What's new

HELP! LOTH Wants to try a DE Razor

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So I'd love this to go as smoothly as possible right out of the gate. Most notably I don't ever want to any harm befall my lovely bride. But also I believe that DE razors are superior to carts and I'd like this to stick. Any women out there with words of advice they would be greatly appreciated.

Also, she wants to use one of my razors to begin with rather than purchase one for herself. Here are my thoughts on that selection.

Rockwell 6c- I am leaning towards this over any other. Different plates are great, particularly #s 1 and 2 to start off with and for those "dicier" areas. Good knurling on the handle and a good weight to help with zero pressure.

Merkur 23c- as so many have stated over and over, and I completely agree that the 34c is a great razor to begin with and could be a daily driver for many I figure the longer handle might be great for a ladies needs.

EJ de89/Muhle r89 - mild and user friendly.

Gamechanger .68 sb - A great razor that is mild and efficient, a great weight to it, the head is nice and slim, again great knurling.

So gentlemen if you have any input particularly from a shared experience I'd love to hear it. Ladies, any insight from personal experience would be immensely appreciated.

I have found a good article for her to read. I'll advise wtg single pass to start with. Maybe to go with canned foam, gel, or butter? She just uses regular bar soap atg. I don't think I can get her enthusiastic about a brush.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I suggest that you give her her first DE leg shave using your preferred razor, blade, soap and brush, explaining the what and why as you go along. If she likes that, then teach her the lady art of DE shaving.

After a few months, she might even start enquiring SR shaving 😁.

EJDE89 would be my suggestion of those you listed.

Another thought though. My wife thoroughly loves the GEM Featherweight.

I also like @rbscebu's idea of shaving her. Great introduction to proper technique and some quality pampering for her.

The Leaf razor is worthy of consideration. it has a pivoting head, so you don't have to worry much about angle and uses DE blades. You can put in one to three blade half.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Nice suggestions on the giving her a shave. Also, while I respect and am appreciative of your insight into other razor ideas, please limit your thoughts for the moment (I KNOW it is difficult) to the razors mentioned in my original post.

My wife and daughter started off with a Parker 29L. My wife then moved to a black beauty adjustable, and settled on a Lady Gillette. She enjoyed both Stirling and Captain's Choice shave soaps and uses a synthetic brush since she shaves her legs in the shower. She hasn't had any significant issues getting started and has use a DE for a couple of years now. I don't think I could convince her to give it up if I tried, but I will never try.

Edit: to me, the Rockwell makes a lot of sense. The EJ would be my second choice, as I believe it is similar to the Parker my wife stated with.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I bought my wife a Parker butterfly, pink handle, that she's been using...she picked it out. She uses Kiss my Face Lavender cream. She can use any of the blades I have.

She's more than welcome to wip up a lather with any of my soaps, but she chose the Kiss my Face product.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I was thinking of a Lady Gillette for the lovely wife. Something with a longer handle might be the go.

I was thinking of a Lady Gillette for the lovely wife. Something with a longer handle might be the go.

+1! That would also be my first choice!

Of the razors in your den, I would favor the EJ89 which is a great shaver IMO!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

My wife wanted to try it so we could get out from under the cost of her cartridges. She had a go with my merkur progress 510, the long handled version. I gave her a mid aggression blade, Parker, to start out with. She was quite content dialing that razor up to the 5/5 or even an 8/5 setting.

Since she stuck with it, I found her a lady Gillette, blue star. She loves having her own razor. It’s not as aggressive as she liked the merkur progress to be, but she worked her way up pretty quick to some seriously sharp blades. She like Feathers and Bic Crome Platinums. She hasn’t looked back.

my wife just won’t lather for herself and even given lather doesn’t really care to use it. Either too thin when applied or she doesn’t make enough. She’s quite happy with a bar of dove soap then going over the area with her razor.

Her best friend wanted to switch as well. We gifted her a TTO from the RAZOROCK beginners gift set. Haven’t heard any complaints about that through the grapevine.

Sounds like a great place to start. The Rockwell is very forgiving, especially on the lower plates.
Agreed. The 1 & 2 plate are great beginner plates. And the razor has a wide range of acceptable blade angle which makes it easier to get a good shave.

Top Bottom