What's new

Help Me Choose: Semogue 1305 or 1800

I've been using a no-name boar brush for some years and it's time to replace it. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Semogue 1305 compared to the 1800?

Any help would be appreciated.

I depends on what you like.. do you face lather or bowl lather? Do you like scrubby brushes or soft ? Semogue 1305 is made of Premium 90% tops and it has very soft tips for a bristle brush, but not backbone. Semogue 1800 is made of Extra 75% tops mixed with Premium 90% tops, so it has soft tips, but also good backbone and it wont splay as much as the 1305 when you face lather. Also take in consideration that 1305 has a painted handle which might chip-out when you don't treat it with care or you drop it. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Love my 1305 - creates fantastic lather and nice mix of medium scrubbyness. The painted handle is iconic - just care for the brush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May I suggest neither.

Seems 620 (1520 in wood) is most well loved. Despite it's, uh er, lower grade knot it's more expensive by 8 bits or so than the 610 (1470 in wood) with a higher grade bristle. The 620 gets more love, Econ 101 kicks in.

I have a 610 instead of the 620, the fake badger stripe of the 620 seems unnecessary.

The 610 was my favorite brush until I tried a shavemac and a Simpson. Still use in rotation, still amazed I wasted money on badger.

Until tomorrow's shave anyway.

Thanks for your insight guys. I face lather and I find badger brushes simply too soft and floppy. I like a stiff brush and I'm happy enough with some "scrubbyness". It looks to me like either brush or indeed the 610 all have real merit. At this point I think I'm leaning a bit more toward the 1800 but from what you've told me, I don't think I can really go very wrong with any of these.

@Haiku the Semogue 1305 knot type is 100% exactly the same as the 830 knot, diameter size and loft height and the only thing is different is just the handle. The Semogue 1800 knot type is not the same as the 1305 as @takisg said above, however the 1800 and the 1305 knot size and loft height are exactly the same.

Thanks for your insight guys. I face lather and I find badger brushes simply too soft and floppy. I like a stiff brush and I'm happy enough with some "scrubbyness". It looks to me like either brush or indeed the 610 all have real merit. At this point I think I'm leaning a bit more toward the 1800 but from what you've told me, I don't think I can really go very wrong with any of these.

For face lathering, the 610/620 have the largest number of people singing their praises - by a wide margin.

For face lathering, many many people say the 1305 started off great - but ended up being too floppy once it fully broke in.

I personally have well broken in 1305, and find it to have backbone that is similar to my 2-band badger.

If you want a scrubby brush for face lathering, I'd recommend the 610. The dying process for the 620 weakens the bristles and makes it break in faster but slightly floppier in the long run.

From what I've read, the 1800 is a good compromise between the too-scrubby 610/620 and too-floppy 1305.

1800 is an excellent brush, and one of the few I've sold and thought of buying again.

The 1438 is a great brush for face lathering. I keep one at the beach house, and it never disappoint.

1800 is wood, and always looks nice. 1438 paint has started to peel off and looks less impressive.

Can't go wrong with either.

Top Bottom