What's new

Help Maintaining Wooden Handled Brush

I recently purchased a Semogue Owner's Club in 2-band badger. I really like the brush (maybe even love it!) and would like to know how best to maintain it.

Obviously, I won't be submerging it in water when I soak the bristles (I partially fill up an empty yogurt cup with water for that purpose). But is there anything else I should do to help preserve the wood? I searched on the forum for tips on preserving a SOC's wooden handle but wasn't able to find anything really beyond keeping the handle out of water.

Also, will the wood become darker over time/use? As much as I like my SOC, I would like it even more if the handle were a bit darker. Still, I'd rather not try stripping it of any protective coating it may have in order to stain it darker. Not only am I lazy, but I have zero woodworking skills. I'm more likely to damage the handle beyond repair than I am to help it gain a darker tone.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

(If @Graydog wouldn't mind weighing in, I would very much appreciate any words of wisdom he might impart.)

Attachments

• C3284BE5-8BCF-49AD-8BBC-588D46D4FC19.jpeg
    C3284BE5-8BCF-49AD-8BBC-588D46D4FC19.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 14
Use fragrance free timber waxed polish to maintain your handle in great condition once month, always soak the badger knot about 5mm below the top handle while never submerged the top handle.

The handle is coated with lacquer at the factory. Don't soak it, of course, but don't worry about it getting it a little wet during shaving. Just wipe the handle off with a towel when putting it away.

There should be no harm in applying a mineral oil+beeswax finish with a cloth every so often. This is the same stuff sold for wooden salad bowls and cutting boards.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I recently purchased a Semogue Owner's Club in 2-band badger. I really like the brush (maybe even love it!) and would like to know how best to maintain it.

Obviously, I won't be submerging it in water when I soak the bristles (I partially fill up an empty yogurt cup with water for that purpose). But is there anything else I should do to help preserve the wood? I searched on the forum for tips on preserving a SOC's wooden handle but wasn't able to find anything really beyond keeping the handle out of water.

Also, will the wood become darker over time/use? As much as I like my SOC, I would like it even more if the handle were a bit darker. Still, I'd rather not try stripping it of any protective coating it may have in order to stain it darker. Not only am I lazy, but I have zero woodworking skills. I'm more likely to damage the handle beyond repair than I am to help it gain a darker tone.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

(If @Graydog wouldn't mind weighing in, I would very much appreciate any words of wisdom he might impart.)
First thing it looks like a beautiful brush 👍
The finish that they use is much different than what I use .
They way I look at a shaving brush is that it is was made to be used and it is going to get wet. I can tell you what I do,
I never let the wood soak in water and from what you said in your post you are on the right track 👍
When I am done using it I Rinse the entire handle off , soap can really ruin any finish. Flick off any water remaining Then I always dry the handle with a towel and let it air dry and never never put it in the direct sun aka a sunny window.
As for treating it with something, I would wait until it looks like the finish is wearing off. If it does .
Again, it's a beautiful brush and I hope it serves you well for many years to come 🙂

First thing it looks like a beautiful brush 👍
The finish that they use is much different than what I use .
They way I look at a shaving brush is that it is was made to be used and it is going to get wet. I can tell you what I do,
I never let the wood soak in water and from what you said in your post you are on the right track 👍
When I am done using it I Rinse the entire handle off , soap can really ruin any finish. Flick off any water remaining Then I always dry the handle with a towel and let it air dry and never never put it in the direct sun aka a sunny window.
As for treating it with something, I would wait until it looks like the finish is wearing off. If it does .
Again, it's a beautiful brush and I hope it serves you well for many years to come 🙂
Thanks! I'll follow that advice! I wasn't sure if I needed to do anything extra to protect the wood. I do like it a lot!

But if you don't mind my saying so, the brushes you make are much better looking. Your brushes pop and come to life, even in pictures. I can't imagine what they look like in real life!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I normally don’t use wooden handle brushes but I do have some. I finish up using the brush to brush out the sink with cold water after my shave to clean the sink. So all my handles do get somewhat wet during my shave all though I do only soak the bristles in an old ceramic salt container to start with. I now have some ideas on how to keep wooden handles in good condition. Good thread.

I treat my Omega--11126 and Gray Dog handles with Liquid Gold cabinet spray. I apply a small squirt to a clean paper towel and rub it into the handles. Each day, I soak the brushes knots in hot water, with a 1/4 teaspoon of the Ship Shape cleaning product.

Top Bottom