What's new

Help me find certain soaps.

I'm looking to buy soaps that contain sodium laureth sulfate. I know some guys do not like it. I do like it. So far I have Van der Hagen Luxury, Pereira's, Clubman, Nivea stick, and La Toja cream. If you know of any others that you are sure contain SLS, I would like to know. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy soaps that contain sodium laureth sulfate. I know some guys do not like it. I do like it. So far I have Van der Hagen Luxury, Pereira's, Clubman, Nivea stick, and La Toja cream. If you know of any others that you are sure contain SLS, I would like to know. Thanks for any help.

wow, i'll be on look out!
but tell us, why is SLS important to you?

wow, i'll be on look out!
but tell us, why is SLS important to you?

Since I started this "hobby" of Traditional Wet shaving about 7 years ago, my bathroom sink keeps clogging up about every 9 months with a black scum. I believe it is mostly shaving soap residue. The SLS has been known to reduce that problem.

Since I started this "hobby" of Traditional Wet shaving about 7 years ago, my bathroom sink keeps clogging up about every 9 months with a black scum. I believe it is mostly shaving soap residue. The SLS has been known to reduce that problem.

geez, any way to clear that clog?
hot water? bleach? draino?
in my 6 years of wet shaving, i've never had any serious clog like that.
admittedly, every year or so, i'll pull out the drain and wash out all the black gunk.
but not so bad as to restrict my choice of soaps.

cella omega gillette penhaligon hammam bouquet december 25 2016.jpg

There are a bunch of synthetic surfactants that work well in hard water. Triethanolamine, sodium cocoyl isethionate, cocamidopryl betaine, etc. Rather than looking for specific ingredients, going with your observation is probably a safer bet. If you see alot of soap scum forming on the razor, for instance, after shaving.

The black scum might also be due to stubble going down the drain and clogging.

Last edited:
A manual powered plumbing snake is inexpensive and usually effective for short runs. Allows you to avoid nasty chemical drain cleaners.

We have two sinks in our bathroom. One is mine and the other my wife's. You can guess which one I have to unclog from time to time. I just use one of the plastic hair grabbing tools with all of the barbs on it and it clears it right up. I could take apart the p-trap or throw chemicals down it but this is quick and easy.

Point is my side never gets clogged, not ever, and I've used all kinds of shaving soap without sodium laureth sulfate. What I'm getting as it that I'm wondering if the issue is really caused by shaving soap. If so, how does this work? Does the sodium laureth sulfate eat away at the hair that's down there like drain cleaner would? If so, I'm not sure I would want it on my face.

I've seen the black stuff when clearing other drains in the past but never to the point that it would create a clog. Not without a bunch of long hair mixed in with it that is. The combination of hair spray, cosmetics and long hair seems to be the problem at my house. I've encountered it with the sinks my teenage girls use as well. The only sink I don't have to unclog every so often is my own.

If it's just the soap scum itself I'd think that running some hot water after your shave would flush it right through.

Anyway, just my random thoughts to do with as you please. Good luck.

Point is my side never gets clogged, not ever, and I've used all kinds of shaving soap without sodium laureth sulfate. What I'm getting as it that I'm wondering if the issue is really caused by shaving soap. If so, how does this work? Does the sodium laureth sulfate eat away at the hair that's down there like drain cleaner would? I

I've seen the black stuff when clearing other drains in the past but never to the point that it would create a clog. Not without a bunch of long hair mixed in with it that is. The combination of hair spray, cosmetics and long hair seems to be the problem at my house. I've encountered it with the sinks my teenage girls use as well. The only sink I don't have to unclog every so often is my own.

If it's just the soap scum itself I'd think that running some hot water after your shave would flush it right through.
Good luck.

The SLS is suppose to prevent the soap scum from sticking to the pipes in the first place. Believe it or not I don't get a lot of hairs in the sink drain when I clean it. Although my wife does seem to shed a lot in the shower. Hairs are a problem there and I use the same tool you use. Works great.
I'm really not sure what the problem is. I didn't seem to have this problem of the pipes clogging until I started this hobby 7 years ago. I really hate to give up my favorite soaps like Mystic Water or La Toja.
I'm going to try just using soaps with SLS for now and see what happens. I am also going to run hot water for about 30 seconds after each shave and see if that helps.

The SLS is suppose to prevent the soap scum from sticking to the pipes in the first place. Believe it or not I don't get a lot of hairs in the sink drain when I clean it. Although my wife does seem to shed a lot in the shower. Hairs are a problem there and I use the same tool you use. Works great.
I'm really not sure what the problem is. I didn't seem to have this problem of the pipes clogging until I started this hobby 7 years ago. I really hate to give up my favorite soaps like Mystic Water or La Toja.
I'm going to try just using soaps with SLS for now and see what happens. I am also going to run hot water for about 30 seconds after each shave and see if that helps.

Wondering if you took the p-trap off and cleaned it out well with a snake plenty far down the pipe, maybe it wouldn't be an issue anymore. I don't know how old your home is but maybe several years of buildup have accumulated. Just a thought and a total guess, I'm reaching here.

Wondering if you took the p-trap off and cleaned it out well with a snake plenty far down the pipe, maybe it wouldn't be an issue anymore. I don't know how old your home is but maybe several years of buildup have accumulated. Just a thought and a total guess, I'm reaching here.

I have run a snake thru it several times. In fact it was done just this pass February. That's why I was really shocked to see it blocking up this soon. It usually takes about 2 years to clog up. I don't know what to think.

Try Van Der Hagen or Col. Conk for a while and see if it makes any difference.

One of the soaps I'm now using is Van Der Hagen Luxury. It contains SLS.

It's a very clean rinsing shave product and also has good residual slickness.

Sometimes with traditional soaps I get a chalky feeling on my face when I'm rinsing it off. Some people think of it as "squeaky clean", but it's actually soap scum. Real soft water is slick when you wipe it off. That's one way to tell if the shave product you are using is going to make alot of scum or not.

It's a very clean rinsing shave product and also has good residual slickness.

Sometimes with traditional soaps I get a chalky feeling on my face when I'm rinsing it off. Some people think of it as "squeaky clean", but it's actually soap scum. Real soft water is slick when you wipe it off. That's one way to tell if the shave product you are using is going to make alot of scum or not.

Right now I'm only using VDH, Nivea stick, and Pereira's soap.

Top Bottom