What's new

Help me fix Gillette TTO Silo Doors

Hello everybody! Hope you all doing ok and please stay safe.
I'm having issues with two of my vintage Gillette razor, one of them being a SS Red Tip and the other a 1946/1947 Aristocrat.
They both open and close their doors fine, but when I try to open or close them I feel some sort of resistence from the twist knob,
like I need to push harder.
How do I fix this?

Hello everybody! Hope you all doing ok and please stay safe.
I'm having issues with two of my vintage Gillette razor, one of them being a SS Red Tip and the other a 1946/1947 Aristocrat.
They both open and close their doors fine, but when I try to open or close them I feel some sort of resistence from the twist knob,
like I need to push harder.
How do I fix this?
There is very little that can go wrong with a Gillette TTO razor, unless it’s dropped. Most likely it’s gummed up with soap and crud. Best cure to start with is a long soak in warm water and dish soap. Let them soak for a while and periodically work the mechanism. Just keep doing this and they should free up. The non-bleach Scrubbing Bubbles works too.

It sounds like you have a dropped knob.
This is what I do:

DSCN1495.JPG
DSCN1496.JPG
DSCN1497.JPG

There is very little that can go wrong with a Gillette TTO razor, unless it’s dropped. Most likely it’s gummed up with soap and crud. Best cure to start with is a long soak in warm water and dish soap. Let them soak for a while and periodically work the mechanism. Just keep doing this and they should free up. The non-bleach Scrubbing Bubbles works too.
I think both of them were dropped before I got them. I did put the Aristocrat in warm water, dish soap and just a drop of vinegar but it didn't work.

I wonder if one, or both, of the end caps are bent & rubbing against the base plate - creating resistance when opening & closing.

With the Dawn & warm water soak, it may take 4 - 5 soakings, with each soaking lasting 12 - 24 hours. In between each soak, rinse with very warm water & open & close the doors a few times.

R

romsitsa

Check head alignment while opening/closing. Turn the knob till you feel the resistance, then check wether something looks off (T-bar or rod).

Adam

or has someone in the past done a bad repair for the dropped nob side of things and made it over tight ? if they have you will feel resistance as the tto nob and shaft are rubbing on the outer sleeve of the handel

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good luck with the repair. I would definitely try the long soaks first and see what happens. If not then with @tonich tutorial you know what to do.

Top Bottom