What's new

Help Identifying What I have Here (newbie post)

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and want to learn more about the basic essential, get the job done shaving gear. My goal is a basic, no frills, tight budget shaving system. I would like some help figuring out what I have here please. This was a thrift store find for a few bucks. The paper card is still in the razor.

Attachments

• 5FD55A04-F677-48F1-8729-FF9FA4F9BAC7.jpeg
    5FD55A04-F677-48F1-8729-FF9FA4F9BAC7.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 69
  • 0F318FF8-EF82-400D-AB17-93746B99A6AF.jpeg
    0F318FF8-EF82-400D-AB17-93746B99A6AF.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 76
  • 65E27A85-7C47-45BD-8C76-2B6ED888FCA2.jpeg
    65E27A85-7C47-45BD-8C76-2B6ED888FCA2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • DAD3DE29-9BE4-4C67-B1E1-BE92B6CE5989.jpeg
    DAD3DE29-9BE4-4C67-B1E1-BE92B6CE5989.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
  • F0A51295-21DC-419E-AFED-8983705A4EF3.jpeg
    F0A51295-21DC-419E-AFED-8983705A4EF3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
The Every Ready looks to me like boar, clean it and try it and see how you like it.
The mug is nice but the puck doesn’t look like shaving soap - ditch the puck and replace it. There will be a ton of suggestions but I say Williams.
The razor pic doesn’t load for me but the thumbnail says Travel Tech to me. Excellent razor maybe the handle is too short for you but you can change that without spending a lot of money. Maybe someone here will send you a spare with proper length.
Enjoy your shaves :thumbsup:

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Definitely a Travel Tech, some of us would kill for that Old Spice mug. I don't know that I would use those blades packed in the case with the razor. As for the brush and soap I have no input.

Good luck!

The EverReady brush is most likely boar bristles that have been stained to resemble badger. The OS mug is a classic!! Congratulations!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Can you help me figure out the travel kit? The base of the razor has an M1 on it. Is this a 1942 razor? Most of the kits I see do nit have the nail care bits or the old truck logo. I am sure the kit is common, but what do I have here? If it is 1942, was it a WW2 kit?

Definitely a Travel Tech, some of us would kill for that Old Spice mug. I don't know that I would use those blades packed in the case with the razor. As for the brush and soap I have no input.

Good luck!

Those are Aussie Spoilers. Some of the finest blades ever. They are still superior today to use

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Those are Aussie Spoilers. Some of the finest blades ever. They are still superior today to use
Yes but the OP does not know the condition of those blades and may or may not be able to judge their condition relative to use, therefore, I do not recommend their use.

Congratulations on getting possibly everything you need, and some excellent starter gear right off the bat. I got many decades of shaving using very similar gear.

Wash that soap puck off and it might lather just fine. Williams Mug will set you back about $2 or less for a puck, if you need something else. Shave sticks are a thing. Arko is extremely cheap and produces a great lather. If you don't like using a the stick, just smash it into your mug.

The particular brush is a classic Ever-Ready boar that was in production for years and years. Heck, somebody may still make them under some brand somewhere in the world. Yours may shed hair. Some do, some don't. Omega sells plenty of very equivalent boar brushes for under $10.

The Old Spice mug is a desirable (but not expensive) collectible.

The only knock on the travel tech is the short handle. Great starter razor! A full length Tech should be $10 or less if you find it at a thrift store. The travel razor will shave you just fine and you can take it anywhere.

Decent razor blades can be had for $10/100 in the usual online locations. My son buys Astra SPs for $10 or less. At that price you can change them as often as you want.

Fact is, the improvements you will get by spending more money, even a lot more money, are small compared to the improvements you will get as you become experienced with traditional shaving.

My only advice for beginners that may not be easily found on this forum: the longer you let the lather soak in to your whiskers before you start shaving, the more comfortable and closer your shave will be. Gillette used to advise three minutes.

Congratulations on getting possibly everything you need, and some excellent starter gear right off the bat. I got many decades of shaving using very similar gear.

Wash that soap puck off and it might lather just fine. Williams Mug will set you back about $2 or less for a puck, if you need something else. Shave sticks are a thing. Arko is extremely cheap and produces a great lather. If you don't like using a the stick, just smash it into your mug.

The particular brush is a classic Ever-Ready boar that was in production for years and years. Heck, somebody may still make them under some brand somewhere in the world. Yours may shed hair. Some do, some don't. Omega sells plenty of very equivalent boar brushes for under $10.

The Old Spice mug is a desirable (but not expensive) collectible.

The only knock on the travel tech is the short handle. Great starter razor! A full length Tech should be $10 or less if you find it at a thrift store. The travel razor will shave you just fine and you can take it anywhere.

Decent razor blades can be had for $10/100 in the usual online locations. My son buys Astra SPs for $10 or less. At that price you can change them as often as you want.

Fact is, the improvements you will get by spending more money, even a lot more money, are small compared to the improvements you will get as you become experienced with traditional shaving.

My only advice for beginners that may not be easily found on this forum: the longer you let the lather soak in to your whiskers before you start shaving, the more comfortable and closer your shave will be. Gillette used to advise three minutes.
Thank you vety much. You typed what I was thinking and trying to do. My goal is a quality shave on a budget. I am not interested in collection or high end luxury. I want bang for the buck/ value for the money. These tools should last decades and will not got $20 a month for trendy blade cartridges or electric razor heads. I realize now that the equipment I have is pretty normal and I am ok with that. You folks are wonderful. I will keep an eye out for Williams and Arko. I will clean/soak the unknown puck I have and see what happens. If it does not work well, it will still be a great practice puck. Learn a lather/ brush technique with it. Next thing you know DE shaving will be automatic and I will understand why a system like this “just works”. I like this “less is mire” approach.

It’s a bunch of old stuff.

A lot of the guys will be glad to dispose of them for you. They might even pay for shipping.

Thank you vety much. You typed what I was thinking and trying to do. My goal is a quality shave on a budget. I am not interested in collection or high end luxury. I want bang for the buck/ value for the money. These tools should last decades and will not got $20 a month for trendy blade cartridges or electric razor heads. I realize now that the equipment I have is pretty normal and I am ok with that. You folks are wonderful. I will keep an eye out for Williams and Arko. I will clean/soak the unknown puck I have and see what happens. If it does not work well, it will still be a great practice puck. Learn a lather/ brush technique with it. Next thing you know DE shaving will be automatic and I will understand why a system like this “just works”. I like this “less is mire” approach.
Be careful I started out just looking for a quality shave on a budget and well now......and that's not everything
ej1.jpg
ej5.jpg
0228201956.jpg

Top Bottom