What's new

Help Me Choose Shampoo Bar-Need To Make A Choice

Good evening chaps. Well, the time has finally arrived. I need to make a decision as to which solid shampoo bar to purchase. I have been putting this off because A; I simply could not make up my mind as to which vendor to start with, and B; I had some great liquid shampoos made by one of our small vendors.* They are actually terrific and contained real essential oils like patchouli and orange, spruce, and lavender. They really did perform better than most commercial stuff and the scents are out of this world. But alas, these were semi custom creations and not regular products. And more importantly, are not made any more. So 'tis time to move on to the solid bars.

Now I will start with my hair type. It is a sandy blonde colour and though somewhat fine stranded I have a lot of it. Think Casper Van Dien in colour and texture. I mention him because my wife told me today I reminded her of him. Wonderful woman eh? Anyway, back to the soap. I tend toward dry scalp in winter and fairly normal in summer. I can get a lot of dry flakies in the winter time or any time I strip my hair with too astringent soap. I am unsure whether it really makes a difference as to which shampoo bar you get from the small craft makers. I would also like a bit of feedback from anyone who has used the Ligget shampoo bars. Thanks a lot.

Regards, Todd

I have been using a J.R. Liggett's (Herbal Formula) bar for the past month, and I'm very pleased. I have slightly oily hair, and it's been perfect for me. Very lightly scented, and produces a very nice lather. Leaves my hair squeaky clean and healthy looking. Shampoo and hair is a very, very individual thing, but I find the quality of Liggett's to be excellent and think it's worth a try for anybody who's interested.

I've used J.R. Liggett's shampoo bars for a couple years now, and I've converted my whole family to using them. I used to have a decent amount of dandruff (seems to run in my family), and problems with my hair switching off between feeling dry and feeling oily. I used Head & Shoulders for a long time with very little improvement. Since I started exclusively using their tea tree oil bar, I've had zero dandruff problems and my hair stays clean for longer, but it never feels coarse or dry, just clean, silky and healthy.

I'd definitely reccomend at least giving it a try if you have problems with dandruff. Hair health positives aside, I also like it because it's less messy for travel purposes, and it lasts much longer than a bottle of shampoo used to for me. They have a lot of different varieties, so check them out.

Hope this helps!

Recently got my wife on J.R. Liggett's shampoo bar and she has officially swore off all other shampoos and conditioners. But for dandruff I don't think it helps much. Btw, she has thin and kinda oily hair and it has never looked this full.

Liggett's worked pretty well for me, but tended to leave the scalp a bit too dry. I've had problems with dry scalp/seborrhea for years, and although Liggett bars were better than any commercial shampoo I had ever used, it was still sub-optimal.

I found the bar from B&B user eyebright (real name Michelle) at Mystic Water Soaps to be considerably nicer than Liggetts. Smells better, works better. Scalp problems almost completely solved! Check it out at her website (www.mysticwatersoaps.com). During the really dry months of the winter I've found massaging a few drops of jojoba oil into my scalp in the morning right before the shower also helps in controlling dryness. No problems at all with oiliness in the summer using her shampoo bar.

Oh, and she also sells a wonderful conditioning hair oil. Two drops is all it requires to make hair feel really soft and well conditioned. :thumbup1:

Thank you for the replies. I will probably order a number of bars from Liggett, Mystic Waters, and Chagrin Valley. Chagrin has trial sized versions which makes it easier and a bit more economical to experiment. As finicky as we all think we are with shave lathers, hair soap is one of the trickiest things to be satisfied with.

Regards, Todd

Check out RockyTopSoapShop on Etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RockyTopSoapShop?ga_search_query=rocky&ga_search_type=seller_usernames

proxy.php

Been using the coffee shampoo bar, and it works great. Has some other choices for shampoo bars as well; also has other soaps for many different uses, including for shaving. Nice people and made in Maine.

mo soap has a great Swedish pine tar shampoo bar that wipes out dander
you have to pour a little vinegar to adjust ph, its not for every day but works well

Okay, somebody tell me where to get Liggett's. I know, I know. Amazon, etc. Yet when I go there there are a tonne of choices and prices are all over the place. Shipping as well. I am not playing cheapskate I am just confused. I am more looking for someone reliable who is not trying to get 6-9 dollars shipping for one bar of soap.

Regards, Todd

Okay, somebody tell me where to get Liggett's. I know, I know. Amazon, etc. Yet when I go there there are a tonne of choices and prices are all over the place. Shipping as well. I am not playing cheapskate I am just confused. I am more looking for someone reliable who is not trying to get 6-9 dollars shipping for one bar of soap.

Regards, Todd

I got mine at vitacost.com: http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?x=0&y=0&ntk=products&ss=1&Ntt=liggett s.

I thought price and shipping were very reasonable.

iHerb.com has very reasonable shipping. They don't stock all varieties though. PM me, and I can send you a discount code if you are a first time customer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links lads.

Hello eyebright. Yeah, that is the weird thing. There were tonnes of vendors on Amazon who wanted just a few dollars for the bar of soap but a lot for the shipping. Then there were those who advertised the bars at reasonable costs but were still quite expensive for shipping. Then there was a third category of vendor who were basically selling the bars at higher price than Liggett's website but were offering "free" shipping. It was all over the place. I may just forgo Liggett's altogether unless I find it at a local granola kids store.

Most times I would rather deal with an artisan soap maker. The products are superior, service is almost always superior, and there is usually no mucking about with weird shipping options. Just straight up people who do a great job with their products and are interested in customers liking their wares first and foremost.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom