What's new

Help me love my Phileas (or replace it?)

I'm not a FP guru at all, and this is my first post in the Nib. I am looking for help with one of my three pens.

I have a fine-nib Pelikan M200 that I absolutely love and have used for about four years. This is always inked and always close at hand.

I have a medium-nib Lamy Safari that I carry in my pocket and use daily. I love the way it writes and don't mind its looks, though of course the Pelikan trumps it.

And then there's the Waterman Phileas. Medium nib but it writes like a scratchy fine nib. Feels clunky in my hand. Sure, it was locally available when I bought it, but outside of that, I have never liked anything about it. Help me out. Is the scratchy, stingy nib normal? I sometimes have trouble even with pretty wet inks getting the thing to flow smoothly, and I never get a line that looks anything other than fine or extra-fine.

Should I just give up on the thing? Or should I learn to love it. Give me some guidance here, please.

I'm not really looking to get a FP collection going, but three is a nice number for me, so if I do lose the Phileas, what should take its place? I prefer low-profile instruments, and I'm not looking to drop a lot of money, but I certainly don't need another Safari or the like right now. I've considered replacing the Phileas with a second M200 or an M215, but expanding the repertoire is not out of the question.

For reference, I don't do a lot of letter writing. I do write a lot of lists and do quite a bit of grading of my students' writing with the Lamy, and the Pelikan sees use in my daily journal writing and the composition of some short fiction and personal essays. The Phileas was used for note-taking in grad school, and I would love to carry it now in my bag to work so that I could have an extra inked pen at hand and so that I could keep the Pelikan at home as a desk pen. In short, for me, the Phileas feels second-class in a way that the Lamy doesn't (i.e. it has to do with the way it feels in use, not its price or aesthetics). I don't want to have to slum it when I'm away from home and don't want to always have to carry the M200 with me. So, do I just need to have some work done on the Phileas? Or is it time to seek another pen?

BTW, I have owned a Parker 51 and a couple of Esterbrook Js and didn't care for the filling system on the latter. As for the Parker, well, it had a fine crack in it when I bought it, and I never got over the crack, even though it didn't affect the pen in use. So, a 51 may be on the table as an option, too.

Last edited:
i'll chime in with my usual lamy 2000 suggestion. it is low-profile and about in the same price range as another m200 (about $130 at isellpens i think) and the 2000 writes so smooth. it is also a piston filler like your pelikan. you can never go wrong getting another pelikan either.

Do you have a loupe or magnifying glass? I bet the nib is slightly out of shape. It is worth looking at, should only take a few seconds. I bought a Pelikan 140 off of Ebay and the nib tines weren't where they were supposed to be. Used my loupe and thumbnails and voila. It is my favorite pen and only took thirty seconds.

The Phileas has a gold wash stainless nib. It writes like any pen with a stainless nib. Not much flex to stainless when compared with gold.

As John has suggested take a look to make sure your nib tines are in alignment. If one is lower than the other you will get a LOT of scratching, dragging, skipping, and maybe even tear your paper while writing.

proxy.php

Just to echo the others, I bet your nib needs a tune up, these things happen. I'll also echo the Lamy 2000 it is my favorite pen and I use it daily. Sometimes even pens like the Pelikans and Lamys need a tweek. When I received my Lamy it was scratchy and would not write well at all a d it is a fine nib and should be wet. So I got out the loupe and realigned the tines with my thumb nail and it writes like a dream.

Clearly there's something awry with the nib. I have a Phileas with a medium nib and it's quite smooth. You'll need some magnification to see if there's a problem. Good luck.

I will try to find access to some magnification and take a look. It has always written this way, since I took it out of the box, but I'll see what I can see. Thanks, gents.

Maybe it won't feel so clunky and chunky in my hand when it writes better...

I will try to find access to some magnification and take a look. It has always written this way, since I took it out of the box, but I'll see what I can see. Thanks, gents.

Maybe it won't feel so clunky and chunky in my hand when it writes better...

Ignore all of the above posts. The Phileas is rubbish, and you should replace it with a nicer pen. I'll send you a PM with my address, and I'll take care of the disposal for free. No need to thank me.

-Andy

Ignore all of the above posts. The Phileas is rubbish, and you should replace it with a nicer pen. I'll send you a PM with my address, and I'll take care of the disposal for free. No need to thank me.

-Andy
I was going to mention that earlier but wanted to give the nib the appreciative try and fix it first before I would take it off his hands ;)

Clearly there's something awry with the nib. I have a Phileas with a medium nib and it's quite smooth. You'll need some magnification to see if there's a problem. Good luck.

+1. I also have one with a fine nib and it writes smoothly as well.

I was going to mention that earlier but wanted to give the nib the appreciative try and fix it first before I would take it off his hands ;)

-Andy

Such generous gentlemen. :wink2:Thanks, guys, but after some tweaking this afternoon, it is writing pretty darn smoothly. I will give it more proper TLC when I can get a better look at what I'm doing, but a magnifying glass and thumbnails really did do wonders. This thing was not right out of the box, but it was a pleasure to use this afternoon. Wrote a couple of pages just because it felt good. It's not perfect yet, but like I said, when I can get a better look tomorrow and use some tools on it, should be excellent.

Thanks all for the advice on that front. I guess since I never messed around with my Pelikan and stayed away from pen forums so I wouldn't wind up an addict, well, I never thought to just tinker with the tines. I do appreciate all of the helpful pointers and pics.

Btw... fix the old one, buy a new one

And welcome to the nib :lol:

:001_smile Yeah, I figured out pretty quickly the approach here. Brushes get my dollars right now, but I know what a rabbit hole pens could become for me. It's part of why I sold off the 51 and Esterbrooks. I felt myself slipping into AD mode.

Speaking of which, now that I've seen all the recs for the Lamy 2000, I have been poking around and pricing it, and damned if I'm not thinking it might be nice to shift from a three-pen rotation to, say, four or five. :001_rolle Fortunately, I'm reining in the urge for now, but give me another couple of days in the Nib and I'm hosed. Just reading the thread about a first FP for a street cop I picked up a handful of pens for the wishlist.

This is the thing about wetshaving. It's not just the shave goods that get ya. It's all those peripheral gentlemanly pursuits...

Last edited:
I've had some stubborn nibs need the slightest extra nudge with a set of tweezers but it could also have been I keep my nails super short or it was on a nail of a Sheaffer Imperial nib... It really doesn't take much to move a nib.

Top Bottom