What's new

Help me find a new bag

I am currently using an Osprey messenger bag and while I like it. It is comfortable but the shape is weird which causes it to hold hints weird. Hard to explain. The base of the bag is narrower at the bottom than the top. It just doesn’t hold everything I need. It is time for a new bag. it won’t be an osprey bag. they No longer have their locals sale and I know I can ge5 something different for the same full price.

please help me find a new bag.

my requirement:
hold a 15 inch laptop and cord
15 inch digital pen display
2 large Moleskine Notebooks
kindle
12 inch watercolor pad
pens and pencils
beefy maxpedition pouch

prefer messenger style or day pack. I would like to avoid leather. I have not found them to be comfortable to carry.

help me out haberdashers. i don’t know where to begin.

What do you think of the mission bags? I love aesthetic but the price was such I’d want to see these in person ..people seem to love them

What do you think of the mission bags? I love aesthetic but the price was such I’d want to see these in person ..people seem to love them

not Keen on the roll top. But yeah. At those prices I want to hold one Before committing

Peak design has some great bags for hauling gear.
If I were in the market for a camera bag those look good. I did not see how they were everyday bags though. Unless I missed something.

anyone know anything about the Timbuk2 bags. I kind of like the colors And the sizes seem right.

I wear a Tumi Alpha Bravo Knox (daypack) every day. Almost three years now and it still looks new. Expensive but worth every penny.

nice pack. Out of my range though.
I did drop three bills on it. I had a very hard time with that. I had a Targus beforehand. Somehow, it crystalized in my mind that I wear my pack more often than my nicest coat or any of my clothing. I wear it every single day multiple times. My last Targus didn't last three years and it was looking nappier than the one before it. I'm not extra careful with my pack. Luckily, it doesn't show this time :) Oh, and lifetime warranty for zippers and tears.

anyone know anything about the Timbuk2 bags. I kind of like the colors And the sizes seem right.

I've got two Timbuk2 bags and I'm more than satisfied with them. One is I think close to 25 years old, the second is 18 years old. The second is smaller than you want--just large enough for a 13" laptop. It's my daily work bag and while it's now showing it's age, I expect to get a few more years out of it.

The old bag is huge, and is just used for travel. It'll last me the rest of my life.

I'm not familiar with the current lineup, but the smaller of these is reasonably comfortable on the bike and when walking distances. The large is too big to be comfortable anywhere. Hopefully new versions have the same quality build as mine. Good luck!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Certainly check out the offerings from Red Oxx ... quality stuff that lives up to its "made in USA" pricetag.

Was checking out the threads when I came across your request. This may be what you're looking for, who knows?

This is my second Tumi Alpha Expandable Ballistic Business Briefcase. I bought this as a backup to my last one that I traveled with all over, to executive board meetings, as my EDC. Its New! Has an included padded laptop cache, extra electronics gear pouch, many compartments, expandable for daily or overnight travel, can put your gym gear inside as well. The first one was a workhorse for me and it was in such great shape, I gave it to my nephew, a H.S. music teacher and session musician and it's still going strong for him, everyday and he loves it. I have it for FTF sale here in Denver and if you're interested, PM me and we can talk. The Tumi is a bag you will always be proud to carry.

20191022_180911.jpg

Price Range?

This is a real good question. I am quickly learning that quality bags are pricey so I am trying to figure out what the budget has to be. I could not justify more than 200 and prefer lower.

I've got two Timbuk2 bags and I'm more than satisfied with them. One is I think close to 25 years old, the second is 18 years old. The second is smaller than you want--just large enough for a 13" laptop. It's my daily work bag and while it's now showing it's age, I expect to get a few more years out of it.

The old bag is huge, and is just used for travel. It'll last me the rest of my life.

I'm not familiar with the current lineup, but the smaller of these is reasonably comfortable on the bike and when walking distances. The large is too big to be comfortable anywhere. Hopefully new versions have the same quality build as mine. Good luck!

I am honestly leaning toward a custom messenger bag

Red Oxx bags are great and they stand behind them 100%. Made in America by Veterans too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^I will attest to this^^

I've been a Red Oxx fan for years. I've got untold numbers of miles on my Air Boss carry on bag, and I have recently begun giving my nieces and nephews Red Oxx bags for graduation.

I would suggest the Red Oxx CC Rider bag for your needs:

Limited experience with Redoxx - well built good value IMO. Tumi lasts well - my everyday brief case is >10 yo, thousands of miles on it and still looks great and functions very well. Bags are like shoes, you get what you pay for.

Was checking out the threads when I came across your request. This may be what you're looking for, who knows?

This is my second Tumi Alpha Expandable Ballistic Business Briefcase. I bought this as a backup to my last one that I traveled with all over, to executive board meetings, as my EDC. Its New! Has an included padded laptop cache, extra electronics gear pouch, many compartments, expandable for daily or overnight travel, can put your gym gear inside as well. The first one was a workhorse for me and it was in such great shape, I gave it to my nephew, a H.S. music teacher and session musician and it's still going strong for him, everyday and he loves it. I have it for FTF sale here in Denver and if you're interested, PM me and we can talk. The Tumi is a bag you will always be proud to carry.

View attachment 1190194
You should jump on this!!!!!!!!!

got my daughter a Timbuk2 messenger back 10 years ago? I've read that their quality isn't what it was decades ago. not sure how to evaluate that, but the one I got my girl has stood up well.

love my RedOxx gear, but their pricing has gone up since the last time I bought. the misson gear looks ok, but I don't understand whey they don't have interior shots of the bags.

Last edited:

View attachment 1190194

Tumi has a great rep for quality and longevity, but having been in a store and touched a bunch of their products, I can't for the life of me justify their pricing beyond paying for a name. if I was a Senior VP that traveled, maybe it'd be worth buying as a status/power symbol.

Tumi has a great rep for quality and longevity, but having been in a store and touched a bunch of their products, I can't for the life of me justify their pricing beyond paying for a name. if I was a Senior VP that traveled, maybe it'd be worth buying as a status/power symbol.

FWIW... My selling price is almost one half of retail. 😉

Top Bottom