What's new

Help Me Fix Dad's Brush

I was recently given a few of my dad's old shaving items including a Executive Fatboy (win! IMG_5450.jpegIMG_5449.jpeg) and an Old Spice mug and a worn out Ever-Ready brush.

I am in the process of installing a new knot and need a little help. It is a 22mm knot and I just drilled out the old knot and have a hole that is slightly over 22mm.

The issue is that the handle is hollow and since the hole is a little larger than the knot (which I have yet to purchase). I'm worried that I'll need some support to hold the knot at the proper height.
I'd say I'd need to make up a little over 1" inside the handle.
I've seen where folks have used a stack of pennies and installed a few ball bearings for weight.

Can you give some advice on how to make sure the knot stays at the correct height while the glue dries. I think a stack of pennies would make the handle to heavy No?

I'm also looking for a good value knot in this size. I'm still undecided about a synthetic or badger. I think the original may have been boar.

Dirty

Can you give some advice on how to make sure the knot stays at the correct height while the glue dries. I think a stack of pennies would make the handle to heavy No?

I'm also looking for a good value knot in this size. I'm still undecided about a synthetic or badger. I think the original may have been boar.
You are correct and pennies will be too heavy; a couple is probably okay as those are light handles. Glue in a hardwood riser piece would be my choice.
The hole diameter should be slightly wider than the knot to allow for glue around the knot base. I would use 2 pack epoy for the adhesive.
Go back in a boar knot to leave it authentic.
This may give you some help; Question on EverReady Restore - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/question-on-everready-restore.477927/

Last edited:
I did a TGN silvertip in my grandfather/uncle’s Ever Ready 150L.

You can also try a silicone to temporarily figure out your desired knot hight and thus backbone, then fix it with epoxy when you’re happy.

And you may find, a 20mm knot fits your 22mm hole just right. At least for a badger.

An inexpensive (all things being relative) silvertip 20mm set at about 47mm loft is the perfect balance of soft with backbone to allow me to face lather happily with. A 45mm loft kept the bulb more compact with less splay.

I personally am preferring fans to bulbs these days

Last edited:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
You can also try a silicone to temporarily figure out your desired knot height and thus backbone, then fix it with epoxy when you’re happy.
+1. Big silicone fan. Epoxy is permanent, which means drilling if you must remove. Silicone may not be permanent, but it's easy to use, waterproof, and the handle or knot shouldn't get damaged if removal/adjustment becomes necessary. I prefer the .5g Hardman silicone packets from Maggard's at $2 each. Perfect size for a single knot.

1650644138419.png

Thanks all,

I ordered a knot from Maggards but I didn't see the silicone pack that they sell until I read Messygoon's reply. I do have some epoxy that I use for wood working projects. It is a good viscosity for pouring which is what I need. The 5 minute stuff is much thicker I believe.

I have a wood dowel I can fit and I'll need to drink a better quality wine to get the cork. I usually don't drink unless I'm alone or with someone.:adoration:

Dirty

Maggard SHD knots. I like the fan shape.

As far as the handle, I enjoy having some weight in mine. I will fill them with quarters or nickels to get the right height. Maybe finishing with a dime if I need just a little more. But cork will work too if you don't want the weight. Just silicone the cork in place at the bottom. After it's dry then fill to just past the top of the cork and set your knot. A little extra silicone is ok but too much and it squeezes out and you don't want that. There is a fine line.

Hobby Lobby sells cork bottle stoppers. A few to a package for not much money. Your wooden dowel should work well too.

You may discover that the knot you ordered may not be small enough. Although typically the base of the knot (the glue disc) is often slightly smaller than the advertised size, often as much a .5 mm, that is not the size you need to worry about. Just above the disc the knot is larger in diameter. You sort of witnessed that from the brush I gave you. It is a 28 mm knot but you measured it a 32 mm because that is the size where it comes out of the handle.

Your handle has plenty of room to expand the hole. I have installed 24 mm knots in handles similar to yours. The best tool for that is a Dremel with a drum sander attached. If you don't have access to one, send the handle and the knot to me and i will open up the hole for you. It is sort of a trial fit sort of thing.

Well I got the new knot installed.
I used epoxy and a cork filler. I just needed to trim the length of the cork a little.

The problem with cork is that it wants to float out. I had to keep an eye on it.

I've used the brush a few times. After several false starts making lather,I'm improving and I look forward to making good lather.

Thanks all
DirtyIMG_5578.JPG

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@Dirty Harry : that appears to have turned out absolutely beautifully!

And I am never surprised, but constantly impressed by two things here on Badger and Blade:

The skill of our members, and the the generosity displayed! That was a very kind offer by you @Big Jim ! Thank you.

I went with a 22mm 2 band badger. I'm happy so far.

I've got the razor sorted but I'm waiting to try a super 109. The brush is great!

For some reason I can't get used to dad's old spice cup. I just need a little more room to work and I tend to bang on the sides with the brush. Noisy.
I'm using a bowl that I found in the house but I'd like to get a dedicated bowl. I like the type with a "mushroom" handle that you can hold and then have the cup in the middle of your hand.
Any recommendations?
Then its on to a suitable razor/brush holder. I did purchase one and the brush portion was to small for any of my brushes.
Is there that much variance in sizes?

Dirty

I've got the razor sorted but I'm waiting to try a super 109. The brush is great!

For some reason I can't get used to dad's old spice cup. I just need a little more room to work and I tend to bang on the sides with the brush. Noisy.
I'm using a bowl that I found in the house but I'd like to get a dedicated bowl. I like the type with a "mushroom" handle that you can hold and then have the cup in the middle of your hand.
Any recommendations?
Then its on to a suitable razor/brush holder. I did purchase one and the brush portion was to small for any of my brushes.

Dirty
I put a 20 mm Maggard 2 band badger knot into a Made Rite handle, and it is one of my favorite brushes. Your 22 mm looks great in your Dad's brush handle; I'm sure you'll enjoy using it!

This is one of my favorite mugs. It is short somewhat like the Old Spice mug, but it flares out much larger. It works well with all but my largest brushes. Notice that there is a selection of colors for the rim stripe. It is also available on Amazon, but without the color stripe.

Any recommendations?

Dirty
if you havent found one yet, stirling soap co makes a really nice bowl. I love face lather which is a recent discovery of mine, give it a try maybe. As for the stand, I found a great one on thingiverse I was able to 3D print and it fits all my brushes relatively well(I have your exact brush different knot) Razor Stand - no support by Tony_D - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:611999 A little CA glue and you're off to the races.
-mouse

Top Bottom