What's new

Help identifying this Ever-Ready SE

I have recently acquired the following:

proxy.php

I bought it mainly for the Every-Ready Featherweight, but I was wondering what the other razor is.

I think the other razor is the Ever-Ready Jewel, but am not sure. What is the shave like with Ever-Ready Jewel, anyone use one?

If it is an Ever-ready, then it is a "Streamline" but if it is a Gem, then it's a "Jewel". However it doesn't really matter too much as these two models are essentially identical in everything but name. They are nice heavy razors (among the heaviest for a razor with a handle of that length. Mine weighs more than either my HD or my DL89L). They are very well made with some of the thickest chrome plating you'll see on a razor from that era. They shave well (if slightly aggressively) with a good blade (e.g. Gem stainless PTFE coated). Personally I prefer the 1912 model which though lacking the deluxe manufacturing standard of the Jewel /Streamline, gives a much smoother shave. (YMMV etc....)

If it is an Ever-ready, then it is a "Streamline" but if it is a Gem, then it's a "Jewel". However it doesn't really matter too much as these two models are essentially identical in everything but name. They are nice heavy razors (among the heaviest for a razor with a handle of that length. Mine weighs more than either my HD or my DL89L). They are very well made with some of the thickest chrome plating you'll see on a razor from that era. They shave well (if slightly aggressively) with a good blade (e.g. Gem stainless PTFE coated). Personally I prefer the 1912 model which though lacking the deluxe manufacturing standard of the Jewel /Streamline, gives a much smoother shave. (YMMV etc....)

It is a British Ever-Ready, so I suppose strictly speaking it is probably an Ever-Ready "Streamline" rather than a "Jewel". I was not aware that GEM also made a similar item! I found the following advert which would appear to add some evidence for this:

proxy.php

10 shillings in 1950 was a lot of money actually.

proxy.php

its missing the light blue safety lock box, and 1 box of the coruxx razor blades ( 2 boxes per set). this is a 1950's brittish made Ever Ready Ambassador set if i'm not mistaken.

Yes there is no box, the box in the picture is for the Ever-Ready Featherweight which was actually what mainly motivated me to buy the set. Do you have any picture of the Ever-Ready Ambassador set?

Last edited:
Top Bottom