What's new

Help identifying razor

Hey guys!

First time poster here, hope this is in the right place.

A few years ago i bought an old rusted straight razor off Ebay. Had it in a drawer for a couple of years but recently decided to get it up to shaving shape. It's starting to look decent, but now i've got a bit of a conundrum! I've found markings on it, but i haven't been able to find anything about the maker. Can someone help me out?

From what i can tell, the markings say:

"John Col
Burgessstreet"
Sheffield"

It looks like it could be the same/similar to this one: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-unique-john-col-23-burgess-400499756

The markings are a bit indistinct though, so maybe someone can help illuminate this for me?

$20131114_211318[1].jpg$20131114_211420[1].jpg

It looks to me like you already found your answer

Just looking for a second opinion on if it might be right, and if so, who was John Col? I haven't been able to find any kind of information on it. Where do i look?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
John Coe
Knife, Tableknife, razor, manufacturer, 23 Burgess Street, Sheffield
From Whites Directory of Sheffield 1852

Very nice, thanks alot! Guess i've found my match then. Almost two hundred years old, if that's correct. Feels sacrilegious to be sharpening it now...

You are sure it's John Coe and not Col?

Edit: Found another picture of one made by Coe, and it's an exact match. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
No matter, you have a very nice blade, and I would get it fit, and sharp, and shave the hell out of it. I thnk it would be sacrilegious not to use it.

Well, that's what i'm going to do! Just have to find someplace that sharpens it locally since i don't have any stones fine enough for shaving. Thanks!

Where are you located? There are several fine fellows on this site that would probably put a fantastic egde on it just for the price of shipping.
That's part of what makes B&B such a great place!
Bil

Well, that's what i'm going to do! Just have to find someplace that sharpens it locally since i don't have any stones fine enough for shaving. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sweden, fairly close to Stockholm! I do sharpen my own knives, and im fairly good at it, but getting that last edge on a straight has so far eluded me. I can get it to where a knife would be considered scary sharp, but it just doesn't feel like it would shave smoothly yet.

I'm doing the "No shave november" thing though, so haven't been able to try it out yet!

Top Bottom