What's new

Help me build and improve my shave box

Recently I spend the princely sum of 10 euros at a local thrift shop on a wooden box, and here's what I got:

zgeZZPEERzmTTtUuTb8O2w.jpg

I intend to use it as a shave box (if that is the correct word) to store shaving related items.

Did not do anything yet to improve or alter it, and I thought I'd share a few quick pictures and see what ideas we can come up with.

In the top, a lot of shaving soaps fit:

7iRZDZaUQr6KWhRC+inHCA.jpg

It has two drawers as well:

Ixdtcd1NTRq12R1%EvCMdg.jpg

One for some more soap, and another for razors:

z74re9pJQOujGM1q0qAXRw.jpg

So in total it looks something like this:

ydNXgh5CTiyQtQ7gDJTtaA.jpg

hu1NfoF2ScmZ+JmEdG4frw.jpg

That's not a bad start, and I now have to decide what to do with it.

I am looking for suggestions about how to develop and improve this shave box.
Should I treat the wood with oil or paint? Or otherwise?
Does it need a lining (I think so, as it has none) and what woud be a suitable material for such a lining?
Any other ideas to make this box better or more useful?

Any help greatly appreciated!

That’s an awesome find! Personally i’d skip lining it and just put a varnish or sealant in there in case it gets wet. If that’s not a concern, something like felt would be really nice. As far as the wood, you could sand it and restain/revarnish it if you’d like a lighter or darker color. It’s generally not a ton of work (though it might take a bit since you have to work around all the hardware) and the results are great if you have a partictular stain in mind. Personally i’d avoid painting it. Not that it can’t be done but i think it would take away from the aesthetic.

That is a great looking box drawer unit at a good price. It just needs a furniture wax to keep its character. A rubber mat lining may be good for the razor drawer, similar to what they use for tool chest drawers. Just needs a base unit or legs to sit on.

Very nice just as-is, great score indeed and for a very good price :punk:

The outside to me is really perfect. If you are dead set on altering something you could add inner lining for the razor drawer - for inspiration below, lining built from cardboard, babywipes for padding and different patterns cloth. But I do think it is great just like you have done so far!

FE34B945-DCB3-4BDB-BE6C-F2BC67C08A23.jpeg

The outside finish looks good. Couldn’t see any scratches but they just add to the character anyway.
Some good paste wax like SC Johnson will protect it. Oil is not really good to put on wood raw wood from what I’ve read.
It looks like it’s made for shaving gear.

I’ve been using old cigar boxes from antique stores.

Very nice just as-is, great score indeed and for a very good price :punk:

The outside to me is really perfect. If you are dead set on altering something you could add inner lining for the razor drawer - for inspiration below, lining built from cardboard, babywipes for padding and different patterns cloth. But I do think it is great just like you have done so far!

View attachment 936590
That’s a fine-looking banjo in the background there. Can’t quite read the name on the headstock, though. What is it?

Beautiful box! Looks like its already in very nice condition so not much needed for restoration. Maybe replace the little inscribed plaque with something personal and shave related.

That’s a fine-looking banjo in the background there. Can’t quite read the name on the headstock, though. What is it?

Thanks, man. That is a Fender 5-string. My newest hobby and it is fuuuun. I first got a cheap banjo and almost gave up learning. Then I talked to a 76-year old guy who recommended me to get this one. And this thing is as easy to make sound good as a guitar. Perfect. I’m not really good though yet - but it is coming along, my 3 finger picking - Earl Scruggs here I come :001_302:

Two thin felt discs on the front lip where the lid comes down, incase it slips, and often makes the latching/locking feel "right".
Rubberized drawer liner mat like this:
WIN_20181220_00_26_15_Pro.jpg
Perhaps a stand or legs, depending on where it is going.

Thanks, man. That is a Fender 5-string. My newest hobby and it is fuuuun. I first got a cheap banjo and almost gave up learning. Then I talked to a 76-year old guy who recommended me to get this one. And this thing is as easy to make sound good as a guitar. Perfect. I’m not really good though yet - but it is coming along, my 3 finger picking - Earl Scruggs here I come :001_302:
I used to play guitar but went the claw hammer route a few years ago. I’m not really good yet either but in 100% agreement about the FUN part...banjo’s a blast!

Top Bottom