What's new

Help me choose a new Bay Rum

Remember when it comes to bay rum, there are two variations.
The V.I. bay rum is a cinnamon heavy, ‘cowboy’ bay rum. There are also plain bay rums
usually referred to as ‘island’, ‘ tropical’, or ‘Caribbean’. These ‘plain’ bay rums work better
in the summer, in warm weather, whereas the ‘clovey’ bay rums work better in the winter.
Also, check the ingredients for glycerin or glycol, which work better when it’s dry.
Summertime in high humidity- Dominica, West Indies, Superior 70, Gabels bay rum.
Summertime low humidity- Master bay rum (contains glycerin)
Wintertime high humidity- V.I. bay rum
Wintertime low humidity- Captain’s Choice
And if you’re sick like me:
Summertime normal humidity- layrite #9
Wintertime normal humidity- Col. Conk’s
The right bay rum for the situation.

I've tried samples of the PAA Atomic Age and the PAA Clasico. I feel they are close though. I also have a mix of Bootlegger's Bay Rum which is excellent. Those are my top 3 out of what I have tried. All these have legs.

I've also tried a sample of Lucky Tiger Bay Rum. It didn't come across as Bay Rum to me but I still liked it. I also have tried Gabel's Bay Rum. Gabel's smells good for about 30 seconds.

I usually don't mention my favorite bay rum aftershave, as it's no longer available. I used it again this morning for the first time in months (gotta ration the stuff) and was again astounded at its scent, performance and longevity. I can still smell it, about 11 hours later. I wish Chatillon Lux Blackberry Blossom Bay would become available again, but I don't think it will happen...

If you can get your mitts on some, either do it or let me know how I can take it off someone's hands!

P.S. If you buy it and don't like it, I'll buy it from you. Seriously.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Just got two new Bay Rum aftershaves...Krampert's Finest and Taconic. Taconic smells very different, spicy with an underlying bubble gummy sweetness. It has menthol in it which I'm not a big fan of, but that scent also comes through blending with the spiciness.

Krampert's seems a bit...unremarkable. Definitely Bay Rum in it and plenty of it... but to my nose...it seems plain. I've read so many good reviews on it that I'm somewhat disappointed. My hope is that, when worn, it comes alive.

Will be giving Taconic a try first though as it seems to have more going for it. The reason I bought it was because I was impressed with the scent of their shave soap. I had their pump product which I went through fairly quick and I decided to give their soap in a jar a try. I like it.

so I used my new bottle of captains choice today "cat o nine tails" and while it burned, it felt pretty much in line with most aftershaves, just burned a bit longer. The smell is a little confusing to me to be honest, I was expecting something sweeter and or more bay rum to it with just a longer harder better burn, as that is what it's described as. It's dark though, really dark, really strong, and has a burned like smell to it, that at first I have to be honest was less then desirable. However after wearing it for a few hours, I don't mind it, it's got a good manly smell to it, spicy deep and really dark. I'm certainly going to use it up and burn through it.

It's a different type and or take on bay rum that's for sure.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I usually don't mention my favorite bay rum aftershave, as it's no longer available. I used it again this morning for the first time in months (gotta ration the stuff) and was again astounded at its scent, performance and longevity. I can still smell it, about 11 hours later. I wish Chatillon Lux Blackberry Blossom Bay would become available again, but I don't think it will happen...

If you can get your mitts on some, either do it or let me know how I can take it off someone's hands!

P.S. If you buy it and don't like it, I'll buy it from you. Seriously.

Blackberry, Blossom and Bay Rum? Sounds very interesting. Can you read me it's ingredients list? Also, can you give me a detailed description of it's scent? I would like to have the description of the scent when you first splash it on; and then the scent description after the dry down if the two are different to you.

Thanks! :)

-Rob

OkieStubble

Could I be witnessing the inception of a new Bootlegger's? ;)

Yeah; uhm, I dunno. Been doing some google fu and found out that Chatillon Lux Blackberry Blossom Bay, is an Artisan aftershave that was originally created and marketed for the DFS community. While all my Bootlegger's creations are made from already marketed cheap drugstore aftershaves.

I don't think I would try to create a copy of this, as the many essential oils used in some Artisan creations can be really strong and some strong oils, can be somewhat irritating to some users skin. I'm not going to find a cheap drugstore AS in Blackberry Blossom.

But many of the other notes in it, I can definitely duplicate. Then it would be just an easy, simple fix of adding a bit of only one essential oil which would be the Blackberry Blossom, or wax myrtle/bayberry. (Myrica cerifera)

This doesn't mean I could get an exact match as far as the top, middle and base notes are concerned, But a similar scent? Possibly. The soft vanilla, very light cinnamon bay rum base, sandalwood and sweet citrus?

I can do that, but would it be the same vanilla? The same exact sandalwood? There are many different shades and tones of sandalwood.

So, I can't make an exact copy, but with a bit of experimentation? A similar version could be possible. :)

Last edited:
so I used my new bottle of captains choice today "cat o nine tails" and while it burned, it felt pretty much in line with most aftershaves, just burned a bit longer. The smell is a little confusing to me to be honest, I was expecting something sweeter and or more bay rum to it with just a longer harder better burn, as that is what it's described as. It's dark though, really dark, really strong, and has a burned like smell to it, that at first I have to be honest was less then desirable. However after wearing it for a few hours, I don't mind it, it's got a good manly smell to it, spicy deep and really dark. I'm certainly going to use it up and burn through it.

It's a different type and or take on bay rum that's for sure.

I thought you got the Atomic Age?

I thought you got the Atomic Age?

No I have had Atomic Age Bay Rum and also Booms Town Bay Rum from PAA, I wanted to try something else, this one is slowly growing on me, like I said it's not a bay rum as we know it, it's just deep and burning and masculine. I don't mind it, and it's not bad at all, so I'm not knocking it, it's just not the bay rum style and or variant in my opinion that we have all grown to love and enjoy and like.

Blackberry, Blossom and Bay Rum? Sounds very interesting. Can you read me it's ingredients list? Also, can you give me a detailed description of it's scent? I would like to have the description of the scent when you first splash it on; and then the scent description after the dry down if the two are different to you.

Thanks! :)

-Rob

Rob, I don’t have the ingredients list, as it’s not printed on the bottle and the scent has been discontinued. I’m sure Shawn at Chatillon Lux would be happy to help…

Declaration Grooming is now the exclusive maker of aftershaves with Chatillon Lux scents. Shawn at CL apparently sourced some bay he found similar to that found in Blackberry Blossom Bay, and Scott at Declaration Grooming has created “B Cubed” (get it?) aftershave. I find the two very similar.

By the way, “Blackberry Blossom” is an old bluegrass tune and, as I understand it, has nothing to do with the aftershave’s ingredients.

I’m horrible at describing scents; sorry I can’t help there. Shawn or Scott can help. Good luck!

OkieStubble

Rob, I don’t have the ingredients list, as it’s not printed on the bottle and the scent has been discontinued. I’m sure Shawn at Chatillon Lux would be happy to help…

Declaration Grooming is now the exclusive maker of aftershaves with Chatillon Lux scents. Shawn at CL apparently sourced some bay he found similar to that found in Blackberry Blossom Bay, and Scott at Declaration Grooming has created “B Cubed” (get it?) aftershave. I find the two very similar.

By the way, “Blackberry Blossom” is an old bluegrass tune and, as I understand it, has nothing to do with the aftershave’s ingredients.

Thanks for the heads up@pbrmhl. tha blackberry blossom is just the name and not part of it’s ingredients list.

If someone else is taking over production with a similar bay rum, I guess if it ain’t broken, there’s no reason to try and fix it. Oh well. :)

Blackberry Blossom and Bay Rum does sound like it would smell great together though.

Top Bottom