What's new

Help me choose my next phone

Hello Everyone,
I must come clean. I use a Blackberry (BB) smartphone. A Z10 to be precise.
I am rather fond of how well it performs for me. Particularly, I've grown to appreciate its Hub and virtual keyboard.
However, my Z10 won't last forever. And it's been showing signs of its age: slow response, sometimes it stalls, etc.
I've been looking at getting another BB phone but, as you may know, the company is no longer in the business of making smartphones. The one I found was the DTEK50, which was released in mid 2016. And it is actually an Android phone, in a Blackberry packaging.
So, I thought I would ask this community for suggestions and recommendations.
What say you?
Would you have any recommendations?
I don't mind doing research on my own to evaluate phones, but I am really looking for your experience with your own phones. The users' point of view, if you will.
If you have one (or more) reason(s) why you prefer your phone (or the one you recommend), would you be willing to share?
Thank you kindly for reading this far.
I look forward to your responses.
Take care.

P.S.: I typically buy my phones outright, so I feel that Apple phones are out of contentions. Last I just checked, the price range for iPhone X was $1,319.00 to $1,529.00. A wee too steep for me

I have a Pixel XL and it's outstanding. By far the very best phone I've ever owned. They aren't a cheap phone though.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you want a big name phone with power and versatility at a reasonable price, get a used Note 3, unlocked, then root it. If u are in the US I suggest the Tmobile variant so u have the option of using tmo's oddball bands for data. Unlocking let's you use it on any GSM carrier by simply sticking the SIM in and sometimes manually entering the APN info. Great for travel. I love my four Note 3s! These are going cheap. Stick a 128GB SD in there for movies and music, get a nice 10ah external battery and an OTG cable and you have a nice pocket computer that can also make phone calls, instead of just a phone that can do a few amusing tricks. The OTG cable with this hardware enables you to easily connect USB peripherals such as hard drives.

If you want a big name phone with power and versatility at a reasonable price, get a used Note 3, unlocked, then root it. If u are in the US I suggest the Tmobile variant so u have the option of using tmo's oddball bands for data. Unlocking let's you use it on any GSM carrier by simply sticking the SIM in and sometimes manually entering the APN info. Great for travel. I love my four Note 3s! These are going cheap. Stick a 128GB SD in there for movies and music, get a nice 10ah external battery and an OTG cable and you have a nice pocket computer that can also make phone calls, instead of just a phone that can do a few amusing tricks. The OTG cable with this hardware enables you to easily connect USB peripherals such as hard drives.

Thank you @Slash McCoy

I have a Moto G5 Plus from Motorola. It's an unlocked phone, so it should work with almost any carrier. Has 64 GB of memory and runs an almost pure version of Android Nougat. I absolutely love it. Cost me about $300.

Why change unless it dies completely?

My phone (you asked) Galexy S8+

What I like?

screaming fast: octa-core cpu, piles of memory, takes a whopping large storage card.

Decent camera with stabilization and low light functionality.

Multiple types of security:
1) password (duh)
2) fingerprint.
3) bio-metric (face recognition).
4) Iris scan

Phone can be set to stay connected within 100 feet of a selected GPS location (multiple ones if you want) which means you don't get a log-on challenge when you are at home. BUT... You can do a lot of butt dialing when at home. It can also be linked to another device like a laptop or in my case a "Dick Tracy" watch (Gear S2 smart watch). So it does not challenge you to log on if your laptop is on or you have your smart watch on. This setting may be common on other phones but thought I'd mention it anyway as it is a cool feature.

Small enough to carry without a pull cart but large enough to see multiple screens

The biggest thing that impresses me, I'll list last.

I have my phone set so that the battery goes almost 4 DAYS before needing charged.

I've seen "smart phones" that have a hard time going a full day without a charge. This puppy when set correctly can go days. We spend Wednesday, and Thursday at Shenandoah National Park,. I charged my phone Tuesday night before we left and when we got back on Friday it still had 28% charge remaining (maybe enough for another day). AND NO.... I did not power it down once. Always on. AND YES.... I did surf the web. Made/received calls. Send/receive emails. Used compass, altitude, and hiking apps. Took photos AND text messaged just like I would should I have been at home.

It is also a fast charge phone. Under 2 hours from stone dead to full charge (without bursting into flames too....). Will also charge wirelessly (not plugged in but placed on a wireless charger)

I think they got it right with this one. You can set it as a screamer (eats power and drops it to a "must charge every day") or set it conservatively so that it is functional but lasts days.

There were more restrictive usage settings but I felt that the usability of the phone suffered going max battery life.

Well.... you asked so there you have it.

Last edited:
I have a Moto G5 Plus from Motorola. It's an unlocked phone, so it should work with almost any carrier. Has 64 GB of memory and runs an almost pure version of Android Nougat. I absolutely love it. Cost me about $300.

Thank you @MrSpeedy ,one more for me to look into.
By the way, is that Aeon Flux in your avatar?

Why change unless it dies completely?

My phone (you asked) Galexy S8+

What I like?

screaming fast: octa-core cpu, piles of memory, takes a whopping large storage card.

Decent camera with stabilization and low light functionality.

Multiple types of security:
1) password (duh)
2) fingerprint.
3) bio-metric (face recognition).
4) Iris scan

Phone can be set to stay connected within 100 feet of a selected GPS location (multiple ones if you want) which means you don't get a log-on challenge when you are at home. BUT... You can do a lot of butt dialing when at home. It can also be linked to another device like a laptop or in my case a "Dick Tracy" watch (Gear S2 smart watch). So it does not challenge you to log on if your laptop is on or you have your smart watch on. This setting may be common on other phones but thought I'd mention it anyway as it is a cool feature.

Small enough to carry without a pull cart but large enough to see multiple screens

The biggest thing that impresses me, I'll list last.

I have my phone set so that the battery goes almost 4 DAYS before needing charged.

I've seen "smart phones" that have a hard time going a full day without a charge. This puppy when set correctly can go days. We spend Wednesday, and Thursday at Shenandoah National Park,. I charged my phone Tuesday night before we left and when we got back on Friday it still had 28% charge remaining (maybe enough for another day). AND NO.... I did not power it down once. Always on. AND YES.... I did surf the web. Made/received calls. Send/receive emails. Used compass, altitude, and hiking apps. Took photos AND text messaged just like I would should I have been at home.

It is also a fast charge phone. Under 2 hours from stone dead to full charge (without bursting into flames too....). Will also charge wirelessly (not plugged in but placed on a wireless charger)

I think they got it right with this one. You can set it as a screamer (eats power and drops it to a "must charge every day") or set it conservatively so that it is functional but lasts days.

There were more restrictive usage settings but I felt that the usability of the phone suffered going max battery life.

Well.... you asked so there you have it.

Thank you @turtle .
I really appreciate that you took the time to provide such a thorough response.
That battery life...just awesome!
Another one to add to my list.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No iPhone? Wish I could help. I’ve only had iPhone since the very first one. I didn’t even know they made other phones. :001_tongu

This is a classic. What makes it great is that you use it as a phone. No pics, texts, etc. Plus, it's big enough that you will never misplace it.

proxy.php

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'm seriously considering the LG V30, due out very soon. My G3 is getting just a little old.

I truly want to get away from smart phones; I feel they will prove to be our downfall.

I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to get away though. Just get that new $1,000 Apple X. It's gotta be worth it.

No iPhone? Wish I could help. I’ve only had iPhone since the very first one. I didn’t even know they made other phones. :001_tongu

I know, I know. iPhones are apparently good products, but they cost too much for my pockets, and I find them to be too closed off to play around with.
I appreciate the help, though, @Toothpick . :)

Last edited:
This is a classic. What makes it great is that you use it as a phone. No pics, texts, etc. Plus, it's big enough that you will never misplace it.

proxy.php

I think the A-Team used the same phone. If it's good enough for B.A. Baracus...
And I can use it for resistance training too. :a20:
Thank you for that @ackvil , it put a smile on my face.

Top Bottom