What's new

help me Obi-Wan Kenobi

if you can remember the first time you sat down to put your first wedge in, after you get it made. picking the material out, using some pliers and a file I get it made. then I drill two holes one on each side.

an explanation that a five-year-old can understand is what's required for me.

Yep. No idea what your asking, But i will say, you dont have to drill two holes in a wedge. One all the way through is fine. And keep in mind that filing only one side still makes a wedge. The difference is the front edge will need shaped a little.

So whats your question?

Read/watch these:

LOL, I am sorry. I didn't realize I was so ambiguous. making and putting a wedge into a new set of scales. before I drill a hole I want to know what I'm doing. so what I am asking is for someone to explain the process start to finish as if they are talking to a 5-year-old. after multiple sclerosis took my ability to move my legs. half the ability to use my hands and finger then it took my ability to comprehend and retain things so one fortunately I have to ask everyone to overlook those shortcomings I know they can the irritating because I raised four kids as a single dad LOL

Read/watch these:

those are awesome. thank you. I have watched a few but I'm not real confident. so I was looking at anything I can find on wedges. but I certainly appreciate your reply and those links I will watch them several times

Yep. No idea what your asking, But i will say, you dont have to drill two holes in a wedge. One all the way through is fine. And keep in mind that filing only one side still makes a wedge. The difference is the front edge will need shaped a little.

So whats your question?
LOL I see people misunderstand things on here it's kind of funny. this is one of those I was talking about a wedge that you put in between the scales at the bottom to hold them apart. where do you drill the hole, do you glue it stuff like that LOL but you make sense

Legion

Staff member

Here you go. Hopefully the pictures are still available to see.

I've refined the process a little since these threads, but it is still more or less the same idea.

One thing I've changed is I will drill both scales while they are still together, then drill the wedge, leaving some wedge overhang out the sides. Then I will pin it all together and remove the wedge overhang with a Dremel and sandpaper to make it flush.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the vids above as I'm at work.
Rough shape the scales, Drill the holes in them, Stick a piece of material between the scales that is a little bigger than needed for a wedge and drill it while between the scales. rough shape wedge then thin (make a wedge).
I rough shape my scales with both blanks taped together. Then before I separate the blanks I drill the holes with the drill press to be sure the hole is straight. I like my holes around 3/8+ from the ends of my scales on both ends. I prefer the same distance from the ends. Making a wedge can be tricky. You want the thick part of the wedge to be about the thickness of the tang of the razor at the pivot hole. Then leaving that, make a wedge shape by tapporing. When the wedge is about right you should be able to hold the wedge between the scales and have around a 3/4" spread at the pivot end of the scales. Like a V. This will give about the proper tension when pinned togehter to make the razor work as it should when opening and closing. I like to bolt the wedge end together before finish shaping the wedge to the scales and shaping scales too.

Anyways, don't glue your wedge as that is not proper. Some people still do it. Your wedge shape should be enough so that when the razor is closed the spine of the blade stands up and follows the top edge of the scales. Not fall inside or stand up too much so that it doesn't look closed right. Keep the tip of the blade as close to the wedge as possible. A large gap just doesn't look as nice. When I fist started restoring razors it took me a couple hours to make a wedge. Now I can knock out a few at a time without even seeing the scales (Except for the drilling). Razor restoring is not as easy as some think it is. Its time consuming and a lot of fine details come into play.

Take a look at this thread Post 9. (Need advice on how to make a wedge for new scales)

Making and installing a proper wedge is critical to how a razor will work to keep the scales in tension, prevent warping, afford proper clearance and close centered in the scales.

It only takes a bit of planning, (laying out on paper) and a few critical measurements to make scales and a wedge that will work properly.

Read post 9 then ask any questions that are unanswered.

Top Bottom