Help ID'ing a Tech

Evening gents;

Here we go again. I need help getting something near a date on this Tech:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks B&B Sherlocks :thumbup1:

Peace

All Gillette blades of that era should have date codes on them. You can tell the age of an original razor in a set by checking the blade's date code.

nice score. the fat-handled tech is one of my favorites. indestructable, low-profile and very mild.

congrats, whatever the year...

All Gillette blades of that era should have date codes on them. You can tell the age of an original razor in a set by checking the blade's date code.

By the way, the blade date code is the exact same one as the razor date code but was in place prior to 1951. Just look for a letter and number.

Thanks for the info Guido.

But...

I don't want to open the blades. :cryin:

I don't think you can tell from the lousy pics I took but the plastic around the blade box is open, but the blade box itself has never been opened.

And I for one am not going to be the one to open the blade box.

So I guess the date on this one will remain a mystery.

Peace.

Nice!

You find that on the bay or in the 'Burgh?

(making sure car is gassed up) :cool:

This was a 'bay purchase.

It also came with a Gem Micromatic that I didn't picture, the lot for under $30.

And the seller says it is from the 1950's but I have no clue.

Peace

Wasn't there a post recently that dated Gillette Thin Blades by the variations of the packaging; color relationship, type font, etc.? Somehow I seem to recall such a post. This wouldn't get you to a specific date, but to a range of years each package variation was made.

Was it possibly a post by Achim in response to someones question?

Regards,
Tom

If there is no date code on the razor (under the paper) he must be between 1938-1950. Jeff, this is a very nice catch!

If there is no date code on the razor (under the paper) he must be between 1938-1950. Jeff, this is a very nice catch!

Thanks Achim.

I see that it does say 1938 on the blade box.

However I don't know if these blade boxes were used in newer Techs in the same case, etc.

I have a slightly rattier version of the same razor on the way if you can believe that. I was thinking I could check the blade box in that one, but it is coming with a box of Blue Blades.

Achim is right, it would be in the 1939-1950 range sans a date code. I think you can probably narrow it down a bit more to the 1939-1941 range since Gillette limited production to military issue Techs from 1942-1946 and moved to the ball tips after that to a greater extent.

Can you include a shot of the base plate? If it has the diamond shaped slots in the safety bars it is most likely and older one. The straight, curved end slts like these are the newer ones.

proxy.php

There appear to be diamonds in them thar hills Guido.

proxy.php

Thanks for the constant chin-rubbing on this one.

And as I said before, the blade box does say 1938. Do you think perhaps they would have used 1938-manufactured blades in newer razors? I was thinking perhaps they might, if they had an abundance of them around. I'm not so sure they were as concerned as we are with dates, or they would have had date codes all the time.

And are you feeling better yet my friend?

Last edited:
Can you include a shot of the base plate? If it has the diamond shaped slots in the safety bars it is most likely and older one. The straight, curved end slts like these are the newer ones.

that´s, what I don´t understand. :confused: Please have you a example picture for me, to understand the different?

There appear to be diamonds in them thar hills Guido.

proxy.php

Thanks for the constant chin-rubbing on this one.

And as I said before, the blade box does say 1938. Do you think perhaps they would have used 1938-manufactured blades in newer razors? I was thinking perhaps they might, if they had an abundance of them around. I'm not so sure they were as concerned as we are with dates, or they would have had date codes all the time.

And are you feeling better yet my friend?

I would say that you have the 1939-1941 era Tech. Those diamond shaped guard bar versions are more aggressive than the later Tech designs. If you choose to use it, instead of displaying it, I think you'll be pleased.

that´s, what I don´t understand. :confused: Please have you a example picture for me, to understand the different?

Achim;

As you can see in the base plates that Guido posted (other than the open-comb), the base plates have nice even slots in them.

The slots on mine are more of a diamond shape.

Compare the two slots in the guard bars of the Techs in my picture and the Tech Starfury just posted. Note how the slots are wider in the middle while mine are the same width throughout the whole length. You probably have both versions yourself to compare.

I would say that you have the 1939-1941 era Tech. Those diamond shaped guard bar versions are more aggressive than the later Tech designs. If you choose to use it, instead of displaying it, I think you'll be pleased.

Thanks Guido.

This one is definitely a display.

I have another one on the way with a rattier outer box. That one will be a user. If it is the same configuration as this one, I'll see how aggressive it is.

While I have several in the mail, I still have yet to shave with a Tech of any kind.

Top Bottom