What's new

Help Me Build a Father's Day Kit..

So, my dad is open to the idea of improving his shave routine. Father's day is coming up, so I thought it would be a great reason to spend money on shaving supplies but not feel guilty. :001_smile

About him and his current shaving routine:
  • Early 60's
  • Admitted "lazy shaver"
  • Currently uses "off brand disposables and dollar store shave cream in a can"
  • Shaves at the gym most mornings
  • Does have weekend and evening engagements at events, nice restaurants, tastings (he's a fine wine salesman)
  • Used to use a brush, but lost it and ... just kind of stopped
  • Is generally cheap/resourceful, almost to a fault

So, given these parameters, I'd like to bounce a few ideas around with the fine folks here.

Razors:
I don't think he'll switch to DE out of lazyness and always running a little late. For both convenience and familiarity, I'm going to stick with disposables here and buy him BIC Metals. For $12, I can get him a year's worth. I'm open to other cart or disposable opinions here.

Brush:
I'm a little unsure about how much he will use a brush, so I'm thinking entry-level but usable for this item. It would be nice if it fits into a brush case for the gym. Either going for Tweezerman or an Omega boar. Thoughts? Also, any verification of which brushes fit in the Muehle travel case or suggestions on other travel cases welcome.

Lather:
I'm going for two different lather sources here. My main concern is ease of lathering. We live a few time zones away, so my insight or support might be a little tough. For the gym, I plan on melting a VdH deluxe puck into a twist-up container. For at home, and maybe "special" occasions like evening events, Proraso cream is my lean. Both the VdH and Prorarso can be bought locally by him.

Aftershave:
I'm not sure if I'll get him an aftershave. I don't know what his scent preferences are. Maybe witch hazel or alum?

Support:
I'll probably make him a Mantic-like video on prep and lathering with whatever I give him, as well as a few shaving pointers. Maybe face lather the stick, rinse it off, then face lather w/Proraso and shave with the BIC.

As always, I respect and appreciate the feedback given on this board. Fire away!

Gillette Guard (cheap on Ebay but 1 month wait time from India)..free shipping
or westcoashshaving.com has them

go for an Omega Boar..bigger than tweezerman and better bristles

after shave...Clubman LimeSec is nice

Soaps...garys shave shop has samples of what you think he may like

Gillette Guard (cheap on Ebay but 1 month wait time from India)..free shipping
or westcoashshaving.com has them

go for an Omega Boar..bigger than tweezerman and better bristles

after shave...Clubman LimeSec is nice

Soaps...garys shave shop has samples of what you think he may like
Thanks for the suggestions. I was leaning that way for the brush, I've never had a tweezerman.

For the brush, the best deal in the entire shaving kingdom, in my opinion, is the #6 horsehair from bestshave.net. For $2.45, the thing is incredible. Soft like badger yet stiff like boar. Lathers soaps and creams well. My only complaint is it tends to push the lather sideways to the edges of the brush. But then every brush does that to some extent.

Top Bottom