose I think.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Interesting choices. I agree that the cap toe adds some formality.
My recommendation is red wing iron ranger. The 8111 has a cap toe / stitch.

Both of those look like great boots. I like the lower profile toe on the Captain personally. I've been wearing Blundstones lately - good boot FWIW.

Interesting choices. I agree that the cap toe adds some formality.
My recommendation is red wing iron ranger. The 8111 has a cap toe / stitch.
I forgot about the iron ranger. Thanks. Preference is probably going to be 1000 mile or Iron Ranger....so far any way. I have never really heard of Thursday boot company until it started popping up with adds recently. Whether they still are or not, IDK, but Red Wing and Wolverine used to be good names.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I forgot about the iron ranger. Thanks. Preference is probably going to be 1000 mile or Iron Ranger....so far any way. I have never really heard of Thursday boot company until it started popping up with adds recently. Whether they still are or not, IDK, but Red Wing and Wolverine used to be good names.
Same here on the Thursday co. Their offerings look cool. I liked the availability of the red wing store to try on a number of boots in different sizes to get a perfect fit. I think they pass the office look or business casual or whatever. Based on some “dress shoes” people try to pull off ive given up worrying about it.

My well dressed needs are more along the lines of a sport jacket and blue jeans. Or a dress shirt, tie and blue jeans. I believe they will do that nicely. Plus the wife was jsut here and she likes the ranger so there is that LOL

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My well dressed needs are more along the lines of a sport jacket and blue jeans. Or a dress shirt, tie and blue jeans. I believe they will do that nicely. Plus the wife was jsut here and she likes the ranger so there is that LOL
You should have asked her first 🤣
I wear the 4606 too but the contrast stitching might not be a dressy look. But I like the lug sole on that one.

I know there is a Red Wing store 40 or 45 miles from here, but it is not very big and I think when I was in there last it looked more like they stocked tenniboots. Or what ever ya wanna call a boot that is built like a tennis shoe. Same with Wolverine. Find them in the farm stores around here but not the 1000 mile. Nobody around here stocks or buys quality products anymore.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Both of those look like very nice, high quality boots, so I don't think you can go wrong. From a cursory look at the websites as far as I can tell the Wolverine is made in the USA while the Thursday Boot Company is a USA based company and using some US based materials, can't specifically make the 100% made in the USA claim. Makes me lean toward the more expensive Wolverine, which incidentally I like the styling on it a little better. That being said the Thursday Boot Company pair still looks very nice and I think either would be a fine choice.

You should have asked her first 🤣
I wear the 4606 too but the contrast stitching might not be a dressy look. But I like the lug sole on that one.
The Iron Ranger I am looking at has a lug sole and white stitching. It may bot be quite as dressy as the 1000 mile, but I think as long as I keep em shined up they will be dressy enough for me. I mean, if it gets too formal, I got dress shoes.

Both of those look like very nice, high quality boots, so I don't think you can go wrong. From a cursory look at the websites as far as I can tell the Wolverine is made in the USA while the Thursday Boot Company is a USA based company and using some US based materials, can't specifically make the 100% made in the USA claim. Makes me lean toward the more expensive Wolverine, which incidentally I like the styling on it a little better. That being said the Thursday Boot Company pair still looks very nice and I think either would be a fine choice.
Thank you for adding the made in america part. I did not even think of that. Looks like it is now between the Red Wing Iron Ranger and the Wolverine 1000 mile. Surely the red wing is made in amaerica. Perhaps I will check

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The Iron Ranger I am looking at has a lug sole and white stitching. It may bot be quite as dressy as the 1000 mile, but I think as long as I keep em shined up they will be dressy enough for me. I mean, if it gets too formal, I got dress shoes.
I’ve got this model. Can’t go wrong

The Redwing Iron Ranger and Wolverine 1000 miles are both some good entry level options into the handmade heritage boot world.

I have had my 1000 mile boots for about 5 years now. They are well broken in but not my favorite boots. There isnt enough cushion or proper foot support built in. So while they look great in dockers or jeans, I dont wear them if Im going to be on my feet for long periods or walking long distances.

The iron Rangers are likely to be the same experience for me. I tried both shoes on when I was shopping and the wolverines fit better.

I recently upped my budget and picked up a pair of Nicks Handmade Boots. I went with the Roberts in classic brown.

These boots are heads and tails above the wolverine/red wing heritage line. They are extremely well built, offer far superior foot support and still look fantastic. If you can stomach the price point and have some patience (my order took a full month to arrive at my door), these boots would be a great option. There is an option to make custom changes to a stock boot if you want certain features. I also recommend going through their fitment process. It takes longer but I wish I had done that as my boots ended up being a half size too big because I guessed.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Emailed closest Red Wing store to see if they have this boot in stock or how they might be able to assist my purchase. All else fails, I guess I do it the American way and order straight from the interwebs LOL
Cool hopefully they get back
Maybe call. They should bend over backwards IMO

The Redwing Iron Ranger and Wolverine 1000 miles are both some good entry level options into the handmade heritage boot world.

I have had my 1000 mile boots for about 5 years now. They are well broken in but not my favorite boots. There isnt enough cushion or proper foot support built in. So while they look great in dockers or jeans, I dont wear them if Im going to be on my feet for long periods or walking long distances.

The iron Rangers are likely to be the same experience for me. I tried both shoes on when I was shopping and the wolverines fit better.

I recently upped my budget and picked up a pair of Nicks Handmade Boots. I went with the Roberts in classic brown.

These boots are heads and tails above the wolverine/red wing heritage line. They are extremely well built, offer far superior foot support and still look fantastic. If you can stomach the price point and have some patience (my order took a full month to arrive at my door), these boots would be a great option. There is an option to make custom changes to a stock boot if you want certain features. I also recommend going through their fitment process. It takes longer but I wish I had done that as my boots ended up being a half size too big because I guessed.
Thanks for the addition. Those are great looing boots. I actually prefer no "cushion". I actually like just a plain leather soled boot for comfort but not the most durable work sole.

Cool hopefully they get back
Maybe call. They should bend over backwards IMO
Got a reply. They have the Iron Ranger in store but in the amber. Thinking I will go try a pair or 2 on and then have them order what I need. I like dealing with people face to face....cuz when I am unhappy it is more satisfying to yell at a person than a computer screen HAHAHAAA JK

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Got a reply. They have the Iron Ranger in store but in the amber. Thinking I will go try a pair or 2 on and then have them order what I need. I like dealing with people face to face....cuz when I am unhappy it is more satisfying to yell at a person than a computer screen HAHAHAAA JK
Good move. I think they run big so I tried on several sizes and actually brought one pair back the next day to exchange. Years ago I got a red wing dress boot at my normal usual size and it’s basically too big. I never took it back but I never wear it and realized now that was stupid. Once you know your exact size you can order from on line
But yes you have less people to yell at. lol
Keep us posted

I bought a pair of Red Wings for work and went to the store to try on several pairs and styles. It was the right decision as the boots I chose run small in the toe box. Shoes are the one thing I don't buy online.

Top Bottom