What's new

Help me like badger brushes, please.

I got a Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger in December, tried it several times over a few months, then traded it away. I didn't care for the small size, the wild smell, or the needly scritchiness. So I stuck with my Haircut & Shave 24mm synthetic, added an Omega S-brush synthetic, and most recently a RazoRock Big Bruce synthetic. The BB is hands-down my favorite of the lot, but I've been thinking about badgers again.

Specifically, I've been eyeing the Semogue SOC badger with cherry handle. I love the look, I've read great things about it, and the cost isn't too crazy. I figure if I could get one really good badger and one really good boar (haven't even started shopping for one of those yet), I'd have a nice 3-brush rotation. I just don't know how other badgers compare to the one I had.

Any feedback is appreciated, even if it's a recommendation for a different brush under $100. Thanks!

I have a SOC in cherry handle and love that thing. It's got a weird weave to it, different to other boar brushes. It gives for a nice face feel while still staying soft. Perfect size for me although it does eat up the lather at times. I always make sure to load heavy to counteract that. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a solid boar brush.

SOC Day 7.jpg

Do you bowl or face lather?

Are you looking for something as close as possible to your synthetics, or how open are you to scritch (think tips of bristles) and/or scrub (think side of bristles as brush is splayed).

Do you bowl or face lather?

Are you looking for something as close as possible to your synthetics, or how open are you to scritch (think tips of bristles) and/or scrub (think side of bristles as brush is splayed).

I face lather about once a week, but would do more if I like the brush. The Big Bruce can be a bit floppy at times, so I’d like to try a firmer brush. Scrub would feel great, but scritch is no fun.

Was never a big fan of boars. Semogue 1470 and BC Cerda were the two I was happy with for awhile. SOC was good too, but I prefered the BC cerda and they were similar.

Got a zenith Short n scrubby now that is my only pure boar any more. Works great, but still rarely use it. 99.9% of the time I use my mixed hair knots or a Rooney Finest these days. Plus the occasional Simpson three band (best/super).

I don't know if I can help you like boar brushes, but if you like the Big Bruce but want something like that - only with a little more structure and the feel of a natural bristle, the Omega Evo synthetic 28mm feels a lot like a natural fiber brush to me, but without the downsides (bristle brittleness, need to soak it, smell, drying time, general fussiness)

That wasn't exactly the answer to your question, but if you want a big natural bristle brush feel and you have no objection to synthetics, that's what I'd recommend, and it's a beast of a face-lather brush - near perfect density & splay for face lathering. The issue with the Evo is finding one. They launched the brush just before the Crapdemic(tm) hit and it sold out almost immediately. I bought the expensive special edition one not because I wanted to, but because by the time I heard that WCS had some in stock and got to the site, it was the only one left, lol. In retrospect I'm glad that I did because it's a beautiful handle - it's sort of a huge green metalflake effect

The original ash Semogue Owner's Club boar brush is the only brush I still own, after having maybe 10 at the peak of my collection including Simpson and other high end badger varieties. I like its rustic appeal, and it was a gift from my wife. It has softened up quite a bit in the years that I've had it, though it's still obviously a boar brush.

WELL, CRAP!!!!

The title says Boar, but I meant to write Badger. Any chance a mod can edit the title for me?

😂🤣
I’ll tell you what... since there’s already confusion between badger and boar, and you were considering the Semogue SOC....

Have a look at the Semogue SOC mixed brush

I strongly recommend it, great brush!
“Best of both worlds”, as they say...
They also have it with a Taj (white) or butterscotch resin handle, depending on what you prefer.

😂🤣
I’ll tell you what... since there’s already confusion between badger and boar, and you were considering the Semogue SOC....

Have a look at the Semogue SOC mixed brush

I strongly recommend it, great brush!
“Best of both worlds”, as they say...
They also have it with a Taj (white) or butterscotch resin handle, depending on what you prefer.

Thanks, I’ve looked at that one too. I guess I’ll get useful info no matter how the thread is titled! :thumbup1:

Semogue makes a series of brushes in a black handle they call Torga and another in red called Galahad. Each is offered in a variety of knots. I think it's a good opportunity to own and learn about different hair in the same handles from the same quality brush maker. Of course you could always get the boar and 2-Band in SOC's and they have a mixed available now too..

Torga C3's in boar, mixed and 2-Band finally arrived at my door from Portugal and each is exceptional and a keeper. I've only used them a few times but I keep thinking why do I need all these other brushes when these 3 three provided excellent shaves and all the variety I need.

semogue-torga-c3-web-jpeg.1113740

Last edited:
A Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger was my favorite brush for several years, until my old mug could no longer take the scritch. Over the past 10+ years, I've had 20+ badgers (including 8 Simpsons and 3 Rooneys), 3 boar and 3 synthetic. I never adapted to a boar and the only synthetic I still have is a Razorock 24mm chrome. The RR might be a favorite if I didn't have 3 2-band badgers. IMO, if you don't want to shell out $150+ for a Rudy Vey 24mm 2-band fan Shavemac or a 24-26mm 2-band Thater, save your money and stick with the RR synth.

In the boar dept, I think the others are really spot on with the recommendation of the SOC boar, as long as you are willing to break it in. I did it with mine, 6 weeks of daily use and it’s a dream of a boar brush.

Something that is pretty nice maybe with a bit more backbone, only slightly, would be the Zenith B03-A26 (i think that’s the correct model number) it’s a firm knot that doesn’t scritch but has nice scrub. Like all zenith boars, our off he box it feels as soft as most other broken in boars and will get softer. You can get this brush from $11.50 - $25 if you shop around.

SOC boar after 6 week break in.
129419DE-52AE-4B40-B8C9-FCD01E28A148.jpeg

WCS FINEST 3rd from the right. Zenith 31mm Manchurian 2nd from the right.
1D632AB3-E7CD-4F05-86FB-40E11FE3EC64.jpeg

Zenith B03-A26 4th from the left
SOC boar 5th from left, finest 3rd from right
Zenith 28mm manchurian 2nd from right.
BA664BA7-BFF5-4AEA-981D-C2C9D96EE4CB.jpeg

With badgers, my limited experience with silvertips is that they don’t have the backbone I am looking for but I haven’t fully abandoned the quest. I have the SOC 2 band finest and a WCS 2 band finest. They are different from each other but I like them both fairly well. I am also enjoying a new zenith Manchurian 28mm. This brush started with a good bit of scritch that I was expecting, but uncharacteristic of badgers, the scritch has entirely gone away in about 6 shaves. Now it’s a nice soft badger with good backbone and great scrub. I’m not sure if all the manchurian type badgers are really similar, but you might look into a few manufacturers of manchurians and see what folks are saying about them. I will admit, for me finest was good as far as I was concerned but I almost always picked a boar over a finest brush. Now with two manchurians, I am pretty well split each day picking between the boar and manchurian brushes. Manchurian is probably always going to be my preferred badger.

If you want pointed to a few places to see any of the items I’ve mentioned , send me a pm and I’ll shoot some links over to you.

Last edited:
I would start with a good quality economic option. I own one and second on the way. The first is Omega Pro 100049 . Great brush all around - no issues yet. Even better - the price $10. If you like it, may be upgrade to something with fancier handle.

Future note, I'll be doing a PIF soon of this brush, a lathering bowl, and unused sample soaps in the next week or so.

I own a Semogue 830 boar brush, which I acquired for the princely sum of £14.99! I can safely say it’s one of the best brushes I own. Based on that one I can see why they are rated highly by others. Paul H Films on YouTube owns many brushes but uses his 830 frequently so that was my cue to try one out. I used it pretty much constantly for the last year up until recently when I got hold of a Razorock Snowman and a complementary synthetic from Gentleman’s Face Care Club.

So... if you can obtain an 830 for a cheap price I would definitely say give it a go. It softened up pretty quickly and I was able to get rid of the very slight funky smell quickly too.
Great for lathering hard soap, croaps and creams.

6E8BA312-1CE0-4025-8188-0057CA023C75.jpeg
P

EDIT: I see you meant to ask about badgers! However, I’d still say consider the 830 for the boar in your rotation.

I made do with two fairly inexpensive pure badger brushes- one from Taylor of Old Bond St - the starter Starter Pure Badger Shaving Brush - https://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/collections/shaving-brushes/products/starter-pure-badger-shaving-brush

and a similar one from Cyril Salter - Cyril R. Salter Pure Badger Medium Shaving Brush - https://www.cyrilrsalter.co.uk/products/cyril-r-salter-pure-badger-medium-shaving-brush?variant=2905866500
(except mine had a black handle).

Both are still in very good condition after 6-7 years of use.

Last edited:
Now that I realize you meant to write "badger", the 2-band finest SOC is a terrific brush and a great way to get into badger, and it won't break the bank.

I have a SOC in cherry handle and love that thing. It's got a weird weave to it, different to other boar brushes. It gives for a nice face feel while still staying soft. Perfect size for me although it does eat up the lather at times. I always make sure to load heavy to counteract that. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a solid boar brush.

View attachment 1117735

I have the SOC in resin. I love the brush but it sure is floppy and as has been said, can really chew up lather. I use it more now for bowl lathering where I can control the larger quantities. Still, I love this brush!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom