What's new

Help me choose a Robert Becker scuttle

I'm thinking about getting a Robert Becker scuttle. I know the small little one is going to be too narrow, so I'll probably go with a medium-sized one. What I don't know much about is the shape of the sides or the pattern on the inside. What are the advantages and disadvantages of vertical or more rounded edges? Does the interior pattern matter all that much? Any other things or options I should consider?

Robert did a custom glazed large size (size 001) with lid for me and I am thrilled with it.

I have big hands and prefer a large handled, large knot, brush so the largest size was a perfect fit. I don't think there is any advantage/disadvantage to the pattern in the scuttle as long as there is something in there to break up the solid smooth surface.

Pick out a glaze color that you like as that is what you will be seeing most often (the color).

You won't be disappointed.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about getting a Robert Becker scuttle. I know the small little one is going to be too narrow, so I'll probably go with a medium-sized one. What I don't know much about is the shape of the sides or the pattern on the inside. What are the advantages and disadvantages of vertical or more rounded edges? Does the interior pattern matter all that much? Any other things or options I should consider?

Are you considering the model 005?

I have the small. I choose it to use exclusively as a brush scuttle, which it does very well. I think the small size lessens heat loss as it encloses the brush. All my brushes are a tight fit. The glaze is Cactus Sand.

Attachments

• $sm cactus sand scuttle 2.jpg
    $sm cactus sand scuttle 2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 174
I have model 005 in cactus sand. Its a great scuttle. The lathering bowl part is a little small. I have a Simpsons Berkeley 20mm, small brush but the bowl is almost a little too small to lather in for me. So if you have a bigger brush you might want a bigger model.

I had Robert to make 2 ex-large brush holders for my larger brushes.Only one is pictured.I have 6 holders total. I have a Kent bk12 hanging on 1 there, but I also have a 28mm custom handle and 24mm finest custom handle thats larger than the average size brush. I matched that with the shave caddy combo and medium bowl w/stopper. SWMBO ok'ed the Black color:sad:
I'm thinking of getting the small size in a catus sand, it's close match of all the brushes. I've been told that's an alternate horn color.

Attachments

• $P1000789.JPG
    $P1000789.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 159
I got the medium in cosmic blue it is plenty big enough to whip up enough lather for 4 passes if you need that much and has excellent heat retention.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The pictures help a lot. Not only does it give perspective, but I never could choose colors based on those small samples they offer.

Another question is to get a lid or not. Do you use it to cover the lather while shaving to keep it even warmer? What about the brush-soaking reservoir? Do you soak the brush in there between passes, or is that just used for soaking it before shaving?

I'm assuming he's in the US. What state is he in?

Last edited:
Okay, folks, my quest has ended. I think I'll get 005 in Expresso [sic] Brown. Thanks for all your comments.

Top Bottom