What's new

Help me find the right Gillette Tech

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, I finally sold my Gillette New Long Comb head on a Cooncat Bob Bull Mastiff handle. Had it for years thinking I would "grow into" liking aggressive razors, and it is never going to be the case. I have a normal beard, in terms of fullness and stiffness, and I have normal skin--neither sensitive, nor leather-like, and I've been happily shaving with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Plat in a Merkur 34C for the last 4-5 years and just enjoying my shaving life. I don't really need to experiment with razors and blades, but I found myself getting bored and wandered back in here. Probably a mistake, but ...

Anyway, now I want to go the exact opposite direction and try a mild razor, and the universal recommendation, of course, is a Gillette Tech. Upon doing some research, however, I discovered they were made from the outbreak of WWII up into the 1970's and come in a bewildering array of materials, handles, and base designs. I'm overwhelmed.

What I am looking for is a well-balanced Tech to try Feather and Kai blades in and see how I like that arrangement. I like fatter handles, generally, but it looks like some of the grippier-looking ones are longer and slimmer, which is also OK. Do I want a flat cap? Brass base? Diamond-stamped base? Which handle? Aluminum? Were there any changes in the shaving geometry of the razor over time?

Can someone point me in the direction of a likely candidate to start with? Yes they are cheap, and I could start collecting them, but I really have no interest in collecting and have sold or PIF'd all my old razors away (except my birthday red tip). I would like a nice razor, which, if I like it enough, I may have replated and add to my daily driver collection. Thank you very much.

John

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Hahahaha, OK, I'll try Feather and Kai blades, after all, I am trying something new.

And I did use the search function, BTW, it's jut that the sheer volume of stuff on this razor is mind boggling and I really just want someone to tell me, "Here you, go, just get this." I'm kind of in analysis paralysis, I guess, and I don't want 5 of the darn things. :D

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I've been there Marco, and I've had a razor or two refurbished by them. I don't have ANY trouble finding techs, they are ubiquitous.

I guess I'll just grab one and go. Was hoping to narrow down to a specific choice, that's all. Thansk!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I've been there Marco, and I've had a razor or two refurbished by them. I don't have ANY trouble finding techs, they are ubiquitous.

I guess I'll just grab one and go. Was hoping to narrow down to a specific choice, that's all. Thansk!

I have no chance to find Techs here and I'd LOVE to have a revamped 1950's Ball End Tech. Maybe in some way, one day...

...Can someone point me in the direction of a likely candidate to start with? Yes they are cheap, and I could start collecting them, but I really have no interest in collecting and have sold or PIF'd all my old razors away (except my birthday red tip). I would like a nice razor, which, if I like it enough, I may have replated and add to my daily driver collection...
You are on the right track. I'd narrow it down to a fat handle model (pre or post war up to early 1950s) or an English flat bottom Tech. I am happy with a pre-war fat handle Tech I picked up for practically nothing. If I went looking again, I might like to find a Canadian Tech pre-war fat handle model. All-brass with nickel plating in decent shape, that should scratch the itch.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
John, in addition to the vintage Gillette Techs, have you considered mild modern razors? There are some great options that I regularly use and enjoy very much.

If you want mild a post-war Tech is the way to go. I picked up one that was NOS and it provides a superb shave.

I have a post-war Tech (fat handle) and it works quite well. It's light, simple and effective. After Summer I plan to spend some time with it. It requires a shallower angle than my other razors, but the lightweight and short handle make it very easy to maneuver.

I find my Tech shaves better than my 1950's Flare Tip Super Speed

When I was in the market for a Tech, I asked Matt from Razor Emporium about the different Tech models, and his answer was that the differences are so minimal that it is better not to overthink. In his view, Gillette has not really "tweaked" or "fine-tuned" the geometry of the head over the years, so the (small) differences are likely due to different manufacturing processes and materials used

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
You are on the right track. I'd narrow it down to a fat handle model (pre or post war up to early 1950s) or an English flat bottom Tech. I am happy with a pre-war fat handle Tech I picked up for practically nothing. If I went looking again, I might like to find a Canadian Tech pre-war fat handle model. All-brass with nickel plating in decent shape, that should scratch the itch.

Thank you, sir! I just went to eBay and pulled the trigger on one. I was overthinking it. Now to order a sharp blade sampler.

Quest has ended. For now.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
OK, so I guess I should get a blade sampler now. What are considered the sharpest blades these days? I seem to remember

• Feather
  • Kai
  • 7 O'Clock Yellow

What else. Does anyone know if a vendor puts together a "sharpest sampler" or do I need to roll my own? Thanks! Can't wait to try this.

John

P.S. Definitely gonna "roll my own". I don't need another blade sampler with all the stuff I've already tried (Dorco? AGAIN?)
I'll wait till some of you list your favorite SHARP blades for the Tech other than the three above. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Looking in the blades subforum and found a couple more. Thanks, ouchyfoot!
  • Feather
  • Kai
  • 7 O'Clock Yellow
  • Gillette Silver Blue
  • Astra SP
  • Lord New Platinum

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I don’t use DE much anymore but this Post War Tech treats me well every time I revisit.
5FC581B3-5B4E-4734-BDAD-B5D104DAC711.jpeg

Top Bottom