What's new

Help Identifying What I have Here (newbie post)

1) I like the handle of that old boar brush, but personally I wouldn't use it in that condition. The boar knot has seen WAY better days. Good news is that you can get a synthetic knot for the brush pretty easily and pretty cheaply. There may even be guys on this forum that could remove the old boar knot and put a nice new synthetic knot in there for you.

2) I like the Old Spice mug; I have several of them. I don't use them, but you could. I have mine on display.

3) That soap within the mug is likely usable, but if it were my find, I would remove the soap and discard it, then clean out the mug.

4) The Tech is definitely not from the WW2 era. The vast majority of all Tech razors were made of nickel-plated brass; the faceted head on your model tells me that you happened upon an exception to the rule. Your travel Tech has a Zamak head. Not to worry; the Zamak they used in making the later Techs was of a pretty high quality, and the razor shaves just as well as the brass versions.

5) As others have mentioned, the handle of the razor is really short because it was intended to be easy to pack for travel. Aftermarket razor handles are everywhere, and they are "cheap as chips," as they say in Britain, so if you want a longer and/or heavier handle, you could easily get one. Try Italian Barber or Maggards or search for razor handles on ebay.

6) I wouldn't even remotely try any blades that are in the kit. Dispose of them safely. Easiest way, for me, is to buy a tin of Altoid Smalls, transfer the mints to a small ziplock bag, put the old blades in the Altoid Smalls tin. Keep the tin for your own used blades if you decide to take up DE shaving. Once it gets full or close to it, close it up tightly and put it into your recycling.

Top Bottom