What's new

Help me find a vintage aggressive razor

Please recommend me a vintage aggressive razor that comes close to the Mühle R41 beast. My only requirement is that it should be easy to find at a non-nonsense price.

I have three of these. I don't own or have used a Mühle R41 but I KNOW these will be somewhat more unforgiving:

proxy.php

:laugh:

:lol:

Nothing comes close to the R41 ...

You can try a double shimmed Old Type, that'll probably be your best bet.
I don't know if it's just me, but I find the Gillette New Improved to be more aggressive than my thin-cap Old Type using an equal number of shims (0, 1 or 2). The New Improved is also much more harsh than my Old Type or my R41 (2011), which is smooth as butter.

Although I haven't shaved with one yet, I've seen many reports that a GEM Micromatic Open Comb is very aggressive as well. It's an SE, not a DE, but it's dirt cheap and super easy to find, often for $10-$15. I just got one, and have a GEM 1912 on the way, but no blades yet:-(

I don't know if it's just me, but I find the Gillette New Improved to be more aggressive than my thin-cap Old Type using an equal number of shims (0, 1 or 2). The New Improved is also much more harsh than my Old Type or my R41 (2011), which is smooth as butter.

Although I haven't shaved with one yet, I've seen many reports that a GEM Micromatic Open Comb is very aggressive as well. It's an SE, not a DE, but it's dirt cheap and super easy to find, often for $10-$15. I just got one, and have a GEM 1912 on the way, but no blades yet:-(

It's one of those YMMV things, Rudy. :001_smile I don't find the New Improved particularly aggressive/efficient, especially compared to an Old Type. It's a very nice razor though, but I still prefer Old Types and NEWs.

You'll love the GEM 1912, I have an Ever Ready 1912 and love it, not very aggressive but gets the job done effortlessly. :thumbsup:

It's one of those YMMV things, Rudy. I don't find the New Improved particularly aggressive/efficient, especially compared to an Old Type
Thanks Edgar. I'm sure it's just me. Someone here once posted the best advice for a New Improved. He said just put it away and take it out again in a month or so. Repeat until magic happens. I really like the razor, and don't give up easily.

I hate to say it, but the R41 is in a class by itself. ATT H1 comes close in aggressiveness, but does not match it. LA Shaving BBS-1 offers a shave that is as close, but much smoother.

Unfortunately, the R41's only peer is... another R41. If someone could match it in stainless, they would sell dozens! :-D

I know the OP said vintage, but how about a RR/Cadet/Pearl OC or a Fatip OC? Non vintage but both are very reasonably priced and offer a high degree of aggression.
I have a shimmed Old Type in the current rotation. It is an aggressive shave but does not match the level of my R41.

Thanks Edgar. I'm sure it's just me.

No it isn't. I am a Single Ring tragic but my New Improved Big Boy is really something. I think a double shimmed Single Ring gets very close to the R41, but my single shimmed NI Big Boy was very aggressive and I've not yet had an opportunity to push it to it's full potential.

Cheers, George

I have some Micro Matic Open Combs(MMOC), and they are aggressive for a single edge. There are more aggressive single edge razors out there. The mmoc is harsh, and too light, for its aggression. There is a reason they are so cheap. If you want aggressive single edge, i prefer the Wilkinson Sword Empire Razor. This can be adjusted from medium to almost straight edge aggression, and it has some weight behind it.

Top Bottom