What's new

Help me build my Timeless

So I have gotten the all clear from the boss and she okayed me to purchase a Timeless. So in the next few days the purchase will be made but I have a some questions I am hoping the guys that have used or own one can answer:

First I shave daily, my favorite razors that I tend to rotate are the Muhle R41(aggressive), Colonial General (mild), Feather SS (aggressive)

How big of a difference comfort wise is there between the .95 and .68? Am I going to get great shaves from either? I keep going back and forth on this.

I don't really want Open Comb I own a couple and am just not really a big fan, the closest to open comb that I enjoy is my R41. So What the biggest difference between the Straight bar and the scalloped. Would a scalloped .68 be more aggressive than a SB .68?

When it comes to Handles I have it narrowed down to the H2 Pineapple or the H5 Dimpled. Anyone have pics of these either separate or side by side they could send me with more detail. Or if you have used both can you give me some info on the differences between them and why you might prefer one over the other?

You could have included this in the other thread as I have no problem with that at all. Sometimes it's easier to have everything in one place.

To answer your questions:
1. How big of a difference comfort wise is there between the .95 and .68? - There is a large difference between the two razors as the .95 is a fairly aggressive razor and the .68 is about as smooth and comfortable of a razor as I've ever shaved with. Figure the .95 is somewhere around as aggressive as the R series ATT plates. It does require some attention when shaving. Still a very comfortable razor to shave with. In comparison the .68 razor is the most comfortable razor I've ever shaved with. It's incredibly smooth while still being efficient. I used to use really aggressive razors every day but now I'm using the .68 as I'm really enjoying the comfort of it. I'm getting nice close shaves from it as well, so I don't feel like I'm sacrificing a great shave for a comfortable shave.

2. What the biggest difference between the Straight bar and the scalloped. - With these two the differences are subtle. In the .68 version the SB is a little smoother for me while the scalloped is still incredibly smooth but it gives a little more feedback as you're cutting. So you're trading a little smoothness for a little more feedback if you choose the scalloped version. I could buy either one of these and be extremely happy using it every day. Both are exceptional, so I'd choose the one that appeals to you. They are so similar that you likely wouldn't benefit much from owning both versions. I use the .68 SB as my daily razor as that's my preference.

3. Handles - as far as the handles go I have a pineapple handle and the barberpole handle (that one is in the kit). I've been using the pineapple handle for a while now but I think I actually slightly prefer the barberpole handle myself. It's just how it feels in your hand as the weight is similar (or at least it feels similar). When I switch from the pineapple to the barberpole it just felt better to me. I've since switched back to the pineapple handle and I'm used to that one again. So now I'm enjoying the pineapple handle again. From a visual standpoint both handles are beautiful. The main thing with these razors is that the head is very heavy, so you just need a heavier handle to get the right balance. The Timeless handles are great and they're actually pretty reasonably priced at around the fifty dollar mark. I've paired it with a heavier but slightly shorter Wolfman handle and that felt great as well. I'd recommend that you choose a the handle that's most appealing to you visually as I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. You can look through the pics in the other thread to see the handles.

4. Cap - you didn't ask about the ridged cap vs the smooth cap. To me the difference between them is just visual and not performance based. After using both I don't see any benefit to one over the other. If there is a difference it is very subtle so I'd choose the one that is more visually appealing to you. I like the smooth cap as I prefer a simplier look to the razor but some others heavily favor the look of the ridged cap.

In comparison the .68 razor is the most comfortable razor I've ever shaved with. It's incredibly smooth while still being efficient. I used to use really aggressive razors every day but now I'm using the .68 as I'm really enjoying the comfort of it. I'm getting nice close shaves from it as well, so I don't feel like I'm sacrificing a great shave for a comfortable shave.

See this is what I was thinking. I enjoy my R41 but here I am leaning towards the .68 just because I could probably pair it with any blade and get a fantastic shave it sounds like. The .68 is what I am leaning towards.

for me while the scalloped is still incredibly smooth but it gives a little more feedback as you're cutting.

I like the feedback from razors, and if I could get that from the milder setting of the .68 I think I will lean towards this one

3. Handles - as far as the handles go I have a pineapple handle and the barberpole handle (that one is in the kit). I've been using the pineapple handle for a while now but I think I actually slightly prefer the barberpole handle myself. It's just how it feels in your hand as the weight is similar (or at least it feels similar). When I switch from the pineapple to the barberpole it just felt better to me. I've since switched back to the pineapple handle and I'm used to that one again. So now I'm enjoying the pineapple handle again. From a visual standpoint both handles are beautiful. The main thing with these razors is that the head is very heavy, so you just need a heavier handle to get the right balance. The Timeless handles are great and they're actually pretty reasonably priced at around the fifty dollar mark. I've paired it with a heavier but slightly shorter Wolfman handle and that felt great as well. I'd recommend that you choose a the handle that's most appealing to you visually as I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. You can look through the pics in the other thread to see the handles.

Yea my problem is I like both the looks of the Dimpled and the Pineapple. But I guess down the road I could end up with both. I think the dimpled is a little bit shorter handle I am kind of leaning towards that one.

I like the smooth cap as I prefer a simplier look to the razor but some others heavily favor the look of the ridged cap.

My mind was already made up I like the look of the ridged cap.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Here is the best thing,if you don't like the 0.95 you can exchange it for the 68
You have 30 days

I own zero and have never used a Timeless but from the looks, that scalloped top cap excites me. Love the way pineapple handle looks but I'm more of a short handle type.

Yeah, my preference is toward the .68. After using some of the most aggressive razors made I found this to be a refreshing change. I pair this with a nice slick soap and it's perfection for me. I'm still getting really great shaves but without some of the discomfort involved with using a really aggressive razor. My technique is pretty good so I can shave with just about any razor but this one was so much more enjoyable for me. I was using the more aggressive razors because I enjoyed the result more so than the shave.

The other thing that's really nice is that this razor doesn't really care about what blade you put in it. I normally use Feather blades with most of my razors, and when I don't I can usually tell the difference as I seem to have a little harder time getting perfection in the trouble spots (mainly under my right jaw line). With this razor I've used Feather, Astra SP and Polsilver SI blades and I honestly I can't tell them apart. It's giving me great shaves every time and I'm using up some blades I've had put aside for a while.

I have the 0.68 scalloped baseplate, and it's about as smooth as any razor I've ever used. It does require me to use a 3-pass shave to get the level of closeness I want, and I really enjoy razors that I only need a 2-pass shave to achieve what I want in closeness. I'll probably end up picking up the 0.95 as well as I really enjoy the reduced irritation of a 2-pass shave. It's a beautiful razor that I'm certain you'll enjoy using regardless of what baseplate you choose. I find the barber pole handle to be beautiful but a bit longer than I typically am used to using. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Dear cvargo;

For me the handles are a purely aesthetic thing. Both are beautiful.

If you like the aggressive muhle i think you should get the .95. When mine comes up in the rotation i have full confidence that i am going to get a great shave. The thing is that the difference is not much and with the .95 you have more control of what is going on.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've now tried the .68 and the .95 and I prefer the .95 as the .95 can give me a better shave with only 2 passes, and I found it to be incredibly smooth.

But we are splitting hairs here as both plates gave a better shave then most razors I've used, and I would be thrilled using either as a daily driver.

Excellent. Just hadn't seen much discussion on the pros/cons of either finish so assumed maybe mostly asthetics or personal preference vs any real performance benefits or drawbacks.. Thanks.
BTW, if I were in your shoes right now, I would be having a tough time 'building' a Timeless as well. Lots of decisions - but like @Graydog mentioned there's that 30 day trial period... Subscribed!

I've never tried one, so I guess my opinion isn't worth much, but I'm a daily shaver so I would take the 0.68 with the SB baseplate.

I honestly only have the .68 SB version with smooth cap but it has ruined me. It is all I use and I buy other razors, try them once, and part ways. Smoothest and closest shave you can imagine with the Timeless. They have absolutely hit it with something in the head, no pun intended. It truly is great and I will buy the .95 sb baseplate just to try. I have heard it is two passes and done. I want to see.

I am happy you have the okay to order and no matter what you choose there is no way I can see it being a bad shave for you in anyway! I honestly would probably start out like I did and get the .68. If you need more they will exchange or just buy another base. The .68 is VERY nice though. I have put so many blades in it and they were all great except that Sputnik! Yuck! You will love what you get irregardless of your decision.

I have a scalloped SB with a smooth cap @ 68mm, and a OC with the grooved cap @ 95. On their FAQ Above the Tie has a gap comparison chart that equates a 95mm gap with a Fatboy on 7. So I shaved with my Fatboy on 7 and decided it was safe to get the 95mm Timeless. I would think if you liked the Muhle R-41 the 95mm gap would be fine. I also did the 'build your own' and went with the pineapple on the SB, and the barber pole on the OC. One is as good as the other, but if I could only have one it would be the pineapple. If I could only have one razor head (referring specifically to between these two) ....... probably the 68 scalloped SB.

I have both the .68 and .95 scalloped baseplates and could use either one daily. I generally use the .68 for daily shaves and the .95 for when I've skipped a day or two-- just so I can justify owning both. If I had to choose one it would be the .68. I've been using the new dimpled handle for about a week now and love the size and weight of it. The only issue I have with it is that it can be slippery when lather gets on it. The pineapple handle has more grip.

Well folks order placed! Most I have ever spent on a single item before. But like my wife said... I am using some of my bonus from work, and I deserve it. I have no regrets but I wish it was here already! I went with:

.68 scalloped cap and base I've really been enjoying my Colonial General and in my opinion it is more mild than the R41 but also more efficient in design I am hoping this is similar

Pineapple handle

I did the polished look.

Is it here yet?! Hope they ship quickly lol.

Thank you everyone for your help and recommendations.

Top Bottom