What's new

Help Identifying Vintage Simpson Best Badger Brush?

I picked up the brush below at a shop last weekend and after spending a few hours researching, I figured I'd post a few photos to confirm what I suspect is a vintage Simpson Best Badger Shaving Brush. I came across it in a store on a bottom shelf--it was sitting handle down in a non-descript "shaving mug" for $10. Having quite a few vintage brushes already, and not being in the market for another brush, but once I picked it up and felt the knot, I could tell it seemed of better quality than the average rubberset or Ever Ready brush, so I bought it and gave them back the mug to resell. The shape reminds me of something from the '60s-'70s, but it was the unusually soft knot and the bi-color brown and amber lucite (in appearance, but not sure it's lucite) that appears to have cracked internally from a fall (I don't believe the internal fractures are intentional, but are pretty cool when the light hits them). the sticker is pretty much worn off with the exception of the "ON" in Simpson I believe, the last bit of "made in England," and if you catch it in the right light, "Best Badger" is faintly visible just above the remains of the label. Someone probably knows when the transition or significance between the Made in England vs Made in Britain labels and when that may have occurred. The brush has some age and use to it, and there are a few cracks in the sides of the handle top, but the knot is firmly set in the handle and the knot itself is still soft, pliable and hasn't shed any hairs--but I have yet to give it a spa day because I wanted to get some photos before I clean it incase the sticker comes off. If the sticker does come off, I might give it a light wet sanding and Flitz polish to bring out the shine.

If anyone has any info on this brush or confirmation that it is indeed a Simpson, it would be much appreciated.
Simpson 1.jpg
Simpson 2.jpg
Simpson 3.jpg

Oh yes, it’s just a matter of time, my only rule for any of my vintage razors brushes and aftershaves is that they have to get used at least once, and then find a spot in the rotation “no shelf queens” here. Just like my kids, “I love them all, but I do have my favorites.” Oddly enough, I reach for the vintage brushes more than the new ones.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
That is a very nice brush. Great find in the wild. Congratulations on the acquisition.

Top Bottom