What's new

Help me choose a shaveing cream from Taylors

I am looking to purchase a cream from Taylors. The reviews are all favorable, and they certainly are affordable. If you could choose only one which would you choose and why?

I am limiting myself to one because I certainly do not need another cream and I am also going to be ordering some blades and aftershave.

Currently I am leaning toward the avocado. I am also considering the almond and the lemon-lime.

I would do the almond. The avocado was reformulated and smells of citronella according to Scotto. The lemon-lime would be mostly a warm weather kind of cream I feel, so that leaves the almond. It doesn't hurt that I really love the almond stuff either... :biggrin:

Dennis

I like the avocado. But I have only 2 shave creams Taylors avocado and Proraso :blush: Though I have read good stuff about the rose and almond seem seems to be a nice also.

At the risk of sounding pushy, is there anything in particular you are looking for? Fragrance in floral or cologne? Extra sensitive skin?

Well the Avocado gets the nod for shave quality (I have the old form. so can't comment on the new scent but understand shave quality is still excellent)...it just seems a bit better then the others. But the others still work very well...and with scents like the Lavender...Mr. Taylor...St. James...Eton College...you can't go wrong.

Maybe you should order a six pack sampler from Scotto...so if you were to only pick just one you could at least try it out first. But then again you will probably end up ordering the others eventually...

guenron said:
At the risk of sounding pushy, is there anything in particular you are looking for? Fragrance in floral or cologne? Extra sensitive skin?

My skin is sensitive, but no moreso than anyone else. I really do not care much for rose scented creams, I do not mind violet but it is definitely not my favorite. I do not like strong cologne scents. I would say that I want a light scnet, but not so light that I can't smell it when I am using it.

The reason I am leaning toward the avocado is how the reviews say it is very lubricating and does not dry out the skin. I really do not like to use balms so I though this would be good to use with a splash. I am just unsure of the scent. Is it very strong or floral?

The new formulation, is every bit as good as the old, in terms of lubrication, moisturizing properties, and efficacy. In fact, it may even be a bit better. The scent though...grrr... It's nice...a more floral scent now, but not what the old was like. I still use it and enjoy it, but I miss the old smell.

The Avocado yields a great shave. The scent isn't one to get very passionate about; I doubt you would love it or hate it. St James, on the other hand, smells great IMO.

John

I like the Avocado.

The Rose is very nice as well.

I'd try the Avocado since none of the other brands really have anything quite like it.

-joedy

Jim Thompson said:
My skin is sensitive, but no moreso than anyone else. I really do not care much for rose scented creams, I do not mind violet but it is definitely not my favorite. I do not like strong cologne scents. I would say that I want a light scnet, but not so light that I can't smell it when I am using it.

The reason I am leaning toward the avocado is how the reviews say it is very lubricating and does not dry out the skin. I really do not like to use balms so I though this would be good to use with a splash. I am just unsure of the scent. Is it very strong or floral?
Jim,
While that really does limit your selection somewhat, I would stand by the suggestion to get several of Scotto's Large Economy Size Samples. Get an AH vocado, a LA vender, Lemon-lime, and (just to test, mind you) either Mr. Tayor or Shave Shop. It really covers the spectrum and gives you an opportunity to get the feel of each. Whatever you decide, enjoy and do not be afraid to use water with the cream!:lol:

guenron said:
Jim,
While that really does limit your selection somewhat, I would stand by the suggestion to get several of Scotto's Large Economy Size Samples. Get an AH vocado, a LA vender, Lemon-lime, and (just to test, mind you) either Mr. Tayor or Shave Shop. It really covers the spectrum and gives you an opportunity to get the feel of each. Whatever you decide, enjoy and do not be afraid to use water with the cream!:lol:

Water WITH the shaving cream, so that's where I've been going wrong. It suddenly makes a lot more sense now:lol:

I'm a "when in Rome" kind of guy, so if you're going to get a Taylor's cream, I'd get avocado--nobody else does it better. Hey, that reminds me of a song. . .:tongue:

I recently bought St James from QED and I love it alot ! I think its easy to lather and the lather stays a while plus it smells great.

Thats the only Taylors I have used so far.

Jim,

I really think you should get two....

Well, you should get the Scotto sampler, with several. But short of that, you should get two. If you don't like florals so much, avocado is an obvious choice. I love the stuff, not having ever tried the old formulation. I think it is worth trying a cologne at the same time though. I find that my Eton College might as well be a totally different brand. The only thing they have in common is that they are both GREAT shaves. I know you said you don't like strong cologne scents. I can't speak for the other flavors, but Eton College is a very mild, citrusy scent. Not overpowering at all.

Jim,

Just randomly pick one, eventually you will buy every available scent, so it makes no real difference which one you buy now!:biggrin:

Chris

Top Bottom