What's new

Help me out with my Tabac-ing?!

I've gotta fess up - I'm having some trouble lathering with Tabac!

My routine:

Soak brush in mug/hot water
Shower
Shake brush & gently squeeze
Load brush on puck - 20-30sec
Face lather, adding water as necessary until bubbles in the cream dissapear and the lather is slick, peaky and creamy. (2-3mins)

I get a wonderful rich cushiony lather for the first pass. There is not enough for a second. Definitely not a third!

I once was a bowl latherer and loading for 20-30 seconds with Tabac would have given me enough lather to shave a mammoth, so I cant see it being not enough product (I'm not ruling it out 100% though). If I keep adding water, the first pass stuff just gets richer and richer but the left over stuff is useless for additional passes.

So I re-load the brush btwn passes.

Does anyone else re-load for every pass?

What could I do to improve this routine?

Your advice and opinions wanted and appreciated!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I usually load my brush once when I face lather (or bowl lather). I would say, charge the brush a bit more.

I usually load my brush once when I face lather (or bowl lather). I would say, charge the brush a bit more.

Cheers Luc, shall try that tomorrow. Currently re-reading the lather tutorials (face & soap!). Better put the kettle on. lol.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
No worries mate! Nothing wrong going back to the soap between passes but it's always quicker to charge once!

I've shaven this morning with Tabac and could make a 3rd passs w/out reloading the brush. If it's possible for me then it's possible for you.

Maybe, and that's my personal guess, you should have less water in the brush from the beginning. Less water equals more place for shaving soap. You can't do wrong, just look at the soap: when you feel your shave brush is too dry to take up any more soap add droblets of water. Vice versa is, of course, impossible.

I don't face lather, but loading the brush for longer has got to be worth a go. +1 on the drier brush. May take a bit longer to get the lather going though.

I face lather, use a shaving stick and re-lather each pass. I keep the brush in a mug to help keep it moist and warm between passes, after each pass I splash a little hot water on my face and rub the shaving stick on my face and lather up again with the brush. Works well for me using an el cheapo Mennin shave stick at the moment, I have in the past used a Tabac shaving stick and had good luck with that as well, sometimes mid pass I`ll have to re-lather using just the brush and a tiny amount of water if the lather goes a little dry.

I realise your using soap, but I don`t think that makes much difference, the other thing is if the lather is kept too hot it can collapse, but I don`t think this is the case with your problem. Another thought is if the soap is old the lather doesn`t seem to stay as thick and creamy for as long as lather from a new puck. Hope this helps. Stephen

Last edited:
Cheers Luc, shall try that tomorrow. Currently re-reading the lather tutorials (face & soap!). Better put the kettle on. lol.

I reckon watch michiganlover's videos.

Some people argue that he makes too much lather - but thats not really a problem when you're learning - the idea is to get the lather right first, then you can scale things back so you're wasting less.

Some people argue that he makes too much lather - but thats not really a problem when you're learning - the idea is to get the lather right first, then you can scale things back so you're wasting less.

The biggest thing you should take away from my video, is that you shouldn't be afraid to REALLY load your brush, at least until you can consistently make a good lather.

The swirl for 10 seconds, and go, simply doesn't work from my experience. You need to be loading the brush for closer to a minute. :smile: The brush needs to be thoroughly white with soap.

Last edited:

I watched these the other day - they're quite good! ML gets heaps of lather, I dont care if people say thats too much. I'd love 1/2 that much!!

I tried again today and charged for 60secs...same deal!:frown:

Its a "new" EJ best badger brush - a free replacement for one that was shedding so I might give it a clean first, then go back to lathering in a bowl for a week and see what its like.

When I charged my brush today most of the soap was in the centre of the brush and only on the tips. Size just bigger tahan 5cent coin (sorry, dont really know my US currency. Maybe a quater. Think 15-20mms.)

I checked out the lather in the brush at various points and it doesnt penetrate much more than 8mm. So i'm gonna work on getting the charge over more surface of the brush and getting lather deeper into the brush.

Thanks for the help guys, should be able to sort this out pretty quick - I dont get this challenge with creams at all!

you could try smushing the brush on the puck and then your face a bit more to get the lather mixing in and out of the knot

Just guessing from your description, but you might give this a go:

Start with a drier brush, loaded about as you do now. If you find that the lather isn't up to snuff for pass two and three, dip the just the tip of the brush in some hot water. If that doesn't do it, no shame in reloading the brush a smidge.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I use only tabac, and have had good results with all my brushes. Three tips:

drizzle a bit of water (a couple drops) onto the tabac before you hop in the shower - this will soften up the top layer.

You want your brush moist, not wet. Too much water = deathments. Shake your brush vigorously before use - you can always add a few drops of water later.

Load for a good minute. Those people who load their brushes for 10 seconds don't know the joys of tabac. The bristles should clump together and make an audible sound as they pass over the soap.

This extra prep time will mean, if you have a good brush, the most of the lather will follow the brush around. I have enough for 4 or 5 passes, though I rarely do that many.

Too much water without a doubt. I always start with a very well shaken brush I also put water on the puck,( a few minutes ahead ), to get er ready,remember you can always add a little water as you go if you feel you need to do so and then lather up, you'll definitely see the difference and don't forget to dump the water from the top of your puck before you begin to lather. Tabac is one of my favorite soaps by far,I love the scent,the lather and the feel of my face afterwards,no irritation no problems period !! This is IMHO of course. Good luck and I hope you have many great shaves !:001_smile

Regards,
John

Not sure whereabouts in NSW you are, but how is the water eg soft/hard/tank/town supply. I use Tabac regulary and have never had any problems.

Not sure whereabouts in NSW you are, but how is the water eg soft/hard/tank/town supply. I use Tabac regulary and have never had any problems.

Water here is quite good - most things lather well (soap, shampoo, shaving cream, car wash, dog shampoo and other latherables - if thats a word!) and we dont get mineral deposits on the fixtures. short of a lab test thats all I can really say about it. We're connected to town supply.

I am stoked to get so much advice though. Unfortunately I can only shave once per day, and dont have enough time during the week just to tinker with it in my own time, so it will be a while before I can try everything - maybe the weekend :w00t:

My brush goes on to the puck pretty dry. I even occasionally think its too dry and wonder why I bother to soak it in the first place! - I'll double check this tomorrow though. And I'll try and get the charge & lather thoroughly through the brush.

Once I do get it together I'll put some balloons up or something :biggrin:

Tabac is awsome, I always soak my brush and squeeze out the excess onto my puck. I used my SS RT for the first time this morning and my Tabac after a few swirls to load gave me enough face lather for 4 great passes. Try the water on top trick mate and good luck. :001_smile

Well today I incorporated the tips above and I have to say - top advice all round! I had a small recharge before pass 2 (5secs) and had enough lather for 3 passes with the third being quite generous once I squeezed the brush out.

I did add a few drops of water to the puck before my shower, and since it was almost completely dry I didn't ditch the excess. The brush went to lather slightly quicker but it also meant that the charge spread throughout the brush much better too. I'll try and work it back from there until its spot on.

Thanks Gents - had a great shave this morning :w00t:

Shaving gods must be smiling on me, because I also received a Panogana scuttle today and its increadible! :w00t:

Top Bottom